Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Adding fog lights (Read 314 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Adding fog lights
11/30/10 at 15:20:32

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the maximum output amperage of our generator. The fuse is 20A, but that's probably nowhere near the max. I was wondering how much headroom we have to see if I can add a set of fog lights on my engine guard bar. I have a 55watt HID headlight and would be adding 2 55watt HID fog lights/driving lights on a separate, relayed, fused circuit. Thanks.

IP Logged
Lupo

Re: Adding fog lights
Reply #1 - 11/30/10 at 19:02:24

55 watt HIDs? Are you sure they're not halogen? Just wondering because HID is generally low wattage. As to the charging system, it is very weak and some on this forum have said they had problems with duel 55s. So far the numbers seem to be 210 watt/10.27 amp.@ 5,000 rpm.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 11/30/10 at 19:11:26

My Suzuki 1500 has the driving lights from Suzuki and they are 35 watts and most likely its has a bigger charging system than the S40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/30/10 at 19:17:22

all the hid's I know are 35 watt and a hell of a lot brighter than a couple of 55 watt halogen's.  Doubt that you'll see them when they are on.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/30/10 at 19:24:00

I had one bike years ago I don't remember which on,But it had the headlight switch I could put it between bright and dim and both would be on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #5 - 11/30/10 at 19:49:36

Lupo wrote on 11/30/10 at 19:02:24:
55 watt HIDs? Are you sure they're not halogen? Just wondering because HID is generally low wattage. As to the charging system, it is very weak and some on this forum have said they had problems with duel 55s. So far the numbers seem to be 210 watt/10.27 amp.@ 5,000 rpm.

Yes. They are 55watt HIDs. 35watt hids are a little brighter than stock, but 55s are the way to go imo. They are the brightest headlights available. PERIOD. 5000 lumens per bulb. For comparison, a 55watt halogen is 1500 lumens TOPS and a 35watt HID is about 2800 lumens per bulb. Of course, this depends on color temperature, ambient temperature, ballasts, ignitor quality etc.

Are you sure 210 watts is the MAXIMUM output? I looked in the manual and added up all the wattage of all out lights now and it came out to be relatively close to this figure. 184 watts to be exact. 184 watts plus wattage for spark plug. Seems a little close....

I know for a fact that 10.27 amp can't be the maximum because 14 volts * 10.27 = 144watts, a little too low...

EDIT: I know where you got 10.27A from. All normal lights plus one set of turn signals adds up to 142 watts. 142watts / 14 volts = 10.27 A It's the max wattage for a Savage without hazard lights, as in, the wattage when added straight down from the owner's manual.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 11/30/10 at 21:14:12

Plus, this has been tried before -- didn't work until the bulbs were replaced with much lower wattage bulbs.

Point at the end of that one was if you wanted more light, go Sylvania halogen single bulb

If you want yellow light, go Piaa yellow halogen single bulb

If you just want to mess around, feel free

But you have an amp ceiling that is gonna feel mighty cramped and will only show itself when you can't get the bike to crank when you are stuck off some gawdawful place where you don't wanna be stuck at.

But you will figure that out all by yourself ......

Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/30/10 at 21:15:04

dam, I thought it was the sun that rose a little early this morning, but it was you.   Shocked

Now I really don't see the point of 55 watt halogen fog lights

Plus, that HID light is probably kicking up a lot of glare.

WWW   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #8 - 11/30/10 at 21:48:56

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/30/10 at 21:14:12:

Plus, this has been tried before -- didn't work until the bulbs were replaced with much lower wattage bulbs.

Point at the end of that one was if you wanted more light, go Sylvania halogen single bulb

If you want yellow light, go Piaa yellow halogen single bulb

If you just want to mess around, feel free

I'll buy that. I'm probably gonna wind up with a 35watt headlight and 35 watt fogs, all hids...and Hids stomp all over halogens when it comes to brightness. If you want light, 55watt HIDs are the way to go. 3000K will get you the yellow light, but I don't think it looks good imo.

The sylvania nightbreaker, brightest 55watt halogen, is 1500 lumens +/- 100 lumens according to their datasheet. Best direct swap if you ask me. Hids require a bit more wiring and aren't as simple as replacing a bulb.

Yea, there's a little glare, but I need to see. I wear glasses as it is, and with more and more cars having hids, it's getting tougher to see with those bright lights coming toward you on the road...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 11/30/10 at 22:43:17

had a pair of 35 W mr 11 white driving lights from jc whitless..
draw on the system was too much with the 3 amp(36watt) draw from my sound system..
replaced the bulbs with some leds that fit and have no issues..
the 35 w lamps didnt do much cept draw from the charging system..
the leds are a blue er color and are more apparent to the on coming cagers than the halogens..
my want was to be more visual to those turning left across my path..not lite up the road..i did that with a sylvania H4 bulb.
my led volt meter tells me im good to go at 1k rpm..
BUT at wot am discharging a bit...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/30/10 at 22:51:26

the most mc/cager accidents are when THEY turn left in front of you..
what ever you can do to make yourself STAND out (specially in day lite) the better..
thats why i went with a blue tone led..not a normal pattern with the stock yellow front lites and the over stock h4..

second most mc recks is from the rear.. and if i could i would post pics of all the mods ive done back there...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #11 - 12/01/10 at 09:25:50

thumperclone wrote on 11/30/10 at 22:43:17:
had a pair of 35 W mr 11 white driving lights from jc whitless..
draw on the system was too much with the 3 amp(36watt) draw from my sound system..
replaced the bulbs with some leds that fit and have no issues..
the 35 w lamps didnt do much cept draw from the charging system..
the leds are a blue er color and are more apparent to the on coming cagers than the halogens..
my want was to be more visual to those turning left across my path..not lite up the road..i did that with a sylvania H4 bulb.
my led volt meter tells me im good to go at 1k rpm..
BUT at wot am discharging a bit...

Well the draw from your sound system depends on volume. At low volume, it's probably only a couple of watts. But more importantly, I have a question:

Your 55watt headlight and two 35 watt driving lights was too much for your electrical system??

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 12/01/10 at 10:16:47

It wouldn't surprise me,....it not like you're running 5,000 R's all the time @ 210 watts. How much is it doing at 1500 to 2000, and even 1000 to 1200 at signal lites ?

A 30 amp charging system mite be nice,.......if we're willing to give up a couple HP for it. In theroy 1 hp will make 62 amps, but in reality, figuring the ineffecientcy of everything, and from much experience, it don't come close to that.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #13 - 12/01/10 at 18:18:45

Routy wrote on 12/01/10 at 10:16:47:
It wouldn't surprise me,....it not like you're running 5,000 R's all the time @ 210 watts. How much is it doing at 1500 to 2000, and even 1000 to 1200 at signal lites ?

A 30 amp charging system mite be nice,.......if we're willing to give up a couple HP for it. In theroy 1 hp will make 62 amps, but in reality, figuring the ineffecientcy of everything, and from much experience, it don't come close to that.

That's true. I wish we could upgrade our generators. I've been looking online and can't seem to find much...

The ONLY other option would be to replace ALL the lights with leds, expept for the headlight. the 21watt brake light would be replaced with a 5 watt led (probably a brighter light too), the 21 watt turn signals, with 3 watt LEDs. And the miscellaneous 3watt lights (4 or 5 I believe) with 0.5 watt leds. It adds up. I did the math and it saves around the same amount of power that the two 35 watt fogs will draw.

There go my 55 watt fogs.... Sad But it's better than none at all  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/01/10 at 18:23:38

There was talk of an upgraded stator pack last year.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:15:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adding fog lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.