Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)
Reply #825 - 07/01/12 at 05:13:43

Finished sharpening my new crop of $1.65 each "don't cry when you lose one" pocket knives -- these are cute little rip offs of the old Gerber lock back design I do believe.   Nice little pocket knives in a 6 for $9.99 plastic pack off the center table.

Fine fine belt sander followed by edge hone on a stone, I was done with the whole lot in an hour and a bit.

Nice little knives for the price, blade steel seems a bit soft (easy to sharpen means easy to dull) but all Chinese pocket knives feel that way to me.

=======================

Something that we talked about on the trip was a change in week date -- current week was picked to suit Toymaker's summer school teacher type needs and we don't have a Toymaker around any more.

Some mentioned first week of June as first time it gets warm enough for short sleeves up in the mountains.   Last week of May, first week of June would avoid that tire killing people wilting heat completely and roll us back towards jacket or long sleeve riding weather.  It would also roll us back away from the crush of people wherever we went as that is "too early" for the main vacation season peak crowds.  

Tires would last longer too.

=====================

The Dragon Lodge has become a little more and more difficult to deal with each year and I think them actively picking Lancer's pocket for $79 when we rolled back into the single room was the last straw -- I say screw staying there in the future.   Plus I hate having to dodge the cops all the time every time you go up hill -- Tennessee's attitude towards bikers around the Dragon really does suck.

There are two other formats we have used on Blackline trips that seem to work out OK.

One is to base camp at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Cabins at two beds fer $45 (or 3 fer $15 each with one on an air mattress).  This greatly simplifies reservations and planning as DURING THE WEEK no reservations are needed (nor are any enforced by pocket picking).  Food is a very short ride up the road at a real town, or it can be gotten at the kitchen if you sign up for the meal ahead of time.

Having stayed at both, we will miss having a personal bathroom and the big fridge.   An ice chest full of beer will have to suffice.   It will do though if we must have a base camp.

The alternative is to have no base camp, to Hotwire.com a $29.99 hotel room at place A, ride around it some then proceed to place B and the next $29.99 hotel room.   When blacklining in a small group this is a good format as the local cops don't get to recognize you as you aren't around there very long.   Rooms are nice, generally have a fridge & TV and have a free breakfast.

Next, speed limits.  North Carolina has a 55 mph default that plays anywhere it isn't posted otherwise.  Tennessee seems to like a 45 mph default or else they just post it (or something less) everywhere.   And they like to give warnings and threaten $176 tickets then send their buddy just a little bit down the road to nail you for 1 mph above the posted limit.   They gets their chuckles out of it (and a large part of their budget revenue most likely).  

NC cops have better things to do ....

Riding speed became an issue on this trip for the first time, as did staying together as a group as we busted up a ride with two having to go back to look for the one that wasn't ready to leave from a rest break on time and got separated/lost.  

We had one new one that wasn't able to even reach the speed limit reliably (went home early because he was getting "too beat up trying to keep up with the group") and we had Dave as a new one who was always able to run in #2 or #3 position and had no issues keeping up whatsoever.

Age/back/legs/fatigue was an issue too, as the younger feeling wanted to ride for 6 hours at a shot and the older feeling wanted to stop and take a walk around break every hour.

====================

Lastly, I got caught by the fuzz this time for going at a normal curve speed on the dragon (50 mph) and given a no cost no insurance notified warning ticket as a courtesy service of the Sheriff's Dept.  

(which I told the man "I appreciate that, Officer" because I did appreciate it)

Part of my permanent Tennessee sentence was to be permanently magically transformed from rasty green frog to wimpy sissybitch, which lasted until I got firmly back into North Carolina territory again and far far away from them narsty Tennessee Sheriff and Highway Patrol execution teams.

And while I was being humiliated by the Police, two gold wing pairs came up all grinning like fools, stopped along side and the wimmen took pictures of me getting my ticket. Seems they liked that a whole lot because I had just passed them upstream in the corners a little bit roughly.

And then sitting over at the next overlook there was this 7 man row of grinning Savagers who all wanted to see my ticket, and MM who cried out a bit in disappointment that it was jest a warning ticket and what lies did I tell that policeman to get out of the $176 fine I so richly deserved?

And then I had to ride like a wimpy little sissybitch all the rest of the morning since we were headed deep into Tennessee territory and I had been promised a Tennessee necktie party for going only ONE (1) mph over the 45 mph limit anywhere in that state forever as my 20 over the limit warning ticket stays on their computers forever.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/01/12 at 08:00:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #826 - 07/01/12 at 07:10:28

Please don't quote long posts in their entirety, it makes things all ugly & unweldy for folks to try to read -- just refer to "upthread" or if you do have to quote something please cut out all the unnecessary verbage.

One thing you did not mention Oldfeller.....maybe it was not an issue for the group.  That is the Tenn. law enforcements penchant for confiscating you "spending money" under their questionable drug/organized crime laws. I've known of several guys from the Louisville area going on bike vacations into Tenn. that had anything over $500 taken away because the cops "knew that much money has to be for drug buying"! One guy lost $2500 he was taking to buy a bike down below Nashville.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #827 - 07/01/12 at 07:35:48

Zuk, MM -- is this true?   They bust you then take all your loose pocket money?  

