Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)
Reply #810 - 06/22/12 at 13:11:12

No, he's just been kinda quiet recently ......

He DOES get all fired up occasionally, but he apparently doesn't like it very much and so he always blows himself out & quits the scene.

This time we are gonna put jumper cables on him, shoot a shot of ethyl ether down his throat and see if we can get him to poot fire for us.

« Last Edit: 06/22/12 at 16:59:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #811 - 06/22/12 at 17:48:29

REX is alive ... as of today anyway.
He has been just a weeeeee bit persnickaty the past couple of years !

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 03:35:12 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #812 - 06/22/12 at 22:03:58

Good-Old-REX  

He's a hansom feller , and comes from good stock (best I can tell).

I was looking for a replacement bike not that long ago and just couldn't find any better stock than the herd REX is from.

Hope he keep feeling well !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #813 - 06/22/12 at 22:38:53

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/daily-weather-forecast/344623

Look at this beautiful weather and drool, all you pea green folks who jest wish you could go ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #814 - 06/23/12 at 04:06:20

Ready to go
Ready to go
Ready to go   Cheesy

Well, I still have to pack up but I am ready to get there and play in the mountains ...

yyyyyeeeeeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww !!!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #815 - 06/24/12 at 06:45:15

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #816 - 06/24/12 at 10:54:20

My truck is loaded and ready to go. Still need to throw in some last minute things in the morning. I guess I'll be camping out in virginia monday and tuesday night (gonna find somewhere to ride tuesday). Then arrive at Deals gap on wed afternoon.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #817 - 06/24/12 at 15:56:43

Well I am loading up the trailer today......It is a tight fit!  I have never had 2 bikes in this tiny trailer before.  I had to take off turn signals from the rear of the Kawasaki, both fuel tanks, the mirrors on both bikes, and the headlight surround on the Kawasaki to provide enough clearance.  I will get them all situated tonight - but I will wait until Wednesday morning when I leave to snug the tie downs all the way.  I sure hope I don't absent mindedly leave some of the parts behind.  The last part of my trip is on the "Dragon".....I may be one of those moving obstacles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #818 - 06/25/12 at 06:38:56

I wonder if you should have had this guy along for the ride.  Time will tell.  Oh, that's right -- this isn't the harly forum.  Wishing you riders a safe and fun trip.  Pics and updates, people.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fchamea...

Signed,
Green Eyed Monster

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #819 - 06/29/12 at 17:34:18

Alive, down from high thin air.

Rex lived, for one full excursion then he cracked his carb mount support.  He was king of all he surveyed when he was running though.

Nobody got hurt, only one warning ticket was doled out by Tennessee Sherif's dept.

Pavement was hot, tires wore 2x more than expected.  Brakes overheated, rotors turned blue on several bikes.  

4 are still at the Dragon, they will come home Saturday.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #820 - 06/29/12 at 18:36:59

Just got finished reading through all of this,  sounds like alot of fun.  Maybe one of these years I'll get a chance to take the trip as well.  Only way I'd be able to afford to do it though is riding all the way up there. The truck uses way to much fuel to load the bike up and bring it out.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #821 - 06/30/12 at 13:24:38

Here is a pic of Rex.   Rex ran like a top until the machined top carb mount developed a stress crack and broke.

===============

Here is a pic of Lancer next to his really cherry looking new burgundy & white.   Big Zuk's head is in the front of the shot, he was looking good on the trip and was the one to follow for best lines and best speeds in the turns.

==============

Here is what 104o day temperatures do to bike rear tires -- they simply rub the soft rubber compounds off and jest evaporate the tread depth.  

Rotors turned blue and the riders wilt and dehydrate.   This tire had half of its thread depth when I arrived at the Dragon and I left a day early because of the heat and total lack of traction (I was spinning the tire when heeled over exiting a sharp turn).  Rode the final part of the trip home starting EARLY Saturday (early 2:00 AM dark and cool) to nurse the tire home as it got better traction when cold and I think it wore a good bit less on the cool night pavement.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #822 - 06/30/12 at 16:16:12

OldFeller

We missed ya Friday night , lost ya at the knife works place somewhere !   We went  to CrackerBarrel and took the long way back to the Dragons Head.  

It all get over too fast !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #823 - 06/30/12 at 20:26:08

I saw from the parking lot that even Serenity was in there with us all there at the same time, but the place is soooo durn big with so many floors and nooks and crannies crammed full of people that I went around the place twice and never saw anyone.  

So not needing any more $1.62 each pocket knives I left to hit the road on home.   Stayed with the niece on Friday night and left from there at 2:00AM so that I did most of the long ride home in the cool of the dark.

Saw 4 deer, 1 fox and 3 possums all shining in my high beams.  Them ugly ol' possums are jest plain stupid, one of them made my wheels go bump again by running in front of me instead of running away from me.   Got most of him off in the next town with a spray hose at a big all night convenience store (I have learned that fully dried possum guts are really tough to get off your bike if you wait until you get home).

Tire never did show any cords but it did get right slick acting when the concrete road pavement got all hot around noonish.   Tar roads weren't that bad.

To avoid running down I-40 as much as possible in the afternoon heat I took Jones Creek Rd 339 from Sevierville and then flipped over to Hwy 32 which has just been paved.   Some right beautimus fresh flat pavement with the mountain laurel growing right up to the edge of the pavement -- think 32 miles of Dragon type curves with no tilted embankments and no cops and only two cars seen the whole time.   Second-third gear work, mostly.  Still has 2 miles of unpaved at the end of it though, so you can see why the road is like it is -- they have graded and gravelled the old goat path into a road bed to prep it for paving so I think the rest of it will be paved soon.

There are a ton of similar roads once you get away from the main areas, rural farm roads and logging roads that have been taken over by the state and paved.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #824 - 06/30/12 at 21:31:55

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/30/12 at 20:26:08:

I saw from the parking lot that even Serenity was in there with us all there at the same time, but the place is soooo durn big with so many floors and nooks and crannies crammed full of people that I went around the place twice and never saw anyone.  

So not needing any more $1.62 each pocket knives I left to hit the road on home.   Stayed with the niece on Friday night and left from there at 2:00AM so that I did most of the long ride home in the cool of the dark.

Saw 4 deer, 1 fox and 3 possums all shining in my high beams.  Them ugly ol' possums are jest plain stupid, one of them made my wheels go bump again by running in front of me instead of running away from me.   Got most of him off in the next town with a spray hose at a big all night convenience store (I have learned that fully dried possum guts are really tough to get off your bike if you wait until you get home).

Tire never did show any cords but it did get right slick acting when the concrete road pavement got all hot around noonish.   Tar roads weren't that bad.

To avoid running down I-40 as much as possible in the afternoon heat I took Jones Creek Rd 339 from Sevierville and then flipped over to Hwy 32 which has just been paved.   Some right beautimus fresh flat pavement with the mountain laurel growing right up to the edge of the pavement -- think 32 miles of Dragon type curves with no tilted embankments and no cops and only two cars seen the whole time.   Second-third gear work, mostly.  Still has 2 miles of unpaved at the end of it though, so you can see why the road is like it is -- they have graded and gravelled the old goat path into a road bed to prep it for paving so I think the rest of it will be paved soon.

There are a ton of similar roads once you get away from the main areas, rural farm roads and logging roads that have been taken over by the state and paved.

Sounds like everyone had a high old time! Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to run down from northern Kentucky and meet up with the gang.

By the way Oldfeller,your route home sounds a lot like the roads around home...except we're more rolling than hilly!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:24:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.