Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 60
Send Topic Print
2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1) (Read 11339 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2011 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #195 - 05/09/11 at 17:28:17

Pulled the bike up on the lift to get her ready for Dragon time.  Oil and filter change (metal found on the magnet was slightly less than in years past, my engine must like the ZDDP booster as the miles were a lot more this year and a lot harder miles to boot).

Stage 2 cam has settled in finally, I was technically within spec on both intake and exhaust valves, but I took them both back down to .003" anyway as the intakes were up at .004" and the exhausts were closer to .005".   I consider the Stage 2 cam to be reliable now as it has quit the rapid increase on the valve clearance nonsense and is acting more like a normal routine maintenance set up now.

Changed out the polyfill on the air filter, once again on a 2" thick matting air born dirt is only making it into the first 1/2" of the oil impregnated filter thickness after a fully year and a half of use.   Technically, I should have put it back in and ran it another year but I wanted to play with it some more.  

I noted that in the heavy air flow areas the oil was getting thin and the dirt was going in deeper as the trap oil wasn't as plentiful.  I theorize the oil is very slowly evaporated by the air flow as gear oil is volatile just like gas or kerosene (just a whole lot slower to evaporate as the molecules are much longer and heavier).

This time I attempted to improve on the heavy gear oil as an oil impregnation by using a liquid carrier light grease as a matrix builder.  White lithium spray grease by Snap-on from Autozone was tried and as far as the loose spray in application went the idea worked as intended.

The white lithium sprayed on and penetrated like the Mazola frying pan oil did, but the evaporation process was totally different.  The lithium grease is cut with kerosene to make it mobile and when the carrier (propane from the smell of it) quickly evaporated the matting was a soggy mess with the kerosene.  This kerosene separated from the lithium white grease it was cutting and the kerosene dripped out for like 2 days which was totally gross to watch as the white mess was oozing clear stuff jest like road rash does and muffler burns do after the outer bubble of skin bursts and comes off -- yeck.

(flash back to scraped up legs, muffler burns & such from years past)

When the kerosene finally evaporated, the lithium grease was sort of stiff and hard so I added some 90-180 gear oil to the white impregnated matting and it was assimilated by lithium grease matrix jest like the Borg would do -- they became one.

Now NONE of the heavy gear oil came dripping back out of the matrix after several days of observation.   The white grease became oil tinted uniformly throughout the entire mass, so the heavy oil has osmosed into the grease/soap binder.   The matting is now quite soft and flexible now and when you touch it the yellowish grease that comes off on your finger is quite sticky and soft and thick.

The end result looks usable, but the process was slow and somewhat of a pain in the ass.  

Next time I'll try chain lube.   PJ1 would likely do this same sort of thing but would likely only take overnight to dry.

Grin   Grin    Grin

This weeks work was to tear the new rear tire off the bike, it had a slow leak that apparently was air simply going right through the cheap chinese inner tube material (no leak bubbles were able to be detected in the tube when held under soapy clear water.  No pinch marks, no folds, no scuffs -- just would lose about 10 psi in a months time).

3 new inner tubes are on the way, so I have me some time to figure out how to rig up my cheap, trunk mounted front wheel grabbing bike hauler thing-a-ma-jig.

Wink

« Last Edit: 05/12/11 at 20:32:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #196 - 05/17/11 at 20:26:17

okay guys gimme the dates ASAP !!! b4 she changes her mind!!!again..
looks like im back on again...
drivin my tacoma with thumperclone on the back rack...
swing down to ne georgia than C fla and back home..
campin in the shell of my pu..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #197 - 05/17/11 at 20:36:00

26 thru the 2

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #198 - 05/17/11 at 20:48:58

The Early Group

Lancer, Verslagen, Oldfeller

Showing up Monday June 27th in the early afternoon from all over the place, staying in a hotel room at the Dragon (Lancer is holding the reservation) and are planning on cutting out Friday.  Bringing 1 truck and 1 car and a bunch of bikes.

The Midweek Group

Toymaker, AlfromNewHampshire, Somebody's Brother

Showing up Wednesday during the day, staying in a hotel room, staying through Sunday.  I forget who is holding the midweek reservation for that group but they said they were not able to get an apartment if memory serves because the apartments were already gone.

The Tent Group

MMRanch, Bigzuk,

Now I know I forgot a whole bunch of people
, so you jest ring on in here on which grouping you are coming with and where you think you are staying jest so we know exactly how over-extended these little 3 man rooms really are ....  hey, when it says the 3 man room can sleep 4, that means somebody is sharing the queen sized bed with another guy --  Tongue

Jedi Science strikes again !!!

A new Technical Innovation for the top bunk bed

Throw the durn mattress on the floor and stop all that silly climbing nonsense !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #199 - 05/17/11 at 21:06:05

okay
im comin
sleepin in my topper
need directions from ashville or ,clayton ga or.cherokee...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #200 - 05/19/11 at 15:12:30

Well, they are ready for you to arrive at Deal's Gap....

