Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #345 - 07/14/11 at 21:23:39

Are you packing a spare gas can on that Sporster for the tank disadvantaged amongst us?    120 miles "gasless" round trip to Mitchell and back, warn't it?  

Or are you planning to hit it from a different side this time?

And ya got a spare set of knees and a left hip for climbing them 1,001 stairs going up to the top of Mount Mitchell?

First no Rycas to mess wid and now he wants to go hiking 10 miles up to the surface of the moon again -- you can tell he's a Scoutmaster, can't you?    

Hup hup troopers, let's get up and get going !!

At least he's consistent -- he still wants to go there .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #346 - 07/15/11 at 07:45:22

Why doint we take it from a diffeerent angle , and I'm not sure I'm up the the hike either !!!

How about we go UP hwy 80 this time ?

Lips Sealed

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #347 - 07/15/11 at 08:00:51

MY VACATION TIME IS APPROVED, we got us a trip.

I have reserved and paid for one 3 man room at Deal's Gap for Monday, 8/1 with a 3:00-7:00 PM check in time.   I did this because they said they are booked solid every other day that week and couldn't give us a room on Tuesday.    

I don't really like this  idea, seems we could do better considering that we are headed to Mount Mitchell .....

What ya wanna bet the Dragon Hotel is half empty when we get up there?   I loves them Dragon hotel folks ..... but they want your charge card number so they can get you committed to whatever they have to give you, you arrange your trip around them.

Got to lay in plans to drive somewhere else to stay for the next 2 nights.    Other than the cabin place, I guess we are winging it for hotel rooms each night.

=============================

Check yer map for the distances and I'll see about packing a little gas can if I can find one small enough to go inside my left saddle bag.

(got a 1 gallon jug that should swing the difference should I run totally out of gas)

The road trip to get there up hwy 80 would be fine, hwy 80 is a good road for going to a lot of places.

As far as hiking goes, I can always take a nap under a shady tree, or heck, I'll be packing me a book or two anyway.

You've wanted to go there for a long time, so we can go there on this one.

=================

If we have time to kill, I'd like to go tour the generator station at the bottom of Fontana dam.

And mebbe we'd like to go look at that "pump it straight up to the top of the mountain at night then let it fall back during the day" strange looking big pipe rig what goes straight up a cliff to a lake that is sitting plumb on top of a unreachable mountain top (that might be a black line worth treading if we are allowed to roll there).

==================

If you have problems meeting on Monday the first of August at the Dragon around 3:00 pm, then please say so and we will start looking for a room elsewhere on the days we need.

There is an alternative plan listed next post -- if you like it better please say so ....

« Last Edit: 07/16/11 at 13:52:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #348 - 07/16/11 at 08:11:32

Some extra thoughts --- mebbe even better thoughts

Mount Mitchell is 50+ miles on the eastern side of Ashville fairly near to Marion NC on Hwy 80.   It makes no sense for Toymaker (who lives pretty much near that side of Ashville) to ride all the way to the Dragon (4 hrs) then to turn around and ride all the way back to the Marion NC area (3 hours).

There is a Super 8 Motel in Marion NC we could stay at for the first night (Monday night) for about the same price as the Dragon, with dual queen beds, a swimming pool and cable TV and a free breakfast on Tuesday am.   Once again, the first night's on me -- so the cost of the hotel isn't really an issue.

http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/201755-Marion/Deal-Super-8-Motel-Marion-42...

Mind you, I don't hate the Dragon hotel per se, but we've done done the Dragon hotel to death and I am trying to get the folks who are going knocking about on these little black line runs to start thinking outside the little Dragon box we done got ourselves into.

(especially since you can't get a room on the day you want it at the Dragon hotel)

This idea cuts 3-4 hours off my first day's travel time and cuts Toymaker's trip in down to about an hour and a bit total from his house.   I don't know what it does to MMRanch's travel as I am unsure as to which way he is coming from.   It also offers Toymaker the choice to sleep comfy in his own bed then a short ride up to meet us for a free breakfast on Tuesday morning and then we all strike off all fresh to trek up to see Mount Mitchell.

