Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windhield (Read 270 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Windhield
11/26/10 at 18:42:37

What brand of winshield do you have?  Does it protect you pretty well?

Thanks!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Windhield
Reply #1 - 11/26/10 at 18:46:39

Its more the size than brand for protection.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #2 - 11/26/10 at 18:48:56

What's the right size then for a 5'11" guy?  Everything else is standard on the bike.

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/26/10 at 18:53:10

As big as you can get,I've always had big ones and you still need to adjust them to get the best coverage,My first windshield,Almost 40 years ago was a small one and all it did was put more air in your face. I'm only 5' 6 "

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 11/26/10 at 19:58:37

My Savage came with a Slipstreamer Spitfire. I dropped it and broke it. Ordered another one for around $60. I am 6' and it dumps the air over the top, but doesn't buffet my head with 3/4 open helmet and full flip up flat face shield. (Not bubble shield) I would guess that the windshield is only about 2" below the bottom of my face shield. It needs to sit on top of the headlight to avoid wind wiggle. Installs in minutes with allen wrench included. Angle of windshields should be close to angle of fork tubes. Suits me. May not suit you. I like the idea of small windshields. Lower drag=more speed.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #5 - 11/27/10 at 20:55:56

I'm 5'10" and have for the past few months had the Suzuki windshield I think it's great, the bike is more stable in the wind, including sidewinds, (a real consideration where I live).  It does put more air in my face but with a full face helmet and Willey X motorcycle glasses I don't really care.
RC

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: WindShield
Reply #6 - 11/27/10 at 21:37:49

It depends on what you want.  I started out with a big one and you can hide behind it w/o much wind on you.  In the summer, that can be pretty miserable.  So I got a sportshield and life was good.  And summer rolled around again, and I wondered how much better it could be w/o a shield at all.  At 50 life is good, at 60 any sign of a grin and you're doing a chipmunk imitation wondering if you can swallow any more air.  So I got a flyshield and I'm comfortable up to 70.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1282404909/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278857199/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1277343763/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214948852/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181325729/0

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/28/10 at 06:47:22

Mine is SlipStreamers Falcon SS 32-20, pictured at the very end of page 2 in the 2nd link of Versl's list above. I meant what I said about it !

For size, I bought the 20" (16 would be too short) model, and I can only tell you that I am 6.0 ft tall, and adjusted to the lowest position, I had to cut 1 1/4" off the top to allow me to see over the top. Actually I now have a choice to look over or thru it.

But the cutting was very easy using a fine tooth saber saw and fully masking tape the area. After sanding the edge, you can't see it was ever cut.

This shield is adjustable up/down on the fork by 2 1/2"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 11/28/10 at 21:12:49

Routy made me think of something. The Slipstreamer Spitfire mounting
rods hit the front of the gas tank with right or left full locked steering. I lowered mine to the top of the headlight and sawed them off to prevent this. Be sure to check for interference when mounting windshields.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/28/10 at 21:55:23

Yep, I had the spitfire also,...... mine was 5" above the headlite, and I still had to cut the rods off. But it was a nice sheild if you like small.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 11/29/10 at 05:07:25

I don't have any trouble with my Slipstreamer Spitfire hitting anything anywhere, and I never cut any part of it.  Maybe I have the supports up higher on the bars.  I think a windshield makes all the difference in the world.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 11/30/10 at 00:14:07

babyhog, I think the shape of the handlebars and where you place the grips on the bars make a difference. Just sayin' to watch out for interference when mounting. The tanks are thin, and sometimes when you leave the bike on the sidestand the front wheel will clunk to the left denting the tank in front. And yes, the Spitfire makes a big difference to me, too.  Smiley

IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Windshield
Reply #12 - 12/01/10 at 07:47:17

Routy wrote on 11/28/10 at 06:47:22:
Mine is SlipStreamers Falcon SS 32-20, pictured at the very end of page 2 in the 2nd link of Versl's list above. I meant what I said about it !"

How did this affect your mileage or didn't it make much difference?  Looks like it cuts the wind and bugs pretty well for your hands too?  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 12/01/10 at 08:01:35

Nothing noticable for mileage, but I'm never on any straight runs that give consistent mileage anyway. But I would guess w/ the arodynamics of it, I would think that at speed... mileage would increase before it decreased.
Yes, it is a drastic improvement over the much smaller spitfire, and a friend says it is a somewhat of an improvement over the OEM Suzie windshield that he traded out for it. But don't let me mislead,.....when its 40'ish out there, this ole guy is riding in something w/ a heater in it ! Shocked Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 12/01/10 at 11:53:59

Memphis Fats 21". Works great.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013