Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)
Reply #765 - 06/07/12 at 16:06:29

serenity3743 wrote on 06/07/12 at 12:59:51:
MMRanch wrote on 06/06/12 at 21:51:28:
Just got home with a Newer bike...

got the 05 with 10k miles  for 1650.00

its midnight  ,,, I'll check it out tommorrow !

Goodnight. Smiley

Way to go!!  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  Can't wait to see it!

BTW, To any of the guys who are trailering or otherwise NOT biking to get to the gathering, Can anybody find a decent guitar to bring with you?  I CAN lug my guitar, but it's bulky.  Just might be fun to have one to strum around the campfire in the evenings.

I may be able to get one; my son should still have his first one.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #766 - 06/07/12 at 21:28:23

I've got a Guitar ... 6 of them ....  

One of them is a Martin travel guitar (back-packer).   It looks kinda funny "I've had people say "WHATS THAT ! "" .   I kinda like to strum and pick a little too.   I understand people get HURT when I sing so I keep that part to a minumum !  Grin

Southpaw can sing and play good enough to draw a crowd .   I'll see if I can get it tied on somehow.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #767 - 06/08/12 at 05:24:53

Thanks, Lancer and MM.  I've seen and played one of the back-packer guitars, I think it was a Martin also.  You guys work out what to bring and I'm sure we'll be happy with whatever turns up.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #768 - 06/08/12 at 21:06:28

Well

Lancer mine is a "Classic" style , so bring your too and we'll have a "Picker and a Strummer".   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #769 - 06/09/12 at 08:12:23

Lancer,
Money sent by PayPal this AM for my part of the room cost.
Thank you for sticking your neck in the money noose for all of us!
I will have cash on hand on Monday to cover any cost this payment may not cover.
Now I got to get in the garage and install the new front tire! Wow me on the Dragon with tires with tread....I'm look'n forward to a great ride Smiley

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #770 - 06/09/12 at 13:30:36

Well.....in preparation for the trip I went out and actually rode my bike for about 150 miles today.  I needed some fiberglass sound packing for a SuperTrapp muffler - so I picked a motorcycle shop in Maysville, Kentucky and it is about 60 miles away if I take the easy route.  I rode back roads and want past the tornado damaged area in Peach Grove, Kentucky and then down to the Ohio River and out Route 8.

I have to say......I can ride my trials bike for 3 hours without getting nearly as tired!  On the trials bike I move around and change positions and.....sometimes fall down.  On this Savage thing I just sit there and wait for the bumps and potholes to throw me up out of the seat!  I guess I got some more practicing to do before I come down and "Tame the Dragon"!

Also.....I sold my Kawasaki Super Sherpa to a woman that lives in Ashville, NC, and I am hauling the bike down and she will come over and pick it up.  Not sure on the timing, if I will meet her somewhere on the way down, or if she will come over while we are there.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #771 - 06/11/12 at 05:25:48

Dave, Looking forward to meeting you.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #772 - 06/11/12 at 05:43:16

serenity3743 wrote on 06/11/12 at 05:25:48:
Dave, Looking forward to meeting you.

I am also looking forward to meeting everyone and adding names and faces to the group.  I have never put many miles on street bikes - this will be a new experience for me.  I have a trials bike and spend a lot of time in the woods alone - riding with a group is not something I have ever done.

See you all in a few weeks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #773 - 06/11/12 at 07:34:10

Must bring things ....

Experience has taught us Dragon old timers a few things that we didn't bring and that we wound up missing a lot.  

Bring a full face shield helmet  (them rain drops, bugs and butterflies hurt when they smack you in the face).

Bring a small riding towel (hand towel) to keep in your bags for rain drops, butterflies and bugs.   It can wipe sweat and get the oily stuff off your hands too.

Sunburn when riding 6-8 hours a day is a certainty -- bring sunblock and one long sleeve shirt.

Bring whatever you use for jock itch and athletes foot -- you may need it.

Brief rain showers are just part of the mountain experience -- you find that you dry out pretty quick from the riding wind and we won't stop for you to put on a rainsuit.

