Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: to tap or helicoil?
Reply #15 - 12/09/10 at 11:18:21

Bubba wrote on 12/09/10 at 10:34:22:
I plan to.
Ralfyguy do you happen to have pics of the homemade tap you used?

Do you have any self tapping screws?
There are several kinds.
The easist to make would be to take a dremel and use an abrasive cut off wheel and cut a slot or groove in the end.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 12/12/10 at 16:44:16

Bubba wrote on 12/09/10 at 10:34:22:
I plan to.
Ralfyguy do you happen to have pics of the homemade tap you used?

No, sorry. I should have taken some pics, but I was so focused on not to mess it up, I didn't even think of taking pics. You only have one attempt on that. If you look at a tap, it has three cutting grooves. So I took a triangle needle file and wedged the bolt between two boards on my back porch stairs, due to lack of a vise, held it down tight and set the file on the front of the bolt at about an 5-10 degree angle and filed down about half the length of the threads. Then I rotated the bolt about 60 degrees and repeat. Then the same after another 60 degree turn. make sure to put some lube on it when you cut, especially since it is aluminum. I used spit  Grin
Do only about a turn at a time carefully, then backwards to break the shavings and out of the hole with the bolt and blow everything out with air. I used electronics compressed air with the supplied nozzle. It will take some time, but the patience will pay out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/12/10 at 19:36:54

A cut off blade in a grinder, or even a dremel with the cutting disc, to cut a slot into the bolt, lengthwise. Ive done it a lot. Just aim the slot back into the bolt, not aimed at center, but at an acute angle from the edge.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 17:18:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › to tap or helicoil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.