Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #600 - 02/22/12 at 08:48:56

Johnson City’s Southern Dozen

Came accross this on  Crusier post here in Cafe:

AnyOne rode all 12 ?

could make a full week fitting all 12 of em end !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #601 - 02/24/12 at 08:19:35

Introducing Bill Young, our age group, rides a Honda 550 straight 4 that he has refurbed from various sources.   He has planned to come Dragoning with us 2 years ago but wasn't able to make it due to circumstances cropping up.  

Bill is of a type to fit in just fine with the group.  His 550 makes more hp that we do, so he should have no trouble keeping up equipment-wise.   His problem may be handling more than raw power, as has been the problem with the Sportsters and BMWs in years past.   Bill tools it around pretty good, but it is a vintage straight four with vintage Honda handling.

I will encourage Bill to log on and chat some on the thread as we need to start an occasional roll call up as we are 3-4 months out.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #602 - 02/24/12 at 20:25:14

Come-on-Bill

You may not be the only Honda to show !

I have a brother thats in love with his V-65 and has been for a long time , it does keep-up on the straits but not the twisties.   No there ain't nothing wrong with it .

Be advised I tore-up my sportster trying to keep-up with these guys last summer !
Not that they are a illresponable bunch but Harleys are no match for SAVAGES .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #603 - 02/25/12 at 23:29:24

That was a declared nasty black line ride of some consequence, with experts only attending.   It was a tough mother of a ride, it was.   Beat my poor old body badly, it did.

This Dragon is a lighter duty ride, with civilians coming and all.

You me and a few others may get way out ahead and let rip a little but I doubt we'll be killing the bikes or the bikers all that much generally.

By the same token, we will post the standard "bike maintenance alerts" the month prior to the ride to get folks to sort out their bald tires and worn out brake pads (which we have seen in years past on civilian rides).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #604 - 02/26/12 at 16:31:06

MMRanch wrote on 02/24/12 at 20:25:14:
Be advised I tore-up my sportster trying to keep-up with these guys last summer !
Not that they are a illresponable bunch but Harleys are no match for SAVAGES .

MMRanch,
You aint talking about that little ride I led you and Oldfeller into the hills of North Carolina last year are you?

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #605 - 02/26/12 at 18:34:12

Aaaaaaaaa

Yea Zuk that would be the same ride alright !

Seems like them Harleys doin't like going from 2000 to 4000 up and down , repeattly.  

The Drive sprocket on the primary worked loose to the point of wearing out the teeth on the crankshaft.   There ain't no taper to tighten up on .    

By time I got it fixed , I was ready to get rid of it.
I traded it  off  last Saturday !

Well :

my first experence with a Harley my be my last !

Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #606 - 02/26/12 at 21:01:33

Wow, sorry to hear that. My bad I didn't mean to kill your hog  Shocked
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #607 - 02/27/12 at 10:51:46

hee hee   Grin

He did it on the road to Mt. Mitchell  --  remember when he tried to lose us?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #608 - 02/28/12 at 07:15:57

Zuk

Your a Hog KILLER ,  and  OldFeller  your just plain Sadistict !

But ya'll all ready knew that ,,,   Grin.

Yea ,  Wifes car has been showing some signs of high millage  ,  so I went ahead and got another car , so she woin't be  Car-Less while I patch the ole one .  Meanwhile I'll get 40+ MPG on rainny days.    My truck only get 20-22 .

Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #609 - 03/03/12 at 10:01:41

What kind of car tire was that?  I'll be needing a back tire soon and thinking about this option.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #610 - 03/03/12 at 20:48:39

Tony

I've had  a B.F.Goodrich "Radial T/A"  on the rear of mine for the last 22 thousand miles and its 2/3 wore-out.

It was going along just fine at (35#air) ,  

Last summer I droped it down to (24#air)  so it could "Grip" the Dragon better.   That was a big mistake : as long as it was blowed up good and hard it couldn't flex the corners and work the cords.   As soon as I lowered the air presure and put some "REAL" stress on it  the cords began to seperate.   I'm still riding on it but above 75 mph it now has a out-of-blance feel to it.

So keep them car tires on motorcycles blowed up good and everthing will be "GREAT" !

Last summer I did pass one of them 100Hp crotch rockets that didn't want to be passed .   and made the one in front of it  run for all he was worth  and still cought him on every trun !    That Raidial TA is a great tire
Mine is a 155/80-15 ...... it will fix you speedometer error for ya too !

It comes in 155/60-15 also .

Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #611 - 03/16/12 at 11:05:57

First Maintenance Warning

We are about 3 months out -- look at your tires and decide if they are going to make it to the trip (and back again).

Front brake pads need an oggle about now too -- looking now gives you time to order the parts and for them to arrive and you to do the change outs without being in a big time bind.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #612 - 03/16/12 at 21:44:28

Savage won't dry rot and separation.  The Yammy might make the trip as long as you'll wait at the top for me and it to get there. Smiley  Got the road name "Sparky" on the dragon last year from the floorboards dragging every curve and I thought we were going pretty slow.  The others agreed, we were going pretty slow.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #613 - 03/18/12 at 14:46:35

Just ask the trip leader for that trip where the meet up spot is going to be -- we always string out on the longer runs if someone fast is leading.

Somebody slow leading,  not so much a string out problem.

We ain't lost anybody yet .....

===============================

We are talking about the excessive fast wear that takes place on the tires and brake pads.    

We have had 1-2 rear tires give out on the trip so far and at least one set of totally bald front brake pads.

Nobody has brought dry rotted tires yet.

===============================

Sparky floor boards, huh?     You and Toymaker can swap sparky stories if you want,  remember my sparky stories are a little harsher than that and involve large hurleys going to the right and to the left sideways after speeding up after I passed them.  

You have to get Lancer or MMRanch to tell you my sparky stories anyway, I never saw them personally because I wuz gone around the next turn by the time they completely harikari'd themselves.

I can tell you some Toymaker sparky stories from when I followed him in Al's white pick up truck ---  Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #614 - 03/19/12 at 03:49:25

"We are talking about the excessive fast wear that takes place on the tires and brake pads."    

Yep, everything is stressed when riding harder and pushing the bikes beyond the easy cruise of day to day riding; unless you live in the mountains of course and that is your daily ride.
Tires, brakes, bearings, controls, cables...everything needs to be in prime condition and serviced.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.