Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #465 - 09/07/11 at 11:24:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/07/11 at 10:30:45:
Aim for Wednesday then, we will be up at the camping cabin Wednesday night and I believe there is cell service in the area so we can swap phone numbers through PMs.

10-4

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #466 - 09/11/11 at 02:17:45

One Week Out report:

So far things still look good for the weather.

Here is weather in Maggie Valley / Bryson City area:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/maggie-valley/28751/forecast-details.asp?fda...

And here is the weather in Pidgeon Forge / Gatlinburg area:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/tn/gatlinburg/37738/forecast-details.asp?fday=11

And here is the weather in Little Switzerland / Black Mountains:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/little-switzerland/28749/forecast-details.as...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #467 - 09/11/11 at 10:30:07

I'll call Dad and get the Mt Mitchell forecast the day before lift off.

Grin

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/burnsville/28714/forecast-details.asp?fday=11

« Last Edit: 09/11/11 at 13:11:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #468 - 09/11/11 at 13:14:27

OK, any you others out there who wanna go ahead and declare for the trip since the weather is coming up totally GOLDEN and beautiful and nice and fine?

Can't get no finer riding weather .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #469 - 09/11/11 at 20:14:58

I might wear my leathers anyway this time.  

The trees ought to be showing off this time of year !

Just talked to that brother of mine , He's covered up in work and glad of it.  Winters comming on and jobs get scarce the later in the year it gets.

One last ride befor cool weather gets here.

Cool

« Last Edit: 09/14/11 at 22:35:21 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #470 - 09/12/11 at 10:09:38

TIME TO CHECK YOUR FRONT BRAKE PADS, rear brake lever to marks, oil change/top up, air pressure front and rear.    Check your battery water level and give her a good luck slow charge if you add any water.

Get your ride right, because we will be HARD RIDING a lot of heavy braking twisting turning gut churning adventurous dangerous miles.

Wink    (unlike them west coasties who think a curvy road has turns DOT marked at 35 mph)

LAST ROLL CALL

Please respond by saying were you are meeting up with us and that you have PM'd me your cell phone number so we can call each other at the meet up spots.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #471 - 09/12/11 at 10:18:05

OF I PMed you my cell ph #. I've been having trouble sending PM's. If you dont get it let me know.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #472 - 09/12/11 at 10:40:15

No, got no pm from you, sent you mine though.  

Where are we meeting you?    http://www.linvillefalls.com/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #473 - 09/12/11 at 10:50:55

Mines 2122 Boogy Woogy Avenue. I recieved your #. If I make it I'll be on highway 80 1.5 miles on the other side of the parkway.I can hook up with you guys anywhere around 80. It dont look good. I went to my Doctor Fri and I've lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks. My blood pressure has dropped too low. She almost put me in the hospital. Told me not to drive until my blood pressure got back up. My blood pressure to is low 90's over low 60's this morning. I'm one of these people thet my blood pressure has to be 120 to even function. A lot can happen in a week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. OF you can delete my ph # soon as you read this post.

« Last Edit: 09/12/11 at 19:12:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #474 - 09/13/11 at 16:56:33

I plan to meet yall at Wheels in time @ Maggie Valley. When yall go to the motel I will head home to Kodak. I plan to meet back up when yall start out from Gatlinburg.
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #475 - 09/13/11 at 18:55:21

Got PM from Kel, he ain't gonna be able to make it.

===================

Packing Light is Such a Joy --- all my clothes will fit inside my little saddebags along with a video and a still camera, should I actually feel like putting glorious fall colors on record to make everybody on the West Coast drool.

I am gonna pack one additional soft case strapped to the front of my sissy bar, it shall include one cuddly blanket and my good pillow, wrapped securely around a 13" laptop.   I will certainly use the pillow every night, and the blanket will come in handy on that last night in the camping cabin.

