Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Valve Seals (Read 199 times)
ocdave
Ex Member

Removing Valve Seals
11/27/10 at 21:47:13

Can anyone give me some tips on breaking down the valves to replace the valve seals? Some searches revealed that it can be done with "Large C-clamps." I have some 6" C-clamps that look like they might do the trick, but can't seem to get it done with the tricky angle and such. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Removing Valve Seals
Reply #1 - 11/27/10 at 21:48:27

Youve got the head off?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/27/10 at 21:58:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/27/10 at 21:48:27:
Youve got the head off?

yup, head off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/27/10 at 22:00:23

While it may make your wallet cry now, it may save you some anguish now and a much larger hole in your wallet to go get the proper tool.

Personally, I'll probably go have it done.  This is a critical part.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/27/10 at 22:01:48

well,, IDK, man, mite have to buy a tool..or figure a way to get the clamp on it & protect things from getting pushed sideways. This mite just be a good place to ask for ( & pay for) some pro level help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/27/10 at 22:31:05

I think I found the answer to my question. :
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113887118/62#62

just for anyone's future reference it looks like it can be done with a c-clamp and a socket.

I'm having a lot of fun with this project. This is my 1st 4-stroke motorcycle rebuild. I sent the cylinder out to get re-bored. I'm hoping I can do the rest. The valves seem to be seated well. They don't leak any solvent through even after several minutes during my test. I read somewhere here from a person with a successful valve job that they should hold solvent for at least a minute.

« Last Edit: 11/28/10 at 04:39:22 by seitz729 »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 11/28/10 at 01:43:19

I'm the one who wrote the stuff about the "C" clamp and the socket.  You can't readily buy "C" clamps with enough depth to do the job now-a-days, but in the days my wife's grandfather was a carpenter you sure could (and he did).   I scarfed up the old man's tools when we cleaned out the basement -- and I've kept them oiled and usedful for all these years now.

Granddaddy Davis's biggest (deepest) cast iron "C" clamp did the trick for me for free, but for the same (or less) money today you could buy the appropriate valve compression tool.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/28/10 at 07:42:46

curious how the keepers come out or in w/o cutting a chunk outta the socket.
Oh dam,...there I go thinking automotive again ! Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/28/10 at 08:48:24

With a solid socket you put a piece of 2x4 on the inside to take the solid end of the "C" clamp then you compress things on the spring side under a socket until there is a good bit of  looseness then you tap on the valve head on the inside, rattling it back & forth until the keepers both come out of the groove and fall free inside the socket.  Getting it all "balanced" so you can move the valve freely is tough.

Then you can take things apart and catch all the loose pieces.

Number valves and seats on the inside so you know what went where, baggie your keepers with the springs seats and valve for a particular seat number so it all matches when you put it back.

Putting it back together is a lot more fun, I have used two pieces of key stock over the top spring cap to provide some maneuvering clearance, got one retainer in place then rotated the rig to get the other retainer in place.   I didn't sweat the lateral forces involved, I just wanted to "get her done".

But when you are young and broke, time is something you have to burn and lateral forces don't get a lot of attention.

A real valve compression tool would be a lot easier to use .....   less likely to damage things and likely be cheaper than a huge "C" clamp too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/28/10 at 10:24:52

I think this tool on eBay will do the trick. It looks like it has enough clearance:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-DIRTBIKE-VALVE-SPRING-COMPRESSO...

Thanks all,

Are these seals a high wear item? I'm not sure of the condition on the used head I purchased. It supposedly came of a low mileage Savage???

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/28/10 at 10:38:26

Seals are not noted as a failure items on these bikes until you get way up in mileage,  35,000 to 50,000 is earliest failures noted.

We have oil consuming bikes due to rings, blowby etc etc etc -- but seals have never been noted as a failure item.

===================================

Watch out for that spring compresser you found on Ebay  -- because of the large size of our head you must have REACH larger than a standard dirt bike or atv -- reach to go from fins to valve center.   Looking at the picture I don't see enough throat reach to the clamp action.

You likely need a car sized compressor to do our head.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/28/10 at 12:06:01

Hey, guess what?

You can borrow that darn spring compressor from Autozone.

Think it's free too, as long as you return it.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/28/10 at 12:19:21

Might have to buy a part that requires that tool to install.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/28/10 at 12:21:37

If not, you could rent it cheap.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/28/10 at 12:24:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/10 at 12:19:21:
Might have to buy a part that requires that tool to install.

No, they have free tool rentals. Great program, just have to leave a refundable deposit. I couldn't find one at autozone that fit the head. I'll have to check a few other places here in the OC (pep boys, O'reilly, kragen) thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:16:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Valve Seals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.