Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #510 - 10/08/11 at 13:40:32

SuperSavage

I just looked-up the   " Americade"  .   It looks like a fun event.   I'm not sure I could aford the motel rates.  

but I'm ready for a replacement for the Dragon every year ,  its a great place but we've been there and done that.

I'm good with a camp ground to save $$$    and the time frame is about perfect.

If we can fine a afordable place to stay , I'd like it.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #511 - 10/08/11 at 18:29:11

+1 on the summer Dragon run sorta getting to be like a "well done" burger to me.

Smaller, more specific more adventurous runs with fewer people tend to be more fun anyway.

Riding in a line with a "line Captain" and having lots of rools to follow would give me the pip, I think.  

MMRanch can't even do it any more -- he gets throttleitus and rips up the line and says "got a call, gotta go !!" and whumppppp he's over the horizon.   And that's on his Hurley too.

Plus, they would all be slow fat Hurlies with pork chops a hanging off on every side, and I ride a certified "bad to the bone" pork chop eating Savage.

Me, I'd wait until they were deep deep in the double yellow line curlies and rip them off by the 2-3 at a lick plus whatever panel vans and cars were interspersed into the traffic.

Smiley        ..... the look of absolute shock & terror on shotgun momma's face is too too precious as they get passed to the inside when they are "cranked over all the way" and going "as fast as you can possibly go" and are waggling all fat in the turns from all the G forces being generated by nearly a ton of Hurley power.  

Wuuppppp !!!

Timing, week after Labor day is jest about perfect for temperature and leaf drop.    

We actually were a week or so too deep into leaf season this year as we had leaves on the road (which for us Rumpelstiltskin types is a bad thing as we go around corners way to fast and when you hit a leaf you slip over 3-4 inches on that tire instantly).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #512 - 10/09/11 at 06:46:02

If anyone has any rides planned for late feb. or early mar. let me know. I'm thinking about maybe taking a week off around then and wouldn't mind going someplace where I can ride(obviously way south).

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #513 - 10/10/11 at 20:21:01

OldFeller  your right , I can't stay behind a "ride captain" unless its one I'm doing good to keep-up with.   I got some of the local CMA members to draging pegs on a trip to "Fall Creek Falls" state park (TN).  
Well the ride captain was poking along I was #3 in line.  So on the straits I'd drop back and catch-em on the turns.  The riders behind tried to do the same . Most of the time I could hear Floorboard scrapping and brakes a squeeling behind me.   Well it was OK execpt if there were two curves in a roll I'd end up braking in the second one due to rider #2
By the end of the  ride about half of em were Smilling   Smiley  and the rest looked kinda like   Angry   .   The ride captain was on 2002 Sportster 1200 and had no excuse  Undecided   ,  but I felt like Grin at the bunch of em.  Nothing personal agains em but I need a funner bunch of riders ...

So I'll be looking for a neet place for us to ride next year.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #514 - 10/11/11 at 11:02:57

It sure is nice to ride without pain again.
I need to spend more time riding...being broken really eats up the riding season.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #515 - 10/11/11 at 11:14:13

Lancer, are you gonna be up for a small group ride sorta on the lines of what you, me and MM did last year?

We need to try to get BigZuk to come out and play again, I needs my yearly Mountain Rider refresher course, I do.

We've upgraded from jest killing us some Hurleys to smacking us some fast moving road critters, so be prepared for that little change up in theme.   Life can be tough when you is going out hunting squirrels and possums wid a motorcycle.

We also go "anywhere" and we like to change up the scenery every day.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #516 - 10/11/11 at 14:52:21

what time frame ya lookin at ?

Im in Sacramento getting ready to get hitched again.
yep
Will be home about mid Nov

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #517 - 10/11/11 at 16:19:14

Well Congraulations Lancer and the soon to be Miss'

Please tell me she's a rider !  

Mine still shows no-intent .... not even on the Suzzie 125 "N" modle, cuite little street bike.   Its almost a bicycle w/a/motor.

The Heavy Cruser makes her smile long as the trip isn't over a hour at a time.

I'm going to have to change my name to something unsavorie if I take another trip this year.    A day ride would be truble free  so ya'll make your way west toward TN. so I can meet-up for lunch kinda thing.

My Savage still has "Piston Slap" up past 3000 when I make it pull.  Plan is to put a new piston in this winter, and do something about that oil leak in the head area.

Whats her name Lancer ?          

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #518 - 10/12/11 at 12:21:36

Sounds like a life changing event there Lancer -- congrats on finding a female better half.    Are you gonna stay in SC or move on up north?

Me, I believe in marriage, can't imagine not being that way.

===========

Trip, next spring or next fall, small sized -- meet somewhere with some good roads and go do 'em.   No more than 4 people, most likely -- and one of those will have a last minute issue and not be able to come (you know the drill, it isn't like it hasn't always happened that way each time we try to do these things).

Must admit, the Hotwire thing has opened up a whole lot of territory we have never considered before.   Also, it seems you get better hotel rates ($29) at the very large tourist spots (lots of underutilized competing hotels in the area).

