Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions on Boulevard S50 (Read 196 times)
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Opinions on Boulevard S50
12/21/10 at 12:29:08

Been window shopping on CL for bikes - like the look of the boulevard S50.  Looks a lot like the S40 with the low seat, etc, simple lines.  I know it is v-twin, shaft drived, air cooled, etc. but it looks like it might be more economical than comparable hondas and kawasakis.  Any opinions/scuttlebut on these bikes?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Opinions on Boulevard S50
Reply #1 - 12/21/10 at 12:58:55

I believe LostArtist and jef.savage both have S50's.  They should chime in soon, or you could PM them if you want.  They are the only ones I can think of that have them, but there could be more...  I'm sure you will get some opinions.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/21/10 at 13:03:50

water-cooled...

...good power, top heavy, more cramped seating, more difficult and expensive to maintain....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 12/22/10 at 03:40:19

I bought a low-milage '06 S50 off a co-worker back in Oct. of '07 as a replacemnt for my 1st LS650 ('03 Savage) ... for a few reasons, got a GREAT price on it and it resembled both the Savage and the Sportster; a couple of my favourite motorcycles ... and I thought I wanted a "bigger" Bike ...

Anyhoo, long story short, I didn't keep it ... sold it in June '08 after only Riding it for a couple months. Wasn't really fussy on the Bike at all ... as a previous poster noted, the Bike while relatively light-weight is top heavy and IMHO was a poor slo-speed handler. Also had to be muscled into turns much more than the LS. Gas milage wasn't great and the location of the darn battery and the resultant shenannigans getting that bugger in and out really pissed me off! I also found the Bike kinda lacking in "character" as compared to the LS650.

Don't get me wrong ... the VS800 Intruder/S50 is a good Bike, a tried and true platform that for some people would be ideal ... it just wasn't for me. I replaced the '06 S50 not long after selling it with an '05 S40 ...

Here I am with the S50 back in Jan. '08

The S40 I replaced her with!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #4 - 12/22/10 at 07:21:17

I have been looking at these as well.  I have also been wondering about how the leg length feel for them.  I'm going to try and find a used one that someone will let me test drive so I can feel it.

IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #5 - 12/22/10 at 08:00:23

Carlos - did you ever get your S40 sold? Just curious, as I did see it on CL from time to time.  There was a nice Maurader on Columbus CL week or so back, I think the guy wanted $1900, it needed a chain he said, I spoke with him and we was in Hillard.  
It was a single seat, windshield, etc.  Do you remember seeing it?  Anyways it was not to bad of price or look.  
I am going to try an 01SV we have, gotta lower it, but I wanna carve a few more curves this year, and I miss the twins.
Good Luck!

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/22/10 at 11:00:36

the S 50 is a good bike, if you are looking for a lot more power over the S 40, you won't get it from the S 50, it's ~150cc's more power but it weighs ~100 lbs more so it almost cancels out. the seating position is the same between the S 40 and S 50, so if you are comfortable with the S 40 you will feel the same on the S 50,  depending on your weight I guess will depend on how much you feel the pick up speed at speed, it accelerates faster at speed at least.

If you want a bigger bike without the big bike weight try an S 83, same styling, almost exactly the same seating as a S 50 just a bit more reach for both feet and hands.

The S 50 is a bear to work on though, it has two carbs, and 2 air filters, the air filters can be a pain to get to, I want to change mine soon, and I'm kinda dreading it a bit, you have to take the carbs and tank and a bunch of stuff off to check the valves, then, well, valves are valves so there's 4 for each cylinder, with an S 83, the valves have hydraulic lifters so you don't have to worry with them.

so if you really want something different, get an S 83/intruder 1400

the handling is okay, I guess, I can't really tell you too much I do a lot of straight line cruising, no real turny roads around here so I don't have much experience knowing how turns should feel on a good handling bike.

gas mileage is 40-50 or so, and riding habits can make that vary drastically.  

they are built solid, they have a 20 year production history so there are lots of books and internet resources and parts and everything isn't hard to find.

personally I wish I would have kept my S 40 and then got a S 83 or a sport bike/triumph bonneville if I found one that was a great buy.

there's not enough of a difference between the S 40 and S 50 to really justify a change and the S 40 has a lot more real customizable options and is more fun to work on.  with the S 50, you get what you get, doesn't make a good bobber, no way to make it into a cafe style.

hope that helps

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/10 at 11:02:40

Tanker2Biker wrote on 12/22/10 at 07:21:17:
I have been looking at these as well.  I have also been wondering about how the leg length feel for them.  I'm going to try and find a used one that someone will let me test drive so I can feel it.

if you're ever down in the galveston/alvin area let me know, I'll let you ride my S 50 if you let me ride your ride

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/22/10 at 11:58:40

oh, well, just a small addition, the s-50, s-83 can make pretty cool choppers with a long raked front end, if you're into that kinda thing  Wink

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #9 - 12/22/10 at 17:46:52

LostArtist wrote on 12/22/10 at 11:02:40:

if you're ever down in the galveston/alvin area let me know, I'll let you ride my S 50 if you let me ride your ride

I'm free tomorrow if that works.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/22/10 at 18:42:00

Tanker2Biker wrote on 12/22/10 at 17:46:52:
LostArtist wrote on 12/22/10 at 11:02:40:

I'm free tomorrow if that works.

tomorrow no good, sent you a pm

IP Logged
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/23/10 at 12:24:55

Thanks all for the feedback.  Sounds like for me I'd mainly just be adding some high end cruising speed for distance over the s40.   I'll cross it off my list of fantasy next bike unless someone makes me an offer i can't refuse....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:25:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions on Boulevard S50

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.