Three of us went over yesterday afternoon. Arriving late in the day, there were very few people on the road and we had a great uncluttered run down to the bridge and back.
The pinstripe/patch sewing guy was looking Yellow Bob over and remarked "Isn't there a group of folks that ride these thumpers that comes here?". I told him you would descend upon the Dragon the end of June, so get ready!
We stayed at a campground down near Murphy that night and had an excellent ride home today over 64 into Highlands.
Just right at 514 miles door to door.
Dayum, I'm liking this bike. Cool

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #201 - 05/19/11 at 15:19:55

Driller wrote on 05/19/11 at 15:12:30:
Well, they are ready for you to arrive at Deal's Gap....

Three of us went over yesterday afternoon. Arriving late in the day, there were very few people on the road and we had a great uncluttered run down to the bridge and back.
The pinstripe/patch sewing guy was looking Yellow Bob over and remarked "Isn't there a group of folks that ride these thumpers that comes here?". I told him you would descend upon the Dragon the end of June, so get ready!
We stayed at a campground down near Murphy that night and had an excellent ride home today over 64 into Highlands.
Just right at 514 miles door to door.
Dayum, I'm liking this bike. Cool

What sort of name are you guys creating for yourselves?  Huh
Apparently your reputation preceeds you!  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #202 - 05/19/11 at 15:56:55

hmmmmm .....

We may have a small rep at Deal's Gap Campground for using plastic pop bottles as "how to properly start a wood fired grill up".   We refuse to buy the $10 a bag charcoal briquettes from the store.

We may have a small rep for drinking a lot of beer (that we bring with us) and getting a wee bit boisterous around the big fire pit.

Fer some unknown reason BMW riders up there are plumb afraid of Al's white pickup truck, and fer shure the Beemer boys have learned to lock their hard bags for fear of midnight deposits.

Hurley riders shake in their boots whenever they think hear a string of thumpers coming up behind them.   They immediately go over to the side of the road (iffen they knows what's good for them, anyway).

Nobody tries to follow us when we go out in groups of 3 or more.   People keep getting upset and blessing out Big Zuk for what Oldfeller does to them (can't tell one fat old man on a silver thumper from another -- they all look the same)

Grin   Grin   Grin

Really, I think it's all Toymaker's fault -- he keeps telling everybody he's Evil ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #203 - 05/19/11 at 16:39:03

Driller, did you happen to notice toymakers contribution to the tree of shame?

The broken floorboard in the center of the picture. It says "toymaker gets bit 6/26/2010"
Don't need anyone adding to tree this year.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #204 - 05/19/11 at 17:06:29

Al, I did look the "tree" over but was overwhelmed by the collection and did not pick that one out. No, we do not want to add to the collection.....especially crutches like the ones that were dangling over my head. Shocked

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #205 - 05/19/11 at 18:54:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/19/11 at 15:56:55:

hmmmmm .....

Nobody tries to follow us when we go out in groups of 3 or more.   People keep getting upset and blessing out Big Zuk for what Oldfeller does to them (can't tell one fat old man on a silver thumper from another -- they all look the same)

Grin   Grin   Grin

Really, I think it's all Toymaker's fault -- he keeps telling everybody he's Evil ....

O.F. Ya gotta get your poop in a group with the details!
It was one a them Goldwing roll'n roadblocks,
My bike ain't called ol yeller cause it's silver,
And who you calling fat? I resemble that remark!
Other than that you got it all correct  Grin
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #206 - 05/20/11 at 05:42:52

Don't forget the beer truck Cheesy
Tent Group Ariving Late Thursday night or Early Friday morning.
I have Class till 8:40 thursday night and  just about 3 hours from there so I might just head out from the college......

I will be coming in from the The Calhoun/ Dalton area

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #207 - 05/20/11 at 15:16:13

Like I said, can't tell the difference between them.  That one was you and Yamakid, I wuz innocent on that one.

Huh

Not so innocent on the beemer guys, either of them.  Nor the pair of Hurleys, not so innocent at all on that pair of bulky grindies.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #208 - 05/21/11 at 07:56:06

it looks like I will have the back brace off the week before the ride
so hopefully I can ride some, but may be limited.  Will know more 21 Jun when I see the doc

I have 2 new stock S40's ready to go

Rex is still sitting and waiting for attention in finding the electrical demon that has plagued him, and since the crash I have done virtually no bike stuff.  The energy levels are very short and shallow.
I am considering taking him to the local dealer and let them sort it out since I am no good with electrical problem solving.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #209 - 05/21/11 at 12:15:24

I'll NOT be adding any iron to the tree this year.  And if'n you think I'll be a slow poke...well...maybe I will...maybe not...we'll have to see.  I might just hang around the "Lair" and look at them thar ladies...

BigZuk...I'll save you a seat...Smiley

Toymaker
Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 60
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:27:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2012 Tail of the Dragon Trip  (6/25-7/1)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.