Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re jetting w/Jardine Muffler? (Read 561 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Re jetting w/Jardine Muffler?
Reply #15 - 12/19/10 at 14:35:37

You could add s pring from a ball point pen. then you can be 3 turns out + & still have sufficient spring pressure on it to keep vibration from backing it out.. hopefully...  Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #16 - 01/07/11 at 08:07:45

Just re jetted to 55 pilot on my bike and think I got it,seems to be running fine now.try to ride it this afternoon and see.boy its loud!

IP Logged
thabrock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tulsa
Reply #17 - 10/22/12 at 15:01:36

I know this is a old thread.  

I bet your bike is screaming now due to the lack of posts now.

I am just wondering what the final set up was.

I have a 97 Cafe Savage (mod) AND a 2006 S40Boulavard Stock.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #18 - 10/22/12 at 17:45:21

I have a Jardine on my bike & a stock air filter. I have heard from a few quite reliable sources on the site that Jardines are not the easiest to " fine tune and that it maybe impossible  Roll Eyes " And I'd have to AGREE

I have a 152.5 main & a stock 52.5 pilot with the air mix screw out 1.25 turns. I have a dyna jet needle, (because its adjustable & because I've tried 3 different sizes in the stage 1 kit) and 1/2 spacer.

It has great throttle response & I think I've gained some power but who knows. It will occasionally afterfire at shut off. I can usually stop this by idleing for 15 seconds. As far as backfiring- it don't on accelleration & a slight crackle on decel like it should. Thats at 80 degrees & light riding. It will sometimes backfire on upshift (very rarely) when it gets in the 90's & I'm really gettin on it.

I live in TN and prior outcomes are no gurantee of future results.  Wink
IHTH!

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #19 - 10/22/12 at 17:57:48

I got the Jardine w/cone filter on my 2001 but my air mixture screw is all the way in with no hope of turning out. Anyone know what the stock jets on this are and what I should go up to?

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #20 - 10/23/12 at 10:49:35

at least some of it depends upon where you are.

IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #21 - 11/12/12 at 12:32:36

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has Jardine tuning experience. I've been working out some issues brought on, at least partially, by trying to do things quick instead of right. I got them sorted out and this is where I am at as of today:

-Took the bike over to a buddy's house and had him weld the Jardine to the header pipe. I didn't want to weld it initially, as an aftermarket pipe, but I was not sealing it any other way. Looks good right now- no noticable leaks at header or muffler/header joints.
   - After trying a couple things: currently at a 55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, and 152.5 main jet, 2 turns (approximate) out on idle mix screw. I've got a noticable increase in power and change in power band. So much so that at times I felt like I had another gear- but top-end aside the major improvement is in low/mid-range.
   - Backfires have significantly decreased, but still have occasional backfire on decel from around 1/4 throttle. Going to try dropping down to 1/4 spacer and see if it goes away. First, I am going to tape and mark my throttle/throttle housing and see if I can nail down where the lean mix is more specifically. Backfires decrease to almost none with choke out to the first notch. That tells me it HAS to be a lean mix in the idle/midrange circuit. Ideas?
  - I HAVE CAUSED a shut-off afterfire which did not exist before. Not sure what that is about. Hopefully it will resolve with additional spacer mod. Or I don't have the idle mix tuned right.
  - Raptor Petcock is installed, and I am running a Uni foam filter. I need to double check the seal at the vacuum ine after replacing the petcock. Right now it is a tube filled with sealant, doubled over and zip-tied shut. Not sure if an incomplete seal there could be causing issues.

I live in San Antonio. I don't know what altitude I am at, but today reflects the info above, and it was cool and clear in the 50s and low 60s F.

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #22 - 11/12/12 at 13:36:45

I have a Jardine with 145 main jet and 55 pilot jet, don't know what you are talking about as far as spacers go. I have the air/fuel mixture out 4 turns and no backfiring except sometimes when I shut it off, just a little fart though.  I'm at 1000 ft.

« Last Edit: 11/12/12 at 15:25:05 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #23 - 11/12/12 at 14:35:39

I have a Jardine Muffler welded on so there are no leaks. It has the stock air box.  

I am at 4500 Feet.

Running stock spacer on the needle and 145 Main Jet with 55 Pilot Jet.  1.5 turns out on the air fuel mix screw. I only get a little crackle no popping on deceleration and a small puff on shutoff unless Idle for 15 or 20 sec before shutting off then no poof at all.  

I think I have mine dialed in great at the moment and I think it depends on the bike the altitude the temperature humidity etc.  just gota mess with it and see.  I was able to do all my re jetting while still having the carb attached to the bike just dropping the float bowl.  it wasn't that hard I adjusted and swapped jets multiple times to find what worked.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #24 - 11/12/12 at 19:12:05

Mine is jetted as stated above. As I'm sure you know the afterfire is caused by unburned fuel' When you let off the throttle you are running rich for a second & this unburnt fuel is ignited in your pipe by the heat and carbons in there. You have a open pipe that lets the system breathe better. The slight afterfire is normal on decel... if you hate it give it a slight throttle (enuf to satisfy the bike) without speeding up.

Check your plug to see how it looks. Rich. lean, or a nice cream color?
Your air mixture screw may need a better fine tuning  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 11/12/12 at 19:32:52

BOBD wrote on 11/12/12 at 13:36:45:
I have a Jardine with 145 main jet and 55 pilot jet, don't know what you are talking about as far as spacers go. I have the air/fuel mixture out 4 turns and no backfiring except sometimes when I shut it off, just a little fart though.  I'm at 1000 ft.

you should go up a size... after 3 turns the spring and o-ring that hold it in place get a little weak.

WWW   IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #26 - 11/12/12 at 19:39:16

this is serowbots- lots of great info...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #27 - 11/12/12 at 19:53:06

Thanks all. I've read up on the carb tuning posts several times and have worked on car carbeurators before. I feel very comfortable with the theory, I'm just surpised at that I still seem to be running lean at the low end with a half spacer mod and 55 pilot installed. Just gathering anecdotal info to double check myself.
  honestly, if I had a garage instead of a parking lot to do the work in this wouldn't be nearly the hassle. I'm trying to save work at this point Tongue

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 11/13/12 at 03:48:38

The spacer mod on the needle controls the 1/4-3/4 throttle range while the pilot circuit controls idle to 1/4.  There is some crossover effect of course but these are primary.
It is the pilot circuit that is the prime cause of backfiring when it is running lean, followed by an air leak in the exhaust system, so assuming the exhaust is air tight and if there is still backfiring when you have a #55 pilot jet and you have adjusted it all the way to 3 turns out, then you need to go up to a 57.5 pilot and readjust the pilot screw.  If that does not solve the backfiring problem then you must assume that you have crud inside the carb and it's time ti dissemble and clean every single tiny passageway in it.  

IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #29 - 11/13/12 at 04:56:40

I am going to tape the throttle and throttle body off today and mark them so I can get a solid idea of where the backfire is happening. Just by feel and eyeballs, though, I think the backfires are happening on decel from around 1/4 throttle, which is why I am hoping knocking the spacer down to a 1/4 equivalent will do the trick.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re jetting w/Jardine Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.