What do you guys think?

MMRanch and Oldfeller sleep all comfy Monday night on queen beds at Marion NC and meet Toymaker for breakfast early on Tuesday morning, then we roll and poke and hunt and figure out what's for Tuesday night on Tuesday afternoon from wherever we are?

Who knows where we will be .....  

..... on some little black line on the Google map somewheres or another.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #349 - 07/16/11 at 15:03:09

Hey guys...thanks for thinking of ole Toymaker.  However, things have changed.  This last heatwave cooked (no pun) the 21 year old AC units at my house and I am looking at major dollars to repair/replace.  I may end up selling the Vulcan to help with the financing.  So no dragon ride for me.  Sorry for bailing but life is like that that.

Cheers

John

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #350 - 07/17/11 at 00:51:05

Toymaker, yew ain't a getting off that easy ....  not when the trip was created and tailored jest for you and I had to go fight the vacation time wars for four solid days to just get off on the week when you said you could go.

You WILL be with us in spirit even if your poor mortal corpus is a sitting in an un-ac'd house a showing his kawachunkie to a series of pimple faced teenagers who are hoping to buy it for $1,000 up front and $50 each month fer the next year (with a well used paintball gun thrown in to sweeten the deal iffen you'll jest give them your riding jacket, your helmet and yer chaps and purty please sign the title over to them now so they can get a license plate).

Quit being so durn afraid of Mount Mitchell, they have a road up to it now with handicapped access and an elevator -- you didn't think I wasn't gonna check on that sort of stuff before committing to it did you?  I'm the poor ol cripple one who falls over sometimes when he gets off his bike, not you.

Come on, losing to a Sporster ain't so bad, I though Lancer done taught us that purty good on that first dragon trip.   At least a Sportster will give you a good race as they ARE faster up on the top end than you are.

Cheesy

(Mine is giving me static too, she says I'm gonna kill myself one of these days and she does not approve of the idea)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #351 - 07/17/11 at 01:38:47

Scratch the Marion hotel idea, it is stone out of the way for MMRanch and for Kel if he decides he wants to snooze in the spare Dragon bunk.

Back to going directly to the Dragon on Monday August the 1st with a 3:00 PM check in time ....

I'll email Kel and see if he wants to ride up for a day since he didn't get to go on the last trip.   BigZuk might want to come too if he has had a chance to fix his bike that is.

PM's sent to Kel and BigZuk

Mount Mitchell, here we come -- you are still meat even from the 120 mile Dragon side (gots my gas can all figured out I do).

« Last Edit: 07/17/11 at 03:32:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #352 - 07/17/11 at 05:11:22

It would be nice to have at least one handfull of riders to keep company with.

OldFeller  we doin't have to stay at the Dragon proper on my account.   What about the Robinsville motels ?

Swimming pool , a tv that works , better rates , breakfast thrown in as part of the deal ,   all the dragon has to offer is the sound of Motorcycle engins early in the morning and a fire-pit at night.

I'm just fine with winging it for a few days .... durning the week most motels have good rates and plenty of room.

Or what about TelacoPlains on the Tn side of the skyway for a night ???  In June total round trip was a little short of 2000 miles and I loved every mile of it. !!!

I'm OK with going on to Maron if that works out better for the rest of our folks .

OldFeller we can go South into North GA. that whole area is GREAT riding.

All we need is a starting point. !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #353 - 07/17/11 at 06:32:31

OK, let's pick a starting point.  

Once you chuck the Dragon Hotel and "get out of the Dragon box" the world is your oyster and we can start anywhere, including your driveway.  

Or Bigzuk's driveway.    Or Kel's driveway.

And we can go anywhere and find neat stuff.

Your eyes open up and you actually start to look around some for the very first time .....  

Everything is new and interesting if you ain't ever done it before.

The words "Heck, I've never been there" take on new meaning.

For example, Mount Mitchell was named after a dead guy who is buried up there on top of the mountain.

