Send Topic Print
The project begins (Read 7265 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The project begins
Reply #285 - 02/28/11 at 05:02:56

Yeaa,,, me too. I only run the die grinder when I have no option. I sure would like a fat 2 stage, belt  driven compressor head on a 100 gallon tank with a High Duty cycle motor u there spinning away, instead of this $150.00 Harbor Freight, 30 gallon, 1/3rd HP thing. I cant even air the big tire on the backhoe up from 20 to 25 without the compressor kicking in. I shut down when it kicks in, cuz I dont want to burn the poor thng up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #286 - 02/28/11 at 09:28:29

Mine's one of these. Less capacity, but less time to build pressure back up.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #287 - 02/28/11 at 15:54:26

I got the notice today that my Ryca production slot has opened, so the beginning phase is about to shift to the completion stage. It will take them a while to mod my tank.

I'm getting things in bare metal and my pro painter buddy will be laying down the color.

I won't be reassembling the engine until I get the stage 1 cam back.

I also need to get the front hub re-laced to a rim. That's being held up by my experiment in upgrading to a 2-piston caliper.

So, once parts start arriving, I'll finish this thread and start one with the completion stage.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #288 - 03/01/11 at 02:39:54

A portable air tank for airing up tires would allow you to increase your volume for cheap and still be able to disconnect it & haul it to the car to top off a tire. Plumb a Milton fitting onto it & couple your POrter/Cable to it by threading a couple of male fittings together to fit between them & run your hose off the portable tank. $30.00 & a half hours work &  you could have another 10 gallons of volume And a portable air tank. Youd wait longer, but you could work a bit longer. IDK how that would affect the life of the compressor, tho, if at all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #289 - 03/01/11 at 08:02:24

I do a fair bit of wood working and use my compressor quite a bit. I started with a pancake compressor like MotoBuda and plumbed in one of thoes portable air tanks. It will work but the motor and compessor on the smaller compressors just are not built to run the amount of time to fill the extra capacity. Two compressors later and I now have a small 2 stage 30 gallon belt driven oil filled compressor, and I can actually hear myself think when its running too. That said i do still keep a small pancake compressor around for the little jobs not close to the main compressor.

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #290 - 03/01/11 at 09:04:44

One annoying thing about my little compressor is that the vibration makes it turn in circles which winds up the cord and hose. I found it will hold still if I get two of the feet in the expansion gap between the driveway and garage floor. Otherwise, in cold weather, I have to keep a foot on it. Oh well, it's not like I use it a lot.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #291 - 03/01/11 at 13:35:36

Big delivery day today. Most significant is the fork kit from Ryca. Left to right are the stiffer springs, the damper rod tool (which I don't need because I already made my own) with the spacers, the aluminum bars for the clip-ons and the clips for the clip-ons.

I decided to go with an 18" front wheel -- because I like the look of the front and rear rims being the same diameter, and to drop the front another half inch. So the tire, tube, spoke tape, rim savers and tire irons arrived.

Then for next year's project bike, a fantastic '60s vintage Cushman seat arrived. All steel, delightfully scabby paint, as wide as my butt, and, as luck would have it, the nose of the bracket lines up perfectly with the seat/tank cross piece on the frame. There are some springs that I won't be using, since I believe in shock absorbers. I don't know how the rubber block worked originally, but I won't be needing that either.

Imagine, if you will...

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #292 - 03/01/11 at 13:43:36

Oh Yea motobuddah, I'm right behind you and feeling daunted by this building a Ryca thingie.  What tire, size and model is the front tire?  I've got a extra font hub and would like to do the same maybe.  Are you doing your own spoke lacing?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #293 - 03/01/11 at 13:48:14

I'm going to send the hub off to Buchanan Spoke & Rim to be laced up to one of their shouldered Excel rims (polished, of course). Stainless steel spokes with nickel plated nipples.

The tire is the same model as the one Ryca monts on the rear, a Kenda K671F, but 90/90-18 size.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #294 - 03/01/11 at 16:39:23

I was thinking of getting an 18 wheel too, but with black powder coated rims. Still on the fence though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #295 - 03/01/11 at 19:55:09

IN-S40 wrote on 03/01/11 at 08:02:24:
I do a fair bit of wood working and use my compressor quite a bit. I started with a pancake compressor like MotoBuda and plumbed in one of thoes portable air tanks. It will work but the motor and compessor on the smaller compressors just are not built to run the amount of time to fill the extra capacity. Two compressors later and I now have a small 2 stage 30 gallon belt driven oil filled compressor, and I can actually hear myself think when its running too. That said i do still keep a small pancake compressor around for the little jobs not close to the main compressor.

Darren
IN-S40

I was afraid O that..

Tell me more bout th 2 stage compressor,,

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #296 - 03/02/11 at 10:10:32

The tank, the rear hub and a cashier's check for the first half payment posing at the shipping store before their schlepp to the opposite coast. Bon voyage!

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #297 - 03/02/11 at 13:37:47

Motobuddah, So today your tank and hub heads out to LA for the Ryca build startup.  How Long are they telling you it will take to get your items back to you over here in the east?  

I'm excited for you and heck you're bout a big bro to us all anyways...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #298 - 03/02/11 at 15:13:12

I didn't ask about turnaround, but I'm guessing a couple of weeks.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #299 - 03/02/11 at 16:56:00

What are the plans for that tank?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The project begins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.