Case in point -- you can stay at Gatlinburg (2 people in a room) with beds, bathroom, TV, pool, breakfast and all for LESS MONEY than splitting a cabin at that MC place we stayed at.  

About half as much $$, as a matter of fact.    

Or, we could swing further north into the Ski Slopes of the East Coast zone which supposedly has some good roads up there that we haven't ever ridden.   This would be around Banner Elk and Boone general area.

BigZuk, MM, when does spring time finally get to warming up good in the mountains ??  I mean 50s at night and at least 75 in the days?   I googled the question and got lead to the month of May with early May being a bit colder and middle May getting up pretty much in the ball park.

Late May sound good to any of you guys?

The main Dragon run will likely take place anyway -- lots of people still like that Dragon breakfast too much to give it up.

The alternative is a fall trip the week after Labor Day ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #519 - 10/12/11 at 12:44:36

I'm thinking that I could do 2 trips down south next year. So maybe I'll do the spring(may) ride and then the fall ride. Although I do like the dragon group that was there this year. I liked the dragon group EVERY year that I've gone but this year we seemed to do alot more riding than in previous years. I'm up for almost anything so keep me(everyone) posted.

AL

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #520 - 10/27/11 at 10:21:41

MM has already admitted he can't stand playing "follow the leader" very much unless the leader is making a pretty good pace.

He has been affected by our little road trips to some degree.

Me, I just passed 2 consecutive 16 wheelers (32 wheels end to end) in a 45 mph turn zone with traffic coming both ways.  

Have any of the rest of you Dragon boys noted any other lasting effects from our little jaunts?       Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #521 - 10/28/11 at 18:57:00

o-YEA

OldFeller your a bad influnce on anybodys habbits but a good influnce on riding ability.

Mabby you've seen one to many epesoides of "Dukes of Hassard" ... You ain't originally from Kentucky are ya ?

Al   by time spring gets here I'm sure I'll be praying for perty weather and itching for a ride.   I even had the thought about seeing the country from your neighborohood.  
That brings up the question ....  How understanding are the Troopers in your area about the OldFeller types ?   Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #522 - 01/23/12 at 02:03:55

It is 2012, and the world is supposed to end at Christmas time this year.

Do we still have one more group ride in us?   This would be ride #6, or #7 if you counted all of them -- or Dragon Ride #5 if you just counted the ones were the group stayed at the Dragon Lodge.

Last year we took a format of one relatively more normal Dragon Lodge ride, followed by an expert ride where only the absolute crazy people went.

I stayed away from the normal people group (which I have been doing for the last 2 summers by either coming early and leaving early, etc).  

This has been intentional as I found out that oil and water don't mix very well, and I find myself putting normal riders at risk unnecessarily.  Even the very good normal riders.  

I admit, I have become partially crazy and only see opportunity when I see traffic stacked up in front.  The risks I will take shock me, looking back at them.

On this last trip, we were running down wildlife as a fairly common occurrence, slipping our tires in turns and riding crazy in the rain with Fall leaves on the road fer crying out loud.

As a ride, it was the best one ever because we went on a path that covered EVERY ONE of the A+ roads in Tennessee and NC.  There was no base camp, we rolled from town to town to town as we went to A+ roads to A+ roads.   It was a constant rush of a ride.

I learned something during the trip -- I am getting too old.  My body simply can't cash the checks my mind can write.   My Savage riding friends are getting old too (although BigZuk can still wax my butt at will -- He is still the best rider of the lot of us).  

BigZuk and I were both on our pain pills during the end of the ride and I will state for the record he has far more powerful meds that he takes than I do.  His pain is greater ....

(his meds made my trip back home quite nice, BTW as I ran out of mine and he shared some with me)

What does this mean for Dragon Run 2012?

I propose a more standard Dragon run for those who want to ride with a better degree of safety.  

If any of the crazy people come, it will be BigZuk and/or MMRanch on his newly hopped up Savage and they can play leader of the pack.   MMRanch is sociable, and he is always up for a road trip, plus he can be rational as he has this philosophy of never going over twice the posted speed limit and he is afraid of cops to a degree I don't seem to have in me any more.   He is much much safer to be around.

What would be a nice trip path?   We have been everywhere except the Boone ski resort areas and I really don't think the roads are gonna be a great improvement over what we have already ridden.

Thoughts?

What would you like to see as a group ride this summer?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #523 - 01/23/12 at 13:31:58

I think I'll be able to go at any time. I just need a few weeks notice to plan the time off at work. It would work better for me if we have a base camp because of needing a place to leave the truck. I don't  mind staying at the dragon but I'm up for anything. Looking forward to hitting the road.

AL

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #524 - 01/23/12 at 13:32:41

I like using the Dragon-otel as a base.
It is easy to work from; cheap when sharing sleeping space; has food, kitchens, gas, laundry and plenty of other helpful bikers if needed.
Gathering around the fire in the evening for adult beverages and meat while planning out the next days ride with whoever wants to go on the same type of ride is nice too.
It is practical.
I'm certainly open to other areas though if anyone has recent direct experience with another place.  
I do prefer a base camp though, so I don't have to haul stuff around every day when riding.
Just a few thoughts of the top.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.