prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Bar End Cap
12/02/10 at 12:49:22

The handlebar end cap fell off of my bike this afternoon.  The good thing is, I was still at the house.  It looks like it just slips in,  but I would hate for it to fall out somewhere on the road.  Any suggestions?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Bar End Cap
Reply #1 - 12/02/10 at 12:51:28

If it feels too loose, I would put a layer of tape on it and then pound it in.
If you don't care if it ever comes out again (in one piece) then glue it as well.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 12/02/10 at 17:26:12

Preacher, I had to buy one last summer. About $4.50. It fit pretty good, but I used some Permatex weather strip glue on it cause it was the first thing I saw when I opened my "chemical" cabinet in the shop. Still OK on the throttle side. Throttle rotates but cap doesn't. Could cause a problem without a little something to keep it in place.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 12/02/10 at 18:07:56

I glued mine too, some car trim adhesive, I believe.  Just don't put too much and get it stuck to the grip (if its on the throttle side)... ask me how I know!  lol

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/03/10 at 00:50:19

Make your own like this. Lathe a slug of one inch cold roll steel to the diameter of the inside of the bar leaving a bit at full diameter outside.
I did mine so that it also served as a bar extension and bar end weight also.  Rebait the outer end to recess the head of an allen bolt.
Balony slice it so that when it is inserted into the end of the handlebar, the allen bolt can be tightened to cause the diagonal to lock it to the inside of the bar.  (Yes it works on the throttle side too.
Machine a piece of alumnium to be the end cap and drill through the end cap when it is in place to fit it for a roll pin the keeps it from ever coming off accidentally.
To deliberately remove it, just use a pin punch smaller than the roll pin to drift the pin into the rebait void and remove the cap. Then unscrew the allen part way and tap on the end of the allen to unlock the ar end device.

Easy huh?

Phelonius  BTW the small pocket knife and the lighter are in the photo for size comparison.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 12/03/10 at 02:47:30

Phelonius, that is a great idea, however, I lack the steel, lathe, etc.  I also have the pullback bars and I think there is already a weight in there and if I remember correctly, it is pretty close to the end of the bar.  I did you have the flat bars or buckhorns?

Glue will definitely work for me.  I have glue and I am not afraid to use it!

But I will look again at the bars for the Phelonius idea.

Thanks guys

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 12/03/10 at 07:03:32

I, too, am lacking machine shop services and supplies. My bike came complete with no endcap on the left side. Where can one aquire an endcap without buying a new set of grips?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 12/03/10 at 07:32:50

drums1 wrote on 12/03/10 at 07:03:32:
I, too, am lacking machine shop services and supplies. My bike came complete with no endcap on the left side. Where can one aquire an endcap without buying a new set of grips?

Hey Drums

Part 12 on this page, IDK if both ends are the same or not.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1987-suzuki-motorcycle-ls650ph-savage-p/o/m6323#sch...

prechermike   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 12/03/10 at 09:07:44

Crash found these a while back, but the ebay listing has been deleted.  Can't find a new listing on ebay now, but these were perfect (and cheap) replacements.  Redwolf said he bought a set, so you may PM him for the ebay seller info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1275706547

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #9 - 12/03/10 at 10:07:47

I lost an end cap, and after seeing what the stealership wanted for one, I went to Ace Hardware.  The ones in the pics are 1".  I think that I paid about $2 for a package of 4.  They slip right on, but if you are worried about them coming off (mine have not) you can use a little contact cement.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #10 - 12/03/10 at 14:46:04

gerald.hughes wrote on 12/03/10 at 10:07:47:
I lost an end cap, and after seeing what the stealership wanted for one, I went to Ace Hardware.  The ones in the pics are 1".  I think that I paid about $2 for a package of 4.  They slip right on, but if you are worried about them coming off (mine have not) you can use a little contact cement.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/gerald_hughes/IMG_3191.jpg

I notice  in the pic you have your bar clock in the same place I have mine.  Sure is handy there. Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 12/03/10 at 15:09:40

I have a cheap wal mart watch with leather band around the brake reservoir.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 12/03/10 at 18:53:35

drums1 wrote on 12/03/10 at 07:03:32:

The end cap for my 2001 is chrome plastic and is OEM part # 57216-38A00. I would guess they are both the same since the bars are 1" on both sides. HTH I also have a small "Spot O' Time" clock stuck on the triple tree between the bolt heads. ($2 at discount stores and auto parts stores) I used the enclosed small patch of Velcro to install it. Been there since 3-09.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/03/10 at 19:13:07

prechermike wrote on 12/03/10 at 02:47:30:
Phelonius, that is a great idea, however, I lack the steel, lathe, etc.  I also have the pullback bars and I think there is already a weight in there and if I remember correctly, it is pretty close to the end of the bar.  I did you have the flat bars or buckhorns?

Glue will definitely work for me.  I have glue and I am not afraid to use it!

But I will look again at the bars for the Phelonius idea.

Thanks guys

Here is the finished set of superbars, I made my riser from one inch square aluminum billit.

Those were Moose soft knuckle guards for winter riding.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 12/05/10 at 17:17:08

Phelonius, you might want to put a bulb in that running light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:19:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bar End Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.