Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #360 - 07/17/11 at 09:15:52

Ok, we gots a 3 man trip and building.    

Others can add in as they want to, camping is people flexible like no other system known to Man.   BigZuk or Kel or whomever is already camper capable so they know what to expect.

I will be packing a sleeping bag and a one man mini-tent although I am sure with MMRanch packing his Sporster we'll likely be staying in a folding Taj Mahal and eating like kings.

Midnight knows his birth turf, so he'll pick us a good spot to stay and BY GOLLY MMRANCH WILL FINALLY GET TO GO TO MOUNT MITCHELL.

MM, call Midnight and talk to him about it, you guys know all there is to know about what you want/need in a camp area.   I done already called him like about 10 seconds after he finished typing his number ....

Me, I tend to pull off the road under tunnels and by abandoned barns and stuff like that (I told you I was weird) so I'll let the marginally proper acting folks choose the camping locations.

hmmmm .....   I wonder if there are any trolls under this particular bridge to nowhere?

Trip is declared, camping style

« Last Edit: 07/17/11 at 10:26:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #361 - 07/17/11 at 09:26:13

Sometimes when you go hunting them odd camping spots -- you gets the troll ....

But sometimes you get the sweet bouncy cuties instead !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #362 - 07/17/11 at 11:40:02

Guys if we stay anywhere around Mt Mitchell pack a good warm waterproof jacket. It gets in the 50's, sometimes 40's at night. It rains about 20 minutes almost every day in the summer. I've seen it wind snow there in July. The Black Mountain Range got its name because it is surrounded by black clouds almost daily.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #363 - 07/17/11 at 16:36:28

Midnight,

If we were meeting up on August 1st for an early lunch (11:00 AM) at exit 125 on I-40 (you would exit right on exit 125 and go right on Lenoir Rhyne Blvd SE) you would have to pick between a Quznos, a Bojangles, a Biscuitville and a Starbucks for a quick brunch.    Or if you like to eat heavier for lunch, there is a Golden Coral or a Texas Road House.  Pick which one you like best for an 11:00 lunch.    If you like expensive yuppie pizza, they got a Magic Mushroom too, and a Tripps if you want to really impress somebody.

Any of them would allow me to sit and wait peacefully when I show up a bit early -- I have this issue with always getting places early, so I carry a paperback book with me and can sip a drink and wait cheerfully for the clock to catch up.    I sometimes take naps on stone walls up on the Cherohala, or I have stopped for a burger and a shake before going back up the Skyway to go find everybody.   Being early is my besetting fault I guess.

Now Toymaker and Serenity could stop by if they wanted to say "hi" and munch lunch with us.   I think they both know where Hickory 321/I-40  is and if they had a better suggestion for a meeting spot I'd be all ears.

You see, we will be meeting up like only 38-40 minutes from our final destination and only 15-20 minutes from their houses,  so its not like Serenity or Toymaker couldn't meet up with us to go run the Diamondback and then scoot on back home Monday night all safe and sound having safely avoided anything that smelled like a Dragon run.

Wouldn't have to even confess that they had been out for a ride, since technically anything less than 4-5 hours is a quick jaunt or little side trip -- not a real ride.

They could just say the truth, "I'm going to lunch with the guys when they meet up down at I-40 to wish them good luck on their trip".

Mind you, you won't be fooling anybody, but it gives "acceptable limits" to your domestic flak exposure that even a concerned wife could accept.  

Heck, bring them -- I like yer ladies and miss seeing them on occasion.  If you are bringing the ladies, there is a Texas Road House or a TK Tripps which would make them feel all special.   Or if they have a special spot they like better, we can arrange to meet there.

Roll Eyes         It's the google maps age -- we can find anything anywhere.

« Last Edit: 07/18/11 at 07:55:12 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #364 - 07/17/11 at 22:05:25

Wow

I'm glad you signed on Midnight , instead of wondering around for three days in the mountains we might accually find some cool places now !

Camping is fine or motel room either.   One of the parts I like best is cooking out .   but picknicking can end up in some really neat places.  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #365 - 07/18/11 at 05:25:04

OK Midnight,  first night we are camping where you wuz born, so all you need to do is tell to MM where that is.   Me and Serenity will be easy, we'll jest follow you.

Grin

Next night we will discuss once we are up there.  Eventually we will need to shift over to the other side of Asheville.   MM and I know of a nice motorcycle only place over next to Cruso on 276 with a right nice lounge area and some little cabins if you want them that are very sweet.  Last time we slept 3 in one of the cabins as when split 3 ways  it was just as cheap as each of us paying for camping and we didn't have to set up camp.  

