Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tensioner adjuster question (Read 302 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Tensioner adjuster question
Reply #15 - 12/29/10 at 11:26:20

OK got it off--no big deal. I now understand the concept. I just tucked a shop rag under it and let it hang over the open side--nothing shot out or fell and if it would have, it would have fallen on the floor. I can't imagine how anyone could let it fall in that oblong hole. So anyway, mine is at 18mm out and there's another 14mm or so still inside. I'm thinking I could have gotten a few more miles out of it, but why chance it. I'll be sending it to Verslagen to rework it as soon as I save a few bucks. I know I should get a new chain and guides too, but $$ is scarce. I have other necessary things to worry about also, such as tires and brakes. I hope to get 1 more summer out of it and then maybe o-haul the motor.
Well anyways, thanks for the advice. Funny how the things that sound the most horrible, sometimes end up being easy as pie.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/29/10 at 11:56:24

Cool, How many miles on the bike?

The purpose of the verslavy is to get the most out of the chain and guides.  As it is, you run out of adjustment halfway to the wear limit on the chain.  And I would pull the guide back to make the chain as slack as possible and exercise the chain and feel for any stiff links.  Rotate the engine and feel again.  Maybe dab a little grease on the sections you looked at and continue till it's all looked at.  A stiff link is a spot that could break.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/29/10 at 16:41:35

And as far as stuff jumping off and running down the rabbit holes, your current cam chain tensioner job will involve a small circlip and a small shouldered bolt and a small spring and a larger spring all of which have been held captive against their will since the bike was built on the Japanese assembly line.

Either one of which will scream "FREEDOM" louder than Mel Gibson did when wearing his insides on the outside & they will bolt for them rabbit holes just as soon as you free them up enough to do so.

Wink     then it will be you a screaming at them trying to get them out of the deep dark oily nook & cranny filled sump

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 12/29/10 at 20:25:16

Mileage--there's 19,600 on it--original chain and guides. I'll be checking the chain and guides tomorrow, in the daylight. If I run out of adjustment 1/2 to the wear limit on the chain, then I should be safe for a while yet.

OF--no problem with the clip, bolt or either spring. I used to be a boyscout.....I was prepared. Like I said, I had a couple shop rags draped over the entire open side....under the adjuster. Anything falling or jettisoning would hit the floor. And I must be a young, sturdy 54. My fingers had no problem holding it together, well beyond the 10-15 second limit.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 12/29/10 at 21:27:15

Yeah yeah, feeble old man -- I know.  

Not like I don't get reminded often enough by reality, but now Drums has got to tell me out loud no less .....

Still, for the delicate handed ladies among us (or the feeble old men) it is still a good trick to know about once you have a second hole to put the bit but into anyway.   Makes the job a lot easier especially when your holes put you most of the way into full compression.

And you did ask how to kept the ratchet pawl from engaging when you didn't want it to engage, so I told you.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 12/31/10 at 06:36:21

Very good. And I thank you.