Stumped (Read 124 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Stumped
11/30/10 at 17:30:09

I'm getting ready to pull the engine to fix some of the oil leaks. Long story short, some of you have had suggestions for me regarding why I can't get a spark going on this project bike.

I still get nothing when I go directly from the battery to the starter motor. well, I shouldn't say nothing...it tries to crank and then just stops. Starter tested out fine on the bench, all other electricals (solenoid, ingition coil, CDI) worked fine on my good bike).

Still no joy when I try to crank it directly from the battery or any other method I've tried. It acts as if the starter gears are seized up or something but when I took the stator cover off and turn them they rotate fine in one direction but are really hard to turn the other way (is that normal?).
I'm still pulling the engine but this is kinda driving me nuts!
Any suggestions? Can I try to get it turning over once I pull the engine by doing the same battery to starter test or will I be in for a rude surprise? Shocked
thx

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stumped
Reply #1 - 11/30/10 at 17:43:09

Is your decompression lever/solenoid,... working/properly adjusted?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #2 - 11/30/10 at 17:45:22

Sounds like its the compression. Take the sparkplug out and see if it turns over.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/30/10 at 18:06:59

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 12/01/10 at 06:13:18

Thanks all, as far as the compression scenario...I had the plug out so there shouldn't have been any resistance there. Versy, it certainly could be the washers you had told me about before but from what I saw on the starter gears everything seemed okay. It's as if the gears turn but then stop and then make a "rrrr....rrrr" sound like they can't get anything spinning...
I guess after the engines out I can get in there a bit deeper and see what's up. The question is can I run the battery to starter test with the engine out?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 12/01/10 at 06:16:56

It takes a positive and negative to run any motor. So you will need a jumper cable from the battery negative, to the base/frame of the motor, if the motor is not connected to the frame of the bike.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 12/01/10 at 06:19:51

Thanks! Just don't want the thing jumping off the bench!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 12/01/10 at 06:24:04

Not a problem if the spark plug is out. If cranking over on compression, (may not be able to w/o comp release) I don't know, but I think I would want it bolted/clamped down.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 12/01/10 at 06:26:04

Put it in neutral other wise you'll be chasing it down your driveway. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print