The project begins (Read 7265 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: The project begins
Reply #195 - 02/14/11 at 04:31:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/14/11 at 02:18:41:
Is the connecting rod showing rust? Clean is nice, oily is good too.

When I got the bike, it had been sitting a few years and the crankcase had filled with gasoline. So when I drained it it didn't leave much in the way of oily residue behind.  Guess I could spritz some oil around in the crankcase.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #196 - 02/14/11 at 05:12:08

"Hit it with a hammer" is supposed to be the joke solution for mechanical problems, right? So I got a little perverse satisfaction thumping on the head and cylinder with a rubber dead blow mallet in order to losen them. However, it seemed so wrong hitting a screw driver with a framing hammer in order to bend back the locking tabs on the cam shaft sprocket bolts.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #197 - 02/14/11 at 07:13:51

However, it seemed so wrong hitting a screw driver with a framing hammer in order to bend back the locking tabs on the cam shaft sprocket bolts.

Well, thats because it IS wrong. But, ya gotta make do with what ya got & that works. As your tool collection grows, you'll want some chisels of different thicknesses & punches & a ball pein or 2.

I  didnt know not to hit hammer on hammer when I was 18. Was changing  Ujoint, had no punches, no vise, just wrenches, a driveway & 2 hammers.  I wound up with a piece  of hammerface in my right hand, up by my thumb main knuckle. Air Force  Doc said, we gotta leave it in there, its too deep & too close to major nerves to go get it. Over the years, it migrated down between th big knuckle & the one down by the thumbnail. I was working on a car with a hot engine & got it against the exhaust manifold. Didnt take much cutting to get it out after that burn healed up.

Anyway, Never smack a hammer with  hammer..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #198 - 02/14/11 at 08:39:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/14/11 at 07:13:51:

I think Mythbusters did a thing on that.

As far as bending back lock tabs goes, I thing the "proper" tool would be something like a wrench socket but with the six chisel shaped edges. Each edge would be more slanted than the next, You'd slip the "socket" onto the bolt head or nut with the thinnest angle lined up with the tab. Give it a hit to pry back the tab a bit, then rotate the "socket" to the next flatter angle. Repeat until the tab is flat. Oh, sure, you'd need a different wedge "socket" for each bolt size, but...
Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #199 - 02/14/11 at 08:47:52

I started the bend on mine with a wood chisel, soon as it was out far enough ( about 1/8th") I went to a cold chisel, then went to a punch & walked it out nice & easy like, More light taps works better than a couple of Big Smacks. Its bad form, I know, but I sometimes use my body hammer, cuz its lite & I can deliver quick taps. Learning how to hold a chisel is good, too. Palm toward the chisel will cut down on those knuckle mashin misses. If you have to use a bigger hammer & swing hard, hold a punch with vise grips.

I cant speak to Mythbusters results, but I can show ya the scar. Wish I still had the hammer  with the little pieces missing around the edge of the face. Looking back,, Il bet I had to borrow a hammer. No way I owned 2 of the same kind of tool back then. No way I owned 2 1 pound ball piens.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #200 - 02/14/11 at 11:21:07

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/14/11 at 08:39:48:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/14/11 at 07:13:51:

I think Mythbusters did a thing on that.

As far as bending back lock tabs goes, I thing the "proper" tool would be something like a wrench socket but with the six chisel shaped edges. Each edge would be more slanted than the next, You'd slip the "socket" onto the bolt head or nut with the thinnest angle lined up with the tab. Give it a hit to pry back the tab a bit, then rotate the "socket" to the next flatter angle. Repeat until the tab is flat. Oh, sure, you'd need a different wedge "socket" for each bolt size, but...
Grin

mythbuster did do it, they weren't able to get to modern hammers to fracture.

and moto... you gotta be kidding me.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
sexysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #201 - 02/14/11 at 11:27:05

I just registered on this forum, but I have been following your build from the beginning.  Can't wait to see what you do next.  I have been researching diffrent bikes to turn into a bobber and this I think is hands down the one to go with.  Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #202 - 02/14/11 at 12:12:51

ralfyguy wrote on 02/13/11 at 18:59:54:
I think the engine parts look great. How are the tappets looking?

Like this:

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #203 - 02/14/11 at 15:40:03

IMHO all the critical parts look very healthy.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #204 - 02/14/11 at 15:45:38

The bike had less than 9K miles on it, so it should be in good condition. It's just that the way it had been neglected on the outside, the fact it had sat for a long time, a crankcase full of gas, and the general, oh, slovenliness of the previous owners, had me fearing things would be worse.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #205 - 02/14/11 at 16:38:52

So, what's the right way to clean the carbon from the valves?

"Right" way or not, I used some carb cleaner and a plastic bristle brush. I'm fighting the temptation to scrape the last bit of baked on carbon from the valves.

(The little bubbles are some freshly sprayed WD40.)

« Last Edit: 02/14/11 at 17:48:27 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #206 - 02/14/11 at 17:59:12

thats just fine. Dont get too froggy. Way better than I got mine last year.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #207 - 02/15/11 at 10:00:58

Ordered a pair of these today:

YSS E-302, 320mm long. Just a basic shock with preload adjustment. I got these instead of the Progressive shocks Ryca has in their kit. I wanted to be able to specify the spring rate, and I think they look better than the Progressive units. I don't like the chrome springs and end caps. And I suspect they weigh less.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #208 - 02/15/11 at 12:13:39

That's as good-lookin' as a shock can be, if ya ask me....  A bit pricey?

« Last Edit: 02/15/11 at 13:25:02 by babyhog »  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #209 - 02/15/11 at 12:30:20

babyhog wrote on 02/15/11 at 12:13:39:
A bit pricey?

$300 for the pair, versus about $445/pr for Works Steel Trackers, $420/pr for Hagon Type A's, $645/pr for Progressive 440's and, oh. about $3,000/pr for Ohlins.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The project begins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.