Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Release Arm not between Marks (Read 145 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Clutch Release Arm not between Marks
11/27/10 at 13:25:18

I just noticed that my Clutch release arm is not sitting paralell between the two marks when at rest.  Should I be concerned?  Is getting the clutch release arm to sit paralell betweent the marks difficult to do?

Thanks in advance.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Clutch Release Arm not between Marks
Reply #1 - 11/27/10 at 13:42:02

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276593115/0#0

Read your homework, then ask questions.    If you are center between the marks, that's ok, lower is better, higher is worse.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 11/27/10 at 14:59:30

wow... thanks.  that was some confusing post.  But it sounds like I need a  new rod.  I only i have 3500 miles on my bike.  I would think the rod should last longer.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/28/10 at 02:21:22

Yup, two things cause this change as reflected at the clutch lever on the handle bar.  Clutch cable stretching and the clutch rod wearing.   Guess which one contributes most?  Yup, cable.  Now guess which one is cheapest to fix (assuming you already have to go into the clutch side cover and your gasket cost is "sunk" already).  Yup, the new longer push rod.

Count your blessings -- two years ago you'd have been looking at a replacement clutch pack (because we didn't know any better back then) and then bitching six months later that it didn't last very long.  

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

« Last Edit: 11/29/10 at 20:44:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 11/28/10 at 10:23:15

Thanks!  Cables looks good... just adjusted and lubed.  Looks like rod will be replaced. I only saw 3 lengths at Cheapcycleparts.com.  Is it safe to assume the stock is middle and I will need the longest rod?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/28/10 at 11:02:01

yep - you can always shorten, but it is tough to add .....

Somebody ought to buy a hundred pack of the correct length of 6mm or 1/4" roller bearing rollers  (plenty tough and hard enough to do the job) then sell them for a reasonable price compared to them gosh-awful expensive stock rods.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/28/10 at 11:07:26

I am not able to grasp how a clutch cable stretching could change the contact points of a mechanism operated BY that cable. I can see how it would affect how much the actuation lever has to be moved Prior to engagement, but thats all I can see..

Clearly a sentence from the mind of a moron, right Mick?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #7 - 11/28/10 at 14:48:25

Just to keep informed... what is clutch pack?  I sounds like if the longest rod is not long enough (eventually) I will have to replace the clutch pack.  Can you help me identify what needs to be purchased from this website? http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/3807-suzuki-2007-LS650%20S40/assemblie...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/28/10 at 18:31:51

Reread your homework -- you don't need to replace your clutch pack.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 11/29/10 at 08:35:18

3500 miles, that is three thousand five hundred miles?  Seems might quick death....I know its not a popular option, but you might consider having a Suzuki mech look at it someday soon.(if one is nearby).  Such low milage should only require a slight adjustment, not replacement.  Certainly less than an hours work. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/29/10 at 10:14:03

Unless you simply are not able to use a clutch right, theres nothing wrong with the clutch pack itself,
The cable can stretch or even break & it wont change the contact point between the "paddle" & the rod. The lever will be pionted where it is, not based on length or even presence of a cabl;e.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:29:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Release Arm not between Marks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.