This would be a good spot for hitting the Pigeon Forge and the motorcycle museum, and we have roamed as far as Cherohala/Dragon/East Tennessee from there.

All plans are temporary anyway as we'll do what we want once we get up there and get into it.

==========================

Is anyone bringing an inflation device of any kind?  I ain't got one (lungs).

Serenity's gonna meet us for lunch and ride with us for a bit.

Somebody still has to pick which place we are a gonna eat at.

« Last Edit: 07/18/11 at 07:47:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #366 - 07/18/11 at 08:12:45

I highly recommend the Wheels Through Time Museum. I went and saw it a couple years ago, when they were talking about moving out west. Apparently they decided to stay put. I don't remember how much the entry fee was, but I remember it was well worth the cost. Every motorcycle in the place is in running condition. And they often will take one out for a ride in the parking lot just to prove it. Your trip is shaping up to be one I might be able to do at least a day trip, possibly even an overnight. I'll stay in touch........ Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #367 - 07/18/11 at 08:15:06

Oh yeah. A good place to eat is Atlanta Bread just a mile south of I-40 at exit 125.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #368 - 07/18/11 at 09:47:53

OK, click on the inset map to open it up

http://www.yelp.com/map/atlanta-bread-bakery-cafe-hickory

Atlanta Bread  is 2 blocks south (left) off of exit 125 and 1/2 block over on Catawba Valley Blvd SE.

We will meet there on August 1st at 11:00 AM, much a light lunch and roll on over to the camping spot.  Should be there around 1:00-2:00 PM at the latest.

I have invited Motobudda to come up from Charlotte and show us a completed Ryca, he hasn't gotten back to me yet.   He may have to work on Monday August 1st -- most folks do.

I ditched the reservation at the Dragon Lodge -- gone gone gone

I mock packed my bike today
-- I look like a overloaded donkey with stuff across the front fender sideways and sideways over the back tail light.

Thought -- life is so much simpler and lighter if you aren't camping.  

If Midnight can find us a room or apartment to split on that first night I know we can get a 3 man cabin at Cruso that is as cheap as paying them to let each of us camp once you split the cabin 3 ways.

« Last Edit: 07/18/11 at 11:54:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #369 - 07/18/11 at 14:59:22

OldFeller

My tent is a 7'x7' (two man) ,  If ya want to lighten your load you can plan on half of mine.  

Tent , Sleeping bag , and back-pack .   I might have to leave early morning to meet for lunch ,  but its a "Can Do" thing.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #370 - 07/18/11 at 16:08:17

Cheesy     Ok, I'll ditch my tent and ground cloth.

Do you have an inflator of any kind?   I was oggling a nice deep twin air mattress but I'd be loath to try to blow it up by lung power and I was wondering if you or Midnight or Serenity had an inflator.  Its the sort of thing we need one of on this trip, but we each don't need to bring one.  

By the same token, if none of you have one I can buy one and bring it and we can all use it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #371 - 07/18/11 at 16:33:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/18/11 at 16:08:17:

Do you have an inflator of any kind?   I was oggling a nice deep twin air mattress but I'd be loath to try to blow it up by lung power and I was wondering if you or Midnight or Serenity had an inflator.  Its the sort of thing we need one of on this trip, but we each don't need to bring one.  

By the same token, if none of you have one I can buy one and bring it and we can all use it.

I got one from walmart. coleman i think. It's rechrgeable/cordless and seems to hold a charge for many inflations. Wasn't too expensive,around 30 bucks if i remember right.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #372 - 07/18/11 at 17:13:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/18/11 at 16:08:17:

If you got a long hose... you got a savage inflator   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #373 - 07/18/11 at 17:47:29

I don't think I'd want to smell exhaust gases seeping out of the air mattress all night long.   Carbon monoxide ??

Colman makes a little one for $11 that uses 4 D cells and lasts about a week before going tits up according to the reviewers on Amazon.

They also make a more rigorous 12 volt unit and several mechanical foot pumps.

But does anyone going on this trip have any of the above?

If nobody has one, I'll pick up a 12 volt unit that will inflate and deflate (suck it down nice and flat) which will save us some time and hassles when doing set up tear down.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #374 - 07/18/11 at 18:37:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/18/11 at 17:47:29:
I don't think I'd want to smell exhaust gases seeping out of the air mattress all night long.   Carbon monoxide ??

wouldn't have to worry about bugs   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:22:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.