If so, that sux big time.    

However, if you do some "careless and reckless" speeds (40 over the limit) NC will sometimes throw you in jail and confiscate your bike.  

Especially if any drinking is involved ....

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #828 - 07/01/12 at 07:59:45

I got back yesterday to a very welcoming wife.....they had a big thunderstorm in northern KY on Friday night and she had been without electricity for nearly 24 hours.  No cell phone access in the area around the lodge made it impossible for her to reach me.  The good news is that the electricity came on 1/2 hour before I arrived home.....so I did not have to break out the generator.

On the way home I got to witness a 15 mile traffic jam in the southbound traffic where the Interstate is down to 1 lane because of a landslide....I believe it was just south of Knoxville....but I am not sure.  On Wednesday when I drove down it was smooth sailing through this area.....but the Saturday traffic proved to be too much for the area and it looked really horrendous.  Those poor travelers were caught in an outside temperature of 103-106 on the blacktop highway as indicated by the thermometer in my car.

I had a great time and really enjoyed the good group of people that welcomed me into the pack.  All were very helpful and friendly - on one ride I thought that it was amazing that a group of friends were out on a ride together......and there were more than 6 states represented by the license plates.  The roads and scenery were all perfectly designed for a bike like the Savage.

I am new to riding on the on the road and my bike survived the weekend - but the ticking noise that concerned me shortly after I bought the bike has become a far more pronouced knock.....and it is time to take the bike apart and see what is causing it.  Thankfully the bike never really threatened to cut my riding short and ran great - with only a few people looking on in disgust to see where all the racket was coming from.  The rattling is most pronounced at idle and low speed - so the trips through the parking lot were the ones that got the most attention.

Thanks to all my new friends for sharing the weekend with me.....It was great!

Dragon_003.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #829 - 07/01/12 at 08:02:40

I believe it true ...  Big Brother ... does what ever he wants !

and  

They call for back-up real quick if ya doin't like it.  Then the real #$%^ hits the fan !!!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #830 - 07/01/12 at 08:06:27

Yeah, my honey bear was glad to see me too.   Nothing like leaving them for a week to go hang your ass "out on the line" to make them appreciate you coming back in all safe and sound.

My chair was taken over by the dog though, he didn't appreciate getting tossed back on the floor and being demoted to "dog" status again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #831 - 07/01/12 at 11:23:47

Well, my return trip thru ohio didn't work out. When I left deals gap, I went to find phone service and called my cousin in ohio, only to find that they are in maine this week. So I just headed home instead. It was an uneventful ride home. I left deals at 7:45am sat - arrived home at 3:15am sun. Thats 19.5 hours for aprox 1050 miles. No tickets (or warnings). I hope everyone made it home safely. I only took a few pictures that I will upload later. No video evidence available.

« Last Edit: 07/02/12 at 05:05:48 by ALfromN.H.  FSO »  

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #832 - 07/02/12 at 06:17:49

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #833 - 07/02/12 at 09:10:59

Well, I'm kinda late checking in, but my return trip went as expected EXCEPT for the HEAT.  Wow, Friday and Saturday were unbelievable!  Fortunately I learned a long time ago to stay hydrated and lathered up with sunscreen!  I have to say I'm looking forward to next year.  I'd be in favor of finding another base camp such as Blue Ridge Motorcycle resort or even the National Forest campground (Cheoah) that I found at Santeelah Lake, only about 10 miles south of Deals Gap, more convenient to Robbinsville for supplies (other than alcohol), and with a lake for swimmin' in.

I enjoyed my vacation "muchly" thanks to the Savage Pack!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #834 - 07/02/12 at 12:48:13

Hey, did you guys notice the photo & letter from "Digger" in the cafe at the Dragon ?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #835 - 07/02/12 at 13:53:19

I didn't see it.  Why are ya jest now pointin' it out?  Huh

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #836 - 07/03/12 at 09:11:22

serenity3743 wrote on 07/02/12 at 13:53:19:
I didn't see it.  Why are ya jest now pointin' it out?  Huh

I did not notice it until the last day when everyone else had left.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #837 - 07/03/12 at 10:08:19

Hey MMRanch......I think your bike is leaking something!

MMRanch.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #838 - 07/03/12 at 16:20:14

Dave wrote on 07/03/12 at 10:08:19:
Hey MMRanch......I think your bike is leaking something!

It was very hot ... it drank a lot of liquid ... could not hold it any longer Smiley)

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #839 - 07/03/12 at 20:42:32

It did consume a lot of liquids !!!

I don't think mine was the fuel millage champ this year.   Seems like everytime I put in 1.3 gal. somebody else was putting in 1.1 gal.

I enjoyed burning every drop of it though !

Smiley

I'm trying to post a couple of pictures but doin't do it offten enough to remember how with out going to photobucket.

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:25:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.