Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
wont start, different issue (Read 778 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: wont start, different issue
Reply #30 - 12/07/10 at 14:33:52

That's 22mm out.
Typically, it wobbles up and down til it taps on the case.
sometimes it goes side to side.

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #31 - 12/07/10 at 17:55:52

Max, I wasn't able to get the plug on the left hand crankcase cover off. Seems to be set in there pretty tightly. I'll see if I can make some kind of tool to take it off while I'm in the shop tomorrow. Otherwise, it's starting to look like I'm draining the oil and pulling to cover off, again.

I hate working on my bike outside in the winter. I have about 10 minutes when I get home before it's too dark to see anything I may have dropped.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #32 - 12/07/10 at 19:08:41

greenmonster wrote on 12/07/10 at 17:55:52:
Max, I wasn't able to get the plug on the left hand crankcase cover off. Seems to be set in there pretty tightly. I'll see if I can make some kind of tool to take it off while I'm in the shop tomorrow. Otherwise, it's starting to look like I'm draining the oil and pulling to cover off, again.

I hate working on my bike outside in the winter. I have about 10 minutes when I get home before it's too dark to see anything I may have dropped.

bring the bike into the kitchen,or the living room. That's what I would do,I used to put christmas lights on mine.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 12/07/10 at 21:13:16

There are some inexpensive worklights at the Big Box stores. I got a short tripod with 2 500 watt lamps on it for about 20 bux, The downside is the lamps dont last & cost about 6 bux apiece. But, knowing what I know about them, Id buy it again if I just really needed some light. Plenty of lighting options out there, extension cords arent hard to land,,Temporary shelter, not a problem,, a tarp to work on, instead of just dirt, 5 dollars will get a tarp, a layer of cardboard, just because theres no building doesnt mean the only option is the raw outdoors.

If I could find a tent for real cheap, big enough,,, well,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #34 - 12/07/10 at 21:54:05

grand ideas, all of them. However, I like being married so the bike doesn't get to come inside. Wink

And sadly, I live in a townhouse, the bike shares a single parking spot under the sundeck with my car. I usually do any work on it at the shop I work in. Plenty of room, all the tools I need, or at least the machines to make the tools I need.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 12/07/10 at 23:13:01

Where do you live?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #36 - 12/07/10 at 23:17:15

Vancouver, BC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 12/08/10 at 07:15:49

Ohh, well, working outside with no wind block should be no big deal then,, CRIPES!! Id Have to have some kinda wall to get behind. I hate the cold, I hate the cold IT HURTS my body.. You can have my share.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #38 - 12/08/10 at 17:11:06

The edge of a used (or new) front brake pad does a pretty good job of fitting the slot in the crank bolt cover. Others have used a couple of washers to get the correct thickness to fill the slot and an adjustable end wrench. They may have to be ground some to fit correctly. Good cycle shops will have a 3 armed special tool that is supposed to work, mine needed to be harder as it bent. If you are around aviation folks, they have cowl fasteners (duetz? or something like that) that use a tool that I've ended up using. Think I found it at a garage sale one weekend. Also the tool trucks will have a 3/8 drive tool for adjusting old style (20'-50's) tie rod ends that can be made to fit. A new o ring and a light hand on reassembly will make the next time easier.  Sure don't envy you working outside, in the cold and dark as it is much easier to miss the small part that falls down and messes up the job. My tug had both side covers off while still connected to the side car and they both leaked, had the rubber sealing washers on the wrong bolts and a gasket folded over and pinched. I separated them and did the jobs over and no more leaks in 2 years now. I use a Handy bench and provide some cushioning and lay it over so the side I'm working on is facing mostly up so I can properly clean and inspect the sealing surface and it keeps the remaining oil from dripping out. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #39 - 12/11/10 at 21:30:41

Green,

Did you ever try letting the starter crank the engine with the spark plug pulled out?

If so, what happened?

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #40 - 12/11/10 at 21:34:25

Max_Morley wrote on 12/08/10 at 17:11:06:
.....A new o ring and a light hand on reassembly will make the next time easier.....

As will a little Never-Seize on the plug's threads.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #41 - 12/13/10 at 10:20:26

I pulled the tank this weekend, pulled the plug and the starter still wouldn't move anything. (there goes the compression theory. too bad, it was a good one.)
I tried rotating the tire with the plug out to see if the engine was moving at all. I was only able to move the wheel in 3rd and 4th gear. At which point I wasn't able to tell if the motor was turning over the sound of my panting.

Still couldn't get the side plug out, I did however begin shaving off chunks of metal and bend the 3/4" washer that I was using. Figuring that I'm going to have to take the side cover off again and see if there is something messed up on the starter clutch I drained the oil again and that's when I ran out of daylight. Stupid sun.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #42 - 12/13/10 at 12:29:07

Green, I'd be very interested in what you find. It sounds like the same thing I'm running into except that now I've pulled the engine and I'm working on some stripped bolts on the head cover.

I did notice that when looking at the ronayers.com fiche it looks like the washers go on the limiter and mine has only one washer on the starter gear.
I think someone put it back together wrong and the gears are binding against the side cover...I think versy suggested that may be happening...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #43 - 12/13/10 at 12:41:51

unfortunately the 86 doesn't have the torque limiter that has those washers. I think that may have come in around the time that they started putting in the elusive 5th gear. which I think, i could be wrong, was in 95 or 96.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #44 - 12/13/10 at 12:44:25

Yes, mine is a '97. I'd still be interested in what you find...because it sure sounds like what I'm running into... Sad

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:21:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont start, different issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.