Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jump Start for a Savage (Read 355 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Jump Start for a Savage
12/22/10 at 07:28:47

OK, I admit I don't have much mechanical experience with motorcycles, so I'll ask here.

Background:  I was at work, and through a series of mis-steps, ended up with a flat battery.  I called the wife who came and got me and took me home so I could get my truck and take it back and load it up, bring it home, and put Battery Tender on it.  Couple hours and it had enough to start, so a positive end.

Now the question:

Since I have the Battery Tender pigtail attached to the battery, could I have plugged in the adapter that came with it, the one with the plug on one end and the battery clips on the other end, and clamped them to a set of jumper cables and jumped it from a car?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Jump Start for a Savage
Reply #1 - 12/22/10 at 08:02:52

IDK what size wire that is, but Id bet its not fat enough to handle that kinda current, so I doubt using a battery tender pigtail would be a good idea for the end of a jumper cable connection, However, you can hook up & charge the battery, using cables, then once the battery is hot enough to Almost start it, all by itself, Then you should be able to boost it on off with the cables.

You can put some heavier leads on & have a place to hook cables.
I guess ya Could fire the starter with the jumper cables, straight on the starter & avoid the battery all together, but IDK what kinda damage could be done to the charge system by running a really low battery on it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/22/10 at 08:18:44

Tanker2Biker wrote on 12/22/10 at 07:28:47:
Now the question:

Since I have the Battery Tender pigtail attached to the battery, could I have plugged in the adapter that came with it, the one with the plug on one end and the battery clips on the other end, and clamped them to a set of jumper cables and jumped it from a car?

I have done it that way once, remember that you are hooking the leads up backwards though.  red becomes black and so on.  I used a car charger on low though.

A quick jump should be ok, but prolonged charging or starting may melt them.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 12/22/10 at 13:43:47

When I have a low but not dead battery that needs jump on my Savage I use a portable booster pak, one phillips Screwdriver that I have slid a piece of clear tubing over (wrapped with electrical tape or shrink tubing would work also) the shank leaving the bolster under the handle and the tip exposed. I then slid  the rubber boot back on the + terminal, and with a helper, ground the - lead and touch the end of the SD firmly on the head of the battery clamp bolt. Works every time except when you forget your new booster has a switch that has to be on to connect the internal battery to the leads -DUH!! Do remember that the built in charging system is a battery maintainer, not really a charger so this way works if you crank to long or leave the key on too long after a ride. I do not recommend you do it on a nearly dead battery. Well maybe to get the bike on a trailer or in the bed of a PU.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #4 - 12/22/10 at 20:15:39

Actually, wire can easily handle 1000A per mm^2. Use a 10mm wrench. Clamp + to wrench, attached to + terminal. Connect ground pretty much anywhere you see silver color, engine block preferred. To jump start, use anything relatively heavy that can supply 12V (12Vbattery, large transformer etc.)

I actually did this this morning because of my POS battery...

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 12/22/10 at 20:56:27

i've jump started thumper many a time, i used a small screwdriver to touch the positive terminal. then i touched the screwdriver with the jumper cable.  that hasn't happened since i bought the big crank.  i highly recomend one, and it was cheeper than a normal replacement.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/22/10 at 21:19:36

1000A per mm^2.

Maybe Im not trackin,, can you explain that more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/22/10 at 21:33:45

1 mm^2 corresponds to 17 gage wire.

Next common gage up is 16 gage, rated for 10 amps

it might carry 1000 amps but not for long.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/23/10 at 07:38:59

verslagen1 wrote on 12/22/10 at 21:33:45:
1 mm^2 corresponds to 17 gage wire.

Next common gage up is 16 gage, rated for 10 amps

it might carry 1000 amps but not for long.

Milliseconds dont count much toward useful current carrying capacity.
1,000 amps would make that wire work like a fuse.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #9 - 12/23/10 at 08:41:36

I've been running my 2000 watt power amp (150A roughly) in my car on 10 gauge wire for the longest time. It's "RATED" for 200 A.

When you take about wire ratings, you CAN NOT say all 16 AWG wire is "rated" for x number of amps. You have to take into account the insulation for specific wires. I can think of 16 AWG wire that's rated for 10, 20, 40 and 80 amps. You're referring to ampacity as opposed to amperage.

The only problem with large currents is heat. Heat will cause the terminal connectors of the wire to heat up beyond their thermal capacity, melting them and possibly igniting them. Nothing will happen to the wire itself. I've tried it, and as long as the insulation is a monster heat conductor, like my wire for my car amp, you're set.

But on all seriousness, wrench + jumper cables. So much safer and easier.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/24/10 at 00:31:47

feelinjunky wrote on 12/23/10 at 08:41:36:
I've been running my 2000 watt power amp (150A roughly) in my car on 10 gauge wire for the longest time. It's "RATED" for 200 A.

When you take about wire ratings, you CAN NOT say all 16 AWG wire is "rated" for x number of amps. You have to take into account the insulation for specific wires. I can think of 16 AWG wire that's rated for 10, 20, 40 and 80 amps. You're referring to ampacity as opposed to amperage.

The only problem with large currents is heat. Heat will cause the terminal connectors of the wire to heat up beyond their thermal capacity, melting them and possibly igniting them. Nothing will happen to the wire itself. I've tried it, and as long as the insulation is a monster heat conductor, like my wire for my car amp, you're set.

But on all seriousness, wrench + jumper cables. So much safer and easier.

I wish it was easier to expla9n things like this. Typing just makes it almost inpossible, so slow & tedious. I wish I understood what youre saying. I have an associates degree in electronics, but some things I simply do not get or remember.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #11 - 12/24/10 at 07:29:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/24/10 at 00:31:47:
I wish it was easier to expla9n things like this. Typing just makes it almost inpossible, so slow & tedious. I wish I understood what youre saying. I have an associates degree in electronics, but some things I simply do not get or remember.

Agreed. You either have to type pages, in which case people won't feel like reading it, or type 2 lines and people will be so confused. I try to go in the middle, but either way, you can't really win.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/24/10 at 10:16:33

Is there something I could go look at that would be a tutorial?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 07/24/11 at 18:55:41

I made my bike (see my signature block) easy to jump.

I found a used battery ground cable laying around (from my old '81 GL1100).  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

The cable I've added dead-ends under the black rubber hose section I've used for a cover over the "hot" end of the cable.  There is no connection to the starter motor (even though it looks like it DOES connect to the starter motor somehow in the photo).

All I need to do to jump this beauty is to pull the section of rubber hose off the end of my added cable,  connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's positive terminal and my added cable, and connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's negative terminal and any handy ground on my bike.  I carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables in the bike's trunk.

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage).

« Last Edit: 08/17/11 at 18:34:40 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #14 - 07/24/11 at 19:04:57

As long as it's not completely completely flat, why not just run with it, pop the clutch into 2nd (with choke 1/2 open) get 'er running and then drive home (also charging the battery).

I've done it a couple times myself, works fine & battery is still working great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:25:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jump Start for a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.