Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help diagnosing a sound (Read 265 times)
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Need help diagnosing a sound
11/24/10 at 16:17:42

Alright Savage Guru's I need help again. Last weekend I finally fixed the squeak in my speedo and pulled off my rear fender that was rattling(it cracked after I chopped it, so now I need to weld it). That's when I started to hear this sort of ticking sound. Maybe it's just more noticeable but I swear it's getting worse. It may or may not be related but recently it feels like my clutch is going bad too. If I don't downshift at the appropriate speeds as I'm decelerating it won't downshift until I rev it a bit with the clutch in and slowly let off while down shifting. I posted a video below that I think you can hear the problem pretty darn well. A friend of mine suggested I was just low on oil but my level is fine. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, this is my only means of transportation and I hate having her sound like this. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvF-DAjg1A

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Lupo

Re: Need help diagnosing a sound
Reply #1 - 11/24/10 at 16:33:52

Actually the video is pretty good. Adjust your valves and adjust your clutch cable. Could be an exhaust leak also but check the valves for sure.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/24/10 at 17:10:52

+1 on clutch rod related issues (where is your actuation lever in relationship to the markings on the case?) ---- push rod could also be bent as the sound is in time with engine speed.   Does slightly tightening on the clutch lever make the sound change?

After doing that, tighten all your motor mounts.  Two up top, one in back bottom, middle bottom and front bottom.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 11/26/10 at 20:39:50

Thinking back to the old 235 cu in Chevrolet sixes, imagine the valve train noise from them minus 5 cylinders. Also, it could be a loose sparkplug. (Which, BTW Lupo, sounds like an exhust leak.)

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #4 - 11/27/10 at 15:51:17

I needed to replace brakes and do some other stuff today so i'll be working on her, just had a few questions. I have no idea how to know "where is your actuation lever in relationship to the markings on the case?". And how would i check to see if i have a bent push rod? When you say "slightly tightening on the clutch lever" do you mean just squeezing the clutch in a little bit? if so, then no that doesn't change the sound at all. I'll be checking the motor mounts and spark plug today though too. Sorry i'm such a noobie, but thanks for your help guys!

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #5 - 11/27/10 at 17:15:19

Cal, I've always worked on my own machines, was a mechanic in the Army and worked in a mechanical field for over 30 years after that. Now the point. The first thing I do whenever I buy a different bike is order a workshop manual. You can ask for and receive tips here but still the best way to do your maintenance is to have a manual at hand. The tech sect of these forums is great for the info you need right now but go to Amazon and order a Clymer manual and you'll have it in 3-4 days. Then you too can be a Guru.
Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/27/10 at 19:58:05

Theres no way I could have tackled this bike w/o a manual. Ive replaced the frame on 2 Ford pickups, been a mechanic of sorts, all my life, fixed copiers & cash registers & just done lots of things,, BUT, w/o a manual, I wont work on anything that makes me delve into places that are technical &  individual to THAT piece of equipment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #7 - 11/29/10 at 19:23:28

I went out to start her up today and she wouldn't start. I'm sure it's a combination of my pre-existing conditions and the cold (it was 32 last night). I have the electronic copy of Clymers but ordered the book so I'd have something to reference while wrenching. I've had several people tell me now they think it's a bent pushrod as well. I'm starting to feel like an idiot though, because I can't find the pushrod in Clymers. The way I understand it the push rod is actuated by the cam to operate the valves. I was going to just order a new one but I'm stuck. Is push rod the actual name? where can i get one? where in the clymers does it say how to replace it? I think i'm going crazy on this one... please HELP.

by the way i checked the play in the cable and there is the recommended 3mm of play between the handle and the housing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/29/10 at 20:02:29

That's cause you don't have push rods, that's HD. must be patented or something cause no modern bike has em.

You gotta overhead cam and rockers.

Now your little old lady has a tick, and usually that's loose valve adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #9 - 11/29/10 at 20:36:20

This has pushrods Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/29/10 at 20:54:22

nice watch   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #11 - 12/01/10 at 06:26:10

SHE RUNS! I adjusted the valves last night (easier than I thought). Thanks everyone for the advice. I re-read OF's advice and realized he was talking about clutch and I was thinking engine (it's not bent BTW). So I still haven't figured out the sticky clutch but at least I was able to take her out for a ride. I don't know if the valve issue was hiding it or what, but there is some serious surging and bucking going on now. I have a K&N cone air filter, the stock California Edition muffler, and the stock jets. I was thinking maybe a larger main jet?? Also, the previous owner had slightly chewed the brass screw for air/fuel mixture, do they sell those in the carb rebuild kit or how do I go about getting one? Thanks again guys!

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #12 - 12/01/10 at 07:36:50

...and of course you did remember to lube your clutch cable, right Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/01/10 at 08:21:56

CalisOsin wrote on 12/01/10 at 06:26:10:
So I still haven't figured out the sticky clutch but at least I was able to take her out for a ride. ... but there is some serious surging and bucking going on now. I have a K&N cone air filter, the stock California Edition muffler, and the stock jets. I was thinking maybe a larger main jet?? Also, the previous owner had slightly chewed the brass screw for air/fuel mixture, do they sell those in the carb rebuild kit or how do I go about getting one?

Another clutch issue is going on, slip over there and read up on it.
surging and bucking, I'd clean the carb or give seafoam a shot.
Yes, you are definitely lean with that k&n, get a set from lancer (note he may be indisposed at the moment)
And yes some carb kits have the idle mixture screw included but can be ordered separately.  take note, there are different ones.

WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #14 - 12/01/10 at 09:59:35

@ Lupo - I did! Smiley
@ verslagen - I have been meaning to, work is running me ragged, and I was more concerned with the bike not starting, I'll definitely be reading up on it shortly. I'll probabaly pull the carb this weekend to clean it, and then run some seafoam through it. I'll see if I can get a hold of Lancer for a set and thanks again for the great info!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help diagnosing a sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.