Bring an aluminium water bottle full of gasoline to keep in your saddle bag.  You might not need it on a given day's ride, but somebody will.   Some of our loops are over 110 miles and some of our bikes crap out at 90 miles.   Them little bottles of gas save hours and hours of delay time for the entire group as you can quickly dump one in and make up the difference.

Don't bring more than 2 changes of clothes -- we run a load of clothes about every other evening and everybody's stuff can go in tonight's load for free.

Bring an extra map -- you first map wears out gets torn up gets blown away by the mountain breeze over the edge to nowhere.

Bring more pain meds than you could possibly need -- you will need them on the trip home.

Don't bring anything bigger than a $20 bill -- ma & pop country stores can't make change for a $100 bill.   Charge cards work just about everywhere, except the smaller ma & pop country stores.

Bring a small camera if you want to -- we don't stop for a lot of photo ops.

Bring your cell phone charger.    Your cell phone won't last a week if you leave it on all the time.

Cell phones only work in the bigger mountain towns -- ditto for wifi.   Unless the Dragon lodge has upgraded tremendously, they lack both.   TELL YOUR WIFE NOW ABOUT THE CELL PHONE/WIFI LACK OF RECEPTION SO SHE WON'T GO TOTALLY APESHIT WHEN SHE CAN'T GET UP WITH YOU.   Your wife spends the entire time worrying about you, so please stop and call her every time we go down the mountain to get something to eat.  

Guys who are trucking in ....   please bring some clothes washing detergent and softener sheets with you please.   They want to rape you for the stuff at the Dragon Lodge and you will want your clothes washed too .....

What did I forget ?????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #774 - 06/11/12 at 10:05:48

YIKES!  I just researched the route I will need to take to get to the Dragon.......and the official directions that the resort has posted shows that I will be driving on "The Dragon" to arrive.  I will be in a Pontiac Vibe towing an enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles in it!  (I sold my Kawasaki to a woman that lives in Ashville and she is going to pick it up on Wednesday when I arrive).

Does anyone have a route to suggest that will keep me from becoming a "slow moving road block" on the Dragon?  I don't mind taking a route that is a little longer - if it keeps me from making enemies of the people I am going to be riding with.  I don't want people recognizing my car/trailer in the parking lot and taking out their revenge for the delay or close call I may have caused.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #775 - 06/11/12 at 11:35:23

Don't sweat it, half of them came that way dragging a trailer or a truck, so don't worry about it -- you got your bona fides riding in the back ....  just wave them around in a good turn and slow down so they can make it by safely.

They are going around you anyway, you know -- they LIKE a good rolling steeple chase barricade to jump over.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #776 - 06/11/12 at 12:37:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/11/12 at 11:35:23:

Don't sweat it, half of them came that way dragging a trailer or a truck, so don't worry about it -- you got your bona fides riding in the back ....  just wave them around in a good turn and slow down so they can make it by safely.

They are going around you anyway, you know -- they LIKE a good rolling steeple chase barricade to jump over.

Also, there are lots of places to pull over to let the bikes pass.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #777 - 06/12/12 at 05:17:20

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 06/11/12 at 12:37:43:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/11/12 at 11:35:23:

Also, there are lots of places to pull over to let the bikes pass.

I might attach a big mirror on the back of the trailer.  That way the bikers can watch themselves until I can get to the next pull off.  The only part that worries me is that we have a lot of birds that fly into our windows at home as the reflection of the trees in the glass fools them.....I hope the same doesn't happen to my trailer/mirror with the riders.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #778 - 06/13/12 at 05:25:05

Bigzuk wrote on 06/09/12 at 08:12:23:
Lancer,
Money sent by PayPal this AM for my part of the room cost.
Thank you for sticking your neck in the money noose for all of us!
I will have cash on hand on Monday to cover any cost this payment may not cover.
Now I got to get in the garage and install the new front tire! Wow me on the Dragon with tires with tread....I'm look'n forward to a great ride Smiley

Bigzuk

Got it; thanks

I have received advance payment for the room from Bigzuk, Dave & Serenity so far.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #779 - 06/14/12 at 11:12:08

Check again, I sent you money for me and Bill Young.

(Paypal shows it as completed as of June 14th)

« Last Edit: 06/14/12 at 12:27:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:20:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.