"In the 1850s, controversy arose about which peak in the Black Mountain range was the highest. Thomas Clingman, a former student of Dr. Mitchell's, and a United States senator, set the elevation of the highest peak at 6,941 feet and insisted that Mitchell had measured another peak. In 1857, Dr. Mitchell returned to the Black Mountains to verify his measurements and to support his claim. While hiking across the mountain, he fell from a cliff above a 40-foot waterfall. Knocked unconscious by the fall, Dr. Mitchell drowned in the water below. In honor of his work, the highest peak in the Black Mountain range was given his name in 1858. Though originally buried in Asheville, Mitchell's body was reburied atop Mount Mitchell a year later."

And there really is a motorcycle museum right off the Parkway that I have never been to.

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

And there really was an old fort in Old Fort, NC and it really has a "shoot the water up in the air geyser" near it.    I've never seen that either.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g49409-d143850-Reviews-Andrews_Ge...

And that is just scratching the paint a bit as that is all inside 50 miles of that stupid hotel in Marion, NC.

I had never opened my eyes up and looked before ....

Them North Carolina mountains are jest plain LOUSY with neat new stuff to go look at and neat little roads to run down to get there.

Hell, if we start to get bored we can go ride the road to nowhere    Wink

http://www.greatsmokies.com/roadnowhere.html

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #354 - 07/17/11 at 07:00:03

You guys ever heard of the Diamondback? http://www.diamondbacknc.com/   Its a great ride and you're gonna be right at it if you go up Highway 80.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #355 - 07/17/11 at 07:34:19

Midnight, you wanna to go exploring with us?

I will be switched, the Diamondback is right next door to Mount Mitchell and Marion again -- see, I done told ya there was a whole world of neat shite to do once you get out of the Dragon box ....

http://www.diamondbacknc.com/location.html

Also, it has been 20+ years since I been to Pigeon Forge area -- they have done gone and built a world class aquarium up there that might be something to go see whilst going up there to see the motorcycle museum.

==================

Hell, I'm weird I admit it -- I would intentionally go camping on the other side (or right under it if it was raining) of the tunnel to nowhere and think I was having a good time and I wuz plumb getting away with something rather than paying $12 to camp at the Dragon Hotel.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #356 - 07/17/11 at 07:47:21

My Mom and Dad have a place on 80. After you go under the Parkway you go a mile and a half and their place is on the right. I was riding Highway 80 when I was 16 yrs old. I'm 56 now. I'm having a bad summer healthwise (I have Lupus) or I would have been at the Dragon. If I'm able I'll join you guys I will, I'll have Mom to fix lunch for us one day.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #357 - 07/17/11 at 08:18:04

How can you refuse an invite like that?   Where would we meet up with you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #358 - 07/17/11 at 08:35:08

I can stay wherever you guys are staying. If you want to explore the Mt Mitchell area there's a pretty little campground about a quarter mile from Mom and Dads. There's a couple of National Forest Campgrounds on 80 and several more private ones. I believe Little Switzerland has a motorcycle cabin especially for bikers if it hasnt been rented. It will sleep several people. There's a good size campground on the Parkway close to 80, I'm having a brain fart and cant remember the name of it. If you go down the Parkway there's some awesome riding around Grandfather Mtn. You could stay a week and not begin to cover that area. I had a great childhood spending my summers growing up there. I always had a trail bike. Back then you didnt have to have a drivers license or a vehicle license to ride the fire roads in the National Forest. There was a fire road that runs from 80 all the way down to Old Fort, over 30 miles one way. Can you imagine a 12 year old kid being able to ride 60 miles of dirt roads? There was some really tight switchbacks, I learned to flat track at a tender young age LOL.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #359 - 07/17/11 at 08:42:26

If you are climbing 80 and you're low on gas go on under the Parkway. A mile and a half on your left will be a country store with gas. The road to Mom and Dad's place is across the street at the country store. You can gas up there and turn around and go back to the Parkway and begin your climb to Mt Mitchell. OF if you need any info on the area feel free to call me at 336 945 4702.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:11:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.