This is a civilized fall weather trip, WiFi is available everywhere but the camping cabin (and I might bring my WiFi long eye to see if that isn't negotiable too).

I'm bringing long johns, long sleeves and a riding coat and gloves as 73 for a high isn't very high and a low of 53 is downright chilly for early morning riding.

« Last Edit: 09/15/11 at 09:56:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #476 - 09/18/11 at 01:59:05

I'll leave tomorrow AM at about 6:00-7:00 as I will be taking back roads and staying off the I-40 mess as much as possible.   Likely stopping a lot too, legs and all.  Not rushing ....

I will be sitting at Wheels Through Time at 2:30 though, peaceably reading a paperback book and enjoying a very pretty Maggie Valley day.  

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/maggie-valley/28751/forecast-details.asp?fday=1

If stuff happens and you are running late -- we may have left the Wheels museum and gone to check in at the Microtel Suites right up the road from the Museum (on the left).  

We are in room 110 floor level near the lobby

*(Legally required information if the group ride happens to include a Hurley Divotson product which will break down at least once on the way up)

« Last Edit: 09/19/11 at 13:56:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #477 - 09/19/11 at 16:14:28

I left at a quarter till 7:00 AM this morning and my Savage ran great, and there was only temporary traffic in front of me -- all of it dissipated at once when I used the Secret Magic Word for the trip  (Wax ON !!) and was instantly magically displaced behind me.

Average speed for the trip up was 60-65 mph, I never touched I-40 and ran up Hwy 74 alternate (the little fun old twisty original one that goes by Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, Bat Cave, etc.)  I still remember going up that road with my parents when I was a kid .... and some of the same old stuff is still there, too.

I was eating lunch over a bubbling mountain brook at Chimney rock at 11:43 AM and deciding what to do with the extra couple of hours the magic word had created, so I went down the long looping round about stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway that goes all the way up to Maggie Valley.   Average speed Parkway was 50-60 with rubbernecking tourists instantly being teleported behind me (Wax ON !!  Wax ... Wax ... Wax .... Wax On !!)

Thought some about the guys who couldn't make it on the trip .... so I stopped at their overlook and took them a picture.

Weather was great, rode through some clouds up at the peak areas that fogged the road down to like 200 yds visibility but that is to be expected when you ride up 6630 feet above sea level.

Made it to Wheels Through Time Museum at 2:22 PM and waited for the guys to show up.   Place was polluted with Hurley hogsickles inside and out.

Blue Ribbon winner BIGGEST HOG of the trip.   He's just a bouncing baby boy,  but he sure is a biggun, ain't he?

Here is his Momma and his Daddy, a family that glides together stays together, that must work OK fer them Hurley folk as well.

There were some pretty neat miniature race cars on display as well as every sort of old cruddy motorcycle you could imagine -- it wuz a plum HUGE shrine to Hurleydom and it had at least a half dozen of every model of Hurley every made.

Here is the Hotel Room we stayed in -- right nice for $29

Our room came with its own plum tree growing right outside the window -- I plucked off all the ones within easy reach and ate them (they were very very good tasting)

If you look sharp in the background of this particular picture, you can see MMRanch showing the other guys the proper form of the BOYSCOUT BACK SPLAT dive (I done told him the pool warn't deep enough to dive in, but he's jest a splashin' beaucoups of water, not divin' proper-like).

Our $29 flea trap hotel is actually kinda nice, it has tv, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sauna, indoor heated pool, outside cold pool and seems to be in pretty good shape (no cockroaches at all that I can see)

Tomorrow the great adventure starts all over again .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #478 - 09/19/11 at 16:52:52

Maybe next year I'll dothe fall trip instead of the summer trip. Looks like you guys are having a great time, Keep it up.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #479 - 09/19/11 at 17:24:41

OF, I am not drooling, yet.. lol...
Nice you finally got this ride together.
Have a blast.. Keep the pics coming.. Hugs.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:24:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.