Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need an Opinion (or Several) (Read 261 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Need an Opinion (or Several)
11/28/10 at 14:34:08

I have been talking with my mechanic (auto not bike). He is a friend of 20 years, and has been riding for 40 or more.  

We were discussing my dropping of my Savage on a turn a month back.  He said he had seen me riding, and he believed that my Savage is to small a bike for me.  He is not trying to sell me something else, it was just a comment in general about the ease & safety of me and my bike. His exact comment was "As big as you are, the geometry just doesn't work with that size bike"  

Now, I'll admit to being a heavyweight.  I am 6'1" and about 325-330.  I have been riding my Savage  for a year, but I'm looking for opinions from others with years of experience to chime in on what he said.  

Do I need a bigger bike? Or is he just blowin' smoke?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Need an Opinion (or Several)
Reply #1 - 11/28/10 at 14:42:32

It's a full-size, adult bike....  if you're comfortable, and it does the job for you, it's perfect...
Many people around the world, of varied size, ride Honda cubs...
In the 1960's, a Savage would have been considered a big bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/28/10 at 15:22:32

Its a personal decision.  I used to ride a TTR 50 around a warehouse flat tracking it every where.  it was a blast.  I ride Harley's everyday at work.  But then I have become rather fond of my little 650.  Its great on gas...Not too complicated to work on and if you mess up...oh well,just fix it.   If you like it.  thats what matters.  If you dont...its up to you.  You are the one that has to ride it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/28/10 at 15:26:40

So I read thru your crash report and nothing really stands out.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288476675/0

15 mph on either some debris hidden in the tracks or water on the tracks themselves.  something.  Your rear tire slipped.  Most people say their tires slip on wet steel.  Could more weight on the rear tire have have helped?  You have close to 500# on your rear tire.  A bigger bike would have more, but I don't think that would've helped.  A bigger bike would also have 2 cylinders, a smaller flywheel, less of a torque monster at low speeds, and maybe a little easier to handle at low speeds.  Next possibility, bigger bikes are longer.  Would that help? IDK.

This is your 1st year riding, every new road has risk and is a learning experience.  Regardless of what you ride, the risk is the same.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/28/10 at 15:53:45

I really believe you are big for a S40,Would you feel safer on a 26 inch bicycle or a 20 inch bicycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #5 - 11/28/10 at 16:17:48

Size of the bike is not a factor in fact if you check the wheel base to others you'll be surprised. Your size is not a factor but your weight may have been if you have stock shocks. The stock units are probably useless to any one over 180#. A good and reasonably priced set are Hagon. Call and on the phone the guy will compute the damping rate and spring rate you need.
http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #6 - 11/28/10 at 16:51:22

Been seeing a fellow around my neighborhood for the past several years on a 250 Rebel. He's maby 6'5", better than 300 lbs. Can't hardly see the bike. Ride what makes you happy and have fun---Luke

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 11/28/10 at 17:08:27

Tanker, I am not quite as big as you are (close, but not quite Wink).  I too have had people tell me I needed a bigger bike.  They were not trying to sell me anything either, just making conversation, I guess.  Of course they were all riding big Harleys, dyna wde big in one case.  One guy even told me I probably would not be able to do the dragon run, the bike probably would not take me up the mountain.  That was 100% a comment on the bike, not my riding.  My riding skills on the dragon would be another topic.

I tended to disagree with the "you need a bigger bike crowd"  I really like the savage, it is small and light, nimble I would say.  It will run me well over the speed limit, even the interstate limit.  I have never had a problem with the bike being underpowered, which is not exactly your question.

I did get a set of Ed L's forward controls and they made the bike just right for me.  I also like the simplicity of the bike.  All in all, the savage is plenty of bike for me.  I have no desire to get another, bigger bike.  The savage fits me fine.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #8 - 11/28/10 at 19:19:52

I was your size when I bought my bike. I went thru the MSF course at NSA Mid-South (Millington TN Navy base) about three years ago. The instructor had the same comments to me. That was 14000 miles ago. The bike and I are surviving just fine. I did upgrade the shocks to 11 inch heavy duty shocks. Could have stayed with the standard duty (sized to fit a heavier bike) and had a smoother ride. I have done the standard dyna muffler, rejet and K&N air filter. I commute to work at 65 - 70 mph with no issues at all. The light weight and engine torque have kept me away from cagers on cell phones more than once. For what I have time to ride etc, Suzi is the perfect bike. If I ever retire and have the opportunity to do some real road trips, I'll consider a bigger bike. I have less than $3500 invested in a bike that can do all I need and more. Why pay more to have a status symbol!!! Enjoy your ride, learn from your experiences and those here that share their's. I took a familar corner not long ago a few blocks from the house. I ahd just told myself that I was surprised that there wasn't more dirt and debris on the road from the days of steady downpours that had just cleared out that morning. I went hard left and hit sand!!! I stayed on the throttle until I hit some clear asphalt. I should have gone down but didn't. Next time that I talk to myself, I should listen. Enjoy!!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 11/28/10 at 20:59:22

Serowbot wrote on 11/28/10 at 14:42:32:
It's a full-size, adult bike....  if you're comfortable, and it does the job for you, it's perfect...
Many people around the world, of varied size, ride Honda cubs...
In the 1960's, a Savage would have been considered a big bike...

In the 70s I rode Kawa Triple 500s and 750s, but I considered the Honda 350 a perfectly acceptable motorcycle in every sense of the word--still do. I've had people walk up and say, "Like your bike." Then they notice 100 mph on the speedometer and ask will it do it. When I say it will, they like it even better. It's a motorcycle for adults who like it and kids, too. I know of one ridden by a ten year old. I agree with these guys if you don't exceed the gross load rating printed on the tires. Enjoy.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/29/10 at 04:52:11

I don't know, maybe you need a bigger bike Grin Grin Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 11/29/10 at 05:33:01

Have you upgraded the springs and damping to work better with your size? The GVW for the LS650 is 700-something pounds. The bike itself is about 350 pounds of that (less if you count only the sprung weight). Add your weight and you're close to the limit.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 11/29/10 at 06:18:25

I'm 6'1" and about 260. I've been told I look small on the bike. I wish I could afford a set of Ed's forward controls, as it would make the bike more comfortable to ride. My arse gets sore after about 50-60 miles. Every now and then, I bottom out on bigger bumps, but generally, it's fun to ride and seems to have enough power. I can keep up with Harleys on the highway, for the most part. Sometimes, I wish I had a Harley. It seems like 90% of bikes on the road are Harleys. And sometimes, those guys don't want to ride with a little Suzuki. I ride on their asses just for the fun of it anyway. Most riders still give me the "rubber side down" signal when passing, so I don't worry too much about how I look, or being accepted in the brotherhood. It's fun and it works for me.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 11/29/10 at 06:34:31

I think its a personal choice.  Do you "feel" too big for the bike?  Could you handle a bigger bike?  

My husband is 6'2, maybe 275# and he looks HUGE on mine.  But I do see a local guy riding a Rebel who is about the size of you and my hubby.  At least we are all riding!      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 11/29/10 at 08:27:35

Well, I think most of us feel the bike is big enough..at least for the usual riding.  Given your height, I suspect the forward control might help-you don't want your kness supporting your chin while you ride.  The stronger shocks would also help, as would a fork brace..  You are early in your riding career.  I'd sink a FEW HUNDRED MORE INTO THE BIKE, miles and dollars and then, after you have the bike set up for YOUR height and weight, get a few more miles&months experience.  By then, you'll have a strong idea whats what. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need an Opinion (or Several)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.