Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb modding (Read 313 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Carb modding
11/23/10 at 20:41:03

So I did a lot of research regarding carbs for our Savage. I will be doing a few mods tomorrow and want to make sure I'm setting the carb to the right settings. I'm replacing the stock exhaust with a hard krome exhaust and swapping the airbox for a HUGE K&N filter, modding with PVC piped to make it all fit. I will be putting in a 157.5 main and 57.5 pilot jet as well as removing the spacer.

So all I do is unscrew the stock pilot and main jets, screw the new 157.5 and 57.5 jets in all the way, and remove the white spacer in the carb? Does this sound right?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carb modding
Reply #1 - 11/23/10 at 21:41:05

It's all just guessing,.. very dependent on elevation and weather, but... I'd say rich... without boosting compression...
Personally,.. if you are close to sea level... I'd think #155/#55 with a half to 2/3 spacer...
.. even at that, you might be rich...

Does the Hard Chrome have any baffling at all?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 11/23/10 at 22:29:45

agree...prob too rich

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/24/10 at 04:58:04

To answer your question, the answer is no !
If you're bike is running good in all ranges, and you are modding the carb, only because of something you read,......good luck ! You won't be the first to get into trouble by throwing mods at the carb w/o an obvious reason to do so. As was said, determining the mods a carb may need can depend on many different conditions.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #4 - 11/24/10 at 05:01:25

Dammit. Well, I'm gonna run the hard krome with no baffling at all, pretty much a straight pipe and see how it runs. If it doesn't work out, there is a removable baffle that provides MINIMAL backpressure. From what I read in the tech section, this should be okay...hope it works out well...I'll be starting in a couple hours...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/24/10 at 12:57:09

If your engine is stock and the only change is the muffler then keep the baffles in the HARD KROME  and don't go any larger than 55/155, with half a white spacer; you may even only need 52.5/152.5 with half spacer.

The HARD KROME is a very free flowing muffler even with the baffles IN

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 11/24/10 at 14:53:31

i put a Harley exhaust on with a very small baffle and the bike ran great by just upping the main to 150 and messing with the idle screw. 60-70 mpg and plenty quick. i got a bug up my a$$ about bobbing it and putting on a cone air filter and jetting it more. as hard as i could try, i never got the tuning right tho. mpg went down and it lost some of that low end, sh!t-and-get power. i'm back to the stock air box, harley pipe, and just the 150 main and i couldn't be happier.
just my $0.02

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #7 - 11/25/10 at 19:50:53

Routy wrote on 11/24/10 at 04:58:04:
To answer your question, the answer is no !
If you're bike is running good in all ranges, and you are modding the carb, only because of something you read,......good luck ! You won't be the first to get into trouble by throwing mods at the carb w/o an obvious reason to do so. As was said, determining the mods a carb may need can depend on many different conditions.

Statement 1: Thank you. This would have sufficed.

Statement 2: Unless you're illiterate, I can safely assume that if you modded or will mod your bike, you probably modded your bike because of something you read as well. People here suggest 155main and 55pilot. I read that. I will be doing that based on what I have read. Therefore, I am modding my carb because of something I have read. Thanks for good luck if you did not intend irony.

Statement 3: Again, unless you're illiterate, my reason for modding my carb (as mentioned in OP) is because I will be replacing the intake and exhaust with the most free-flowing, tolerable devices available