Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #375 - 07/18/11 at 21:31:32

Bugs are no problem, we'll hit them with gaseous Mungocide periodically.

« Last Edit: 07/19/11 at 06:00:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #376 - 07/19/11 at 06:15:15

Go to google maps

Once you get to the google maps start page then type in

Campgrounds near Little Switzerland

and click the little magnifying glass.

Ain't that the most bodacious display of Googlism you have ever seen?  Not only do you get each one plotted on the google map, you get descriptive blurbs and reviews on each of them in the side bar.

You can click on each blurb and it expands to give more info.

So, you think you like one from the description or reviews?  Go to the map portion and switch to Satellite and zoom on in to it to see what the driving range actual layout really looks like from an obsolete spy satellite.

Shopping for campgrounds, modern style      Cheesy    gotta love them 'puters

BTW, some timely info for our planning

Wheels through Time motorcycle museum is open on Monday and on Thursday for the purposes of this trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #377 - 07/19/11 at 13:45:34

Now, I know you guys were really wanting to go sleep in your separate tents,  but ....

.... that mean old beatch Hard Economics has come a callin' and she's slappin' our jaws right smart like.

$20 a tent, $15 extra per additional person in a tent --- it adds up right quick like.

I'm talking about this here place, which gets the best/highest 4.5 star ratings and the most (49) reviews of any campground up there anywhere near Mt. Mitchell.

http://www.linvillefalls.com/

Now I called the sweet little Granny that runs the place (and her name is Granny Hardcore and she ain't all that marshmallow sweet) but she makes some good sense when she talks it out with you.

She has a camping cabin with a queen bed and two bunk beds, a dorm refrigerator, and a front porch.  No sheets, no nuthin else but a bed, you bring a pillow and sheets or sleep in your bag if you want to.   $60 basic 2 person occupancy plus $2 for heat/ac plus $5 for each additional person.   They don't care how many you stuff in there, they have seen over 10 people in this cabin, laid on the floors and out on the porch.  $5 each of them past the first two.  

A cabin would cost us $70 split 4 ways (assuming we have 4 staying the first night)  4 could actually sleep on the queen and the two bunk beds leaving lots of room on the floor for other people if more people decide to come since it is rooms, not tents.

Or I could sleep alone in the queen bed and you could airmattress/sleeping bag on the floor and keep your reputation intact ....

Anyway, camping in tents will cost us 2-3 tents plus however they count our extra people.  

This means a cabin costs on the order of $5 a head extra a head not to have to pack all your camping gear.

==========================

Ditto for this place that we would move to that is on the other side of Asheville, except it is a lot cheaper (and it is as good or better a place and it is a lot cheaper to boot).

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

Now, this is a known goooood place to stay and has a 24 hour ac'd lounge area with TV and games and free wifi computer hook up.   I think it will be the better of the two places and it is cheaper to boot.

$12 per single tent, $19 for double tent, $5 per extra person

Cabin economics go like this, you get sheets with the cabin on the two single beds, no AC needed (cold at night) and the rate is for two and they didn't charge us extra for somebody sleeping on the floor last year.  By the time we got here, we would likely be 3 not four as Serenity isn't going the whole enchalada with us.

$45 a night for a cabin, sleeps 3 with one on the floor.

Staying in a cabin works out to $15 a head at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Resort and $23 a head at Linville Falls Campground.  In each case it is about $5 more expensive not to have to pack all your camping stuff.

Staying in a cabin means you pack a pillow and a blanket (and mebbe an air mattress if you are an old softie like me and are afraid of the floor).  

Your bike doesn't look like a burro going off gold mining on the way up and back and you don't have to worry about the trouble of tear down and set up on a tent.

Let's vote ....    

Oldfeller -- I prefer no junk and no hassles and I'll pay the extra $5 for each of you.

Midnight --

Serenity --

MMRanch --

PLEASE RESPOND -- Roll call vote !!!

Shocked   Tongue      Earl -- whut's that there twanging sound I hear off in the distance  
..... durn, somebody's a playing a banjo off in the holler again??
    Huh   eek    Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #378 - 07/19/11 at 15:56:04

Let's vote ....    

Oldfeller -- I prefer no junk and no hassles and I'll pay the extra $5 for each of you.

Midnight --

Serenity --

MMRanch -- $15.oo sounds like a good rate to me !   Being as hot air rises and  the windows are open .   The low place in the cabin might be the best place .

I'll pack a sleeping bag anyway.  

Cheesy

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #379 - 07/20/11 at 04:51:29

MMRanch wrote on 07/19/11 at 15:56:04:
Let's vote ....    

Midnight --

Serenity --  I vote "Yes" to the cabin versus the tent.  A lot less hassle, even though I'll probably bring an air mattress and sleeping bag.

MMRanch -- $15.oo sounds like a good rate to me !   Being as hot air rises and  the windows are open .   The low place in the cabin might be the best place .

I'll pack a sleeping bag anyway.  

Cheesy

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #380 - 07/20/11 at 06:12:01

OK, sounds like we got a quorum reporting in and voting -- we stays in the Linville Falls cabin on Monday night and Tuesday night we roll over to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle place.

Got me a check to write and stuff into the mail today then.

'Ol Granny Hardcore at Linville Falls is jest that, she only takes checks sent in the mail to hold a cabin -- said check gets cashed now and you don't get no take backs due to weather, etc.  

She's a tough old bird, I done told you that -- so's don't be pissing off the side of the porch late at night instead of head'n to the privy all proper like -- the old bird's gotta doublebarrel with rock salt in it that she uses fer incidentals like that.

But she sleeps 4+ in AC comfort and that's what we need fer Monday night.

Kerbam !!!!        Shocked     ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

« Last Edit: 07/20/11 at 09:10:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #381 - 07/20/11 at 11:25:17

Angry   Angry  Weather or not we can go, that's the question now .....

Mountain weather is unpredictable at best, so be prepared to be disappointed or overjoyed -- and to have it change on you periodically as we get closer in to the actual proposed go date.

This is Linville Falls, Day #1

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/linville-falls/28647/forecast-details.asp?fd...

This is Canton/Cruso, Day #2

http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/canton/28716/forecast-details.asp?fday=11

As you can see, day 2 and later goes completely down the toilet as you shift further west into the teeth of the oncoming rain system.

I have signaled to my bosses I may want to shift forward a week to start my vacation on August 8th but have gotten no feedback from them yea or nay at this point in time.  

Plus, until the forecasts roll out that far we got no knowledge about the weather that week.

« Last Edit: 07/20/11 at 14:22:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #382 - 07/20/11 at 21:33:28

The second week of August I have a family vacation.   Maby the wife will switch to first week and we can ride second week.   What kinda track record do the forcasters have ????    

How long befor it too late to change the room dates ?

Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #383 - 07/21/11 at 04:56:06

Meteorologists are g**d*** liars!  The muddafukkas said last Thursday there was a "30 percent" chance of rain. I rode to work (25 miles) and before I got there it was "30-percent"ing on me and kept on "30-percent"ing all day and I rode home in the "30 percent"ing that evening.   Angry       (My gut told me that morning they were wrong, but I wanted to ride anyway.)

As far as changing the week, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it that second week in August. But, Oldfeller, this trip is for you, so you make the plans that work for you. Wink

There's a 90 percent chance I can meet ya'll for lunch on Monday 1Aug.  There's a 60% chance I can ride with ya'll to Mount Mitchell that day.  And there's a 30% chance I can spend the night Monday night.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #384 - 07/21/11 at 05:08:40

Well, the forecasts for both places now say rain all week at both places for August 1-5,  for example on Tuesday they are predicting more than an inch of rain in Canton, so it ain't no casual sprinkle, its gonna RAIN.

Cabins, I'll hit the abort button on Linville Falls simply by not sending in the check and I will call both places to advise them of the cancellation.

At the University where I work the football players will be in for the third week of August and the entire student body will come pouring in the fourth week -- by imperial edict there will be no vacation for anybody during these spans of time.

===========================

Looking at September (and avoiding Labor Day on the 5th) we could aim at the 12th or the 19th, with the 19th being the very start of the leaf season up there.  

Once again, we can go for reservations with Blue Ridge Motorcycle being the most user friendly on the reservations thing.  
I won't send a check to Linville Falls for Granny Hardcore to just keep it if we guess wrong, so next trip I guess we go directly to Blue Ridge Motorcycle in Cruso as it is 1) centrally located to everything   2) user friendly on reservations  3) cheaper/better place to stay.

You guys get back to me on which week in September you want to shoot for as we need to get reservations in soon for the early leaf season -- they do fill up during these leafy touristy times.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #385 - 07/21/11 at 11:50:57

OK

The Aug trip is OFF.

Sept. is  a  "Can Do" ...

On Fridays  (starting middle of Aug.) I have a class (Guitar) to teach at our Home School group, and there is no one else to fill in for me if I'm out.   So I have to be back on Thrusday night.

Any Monday-Thrusday  I'm free !!!

Smiley

Mabby some of the other "Savages"  can make a fall color ride.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #386 - 07/21/11 at 18:21:20

Ain't sure how much color you'll get the the last few weeks of August, some color on the maples and dogwoods I expect but it takes an early frost to kick off the full glorious display of hardwood colors that people want to go see.

If you want to tell people about a color ride, we should bracket Sept 19th and Sept 26 as the two Mondays and let the folks who live up in the mountains tell us about leaf color that is coming on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #387 - 07/21/11 at 21:25:46

any excuse to take a mountain ride is better than none !

Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #388 - 07/22/11 at 07:02:47

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #389 - 07/22/11 at 10:02:26

My wife is having is having complicated back and neck surgery. Just found out she will be getting out of the hospital Fri before the trip. Our daughters baby is due Aug 8. I cant leave with all that going on, there's just no way I can leave with all that going on. My wife is going to need a lot of help and my daughter cant help out in her condition. Its gotta be family first this time. I'm gonna take a trip sometime in Sep with my riding buddy Charles. You guys met him last year at the Dragon last year. We'll probably camp. All of you guys are welcome to ride with us. I'll keep you updated on our plans. We're kind of planning on running the Dragon and the Skyway one day, spending the night at the Dragon and then head towards Mt Mitchell. Probably about a 4 day trip. We'll camp at Mom and Dads place. ITS FREE. I'll keep you posted. OF if you have any questions about roads or plans feel free to call me. I hate to sit this one out guys but I'm gonna have to. Maybe we can hook up in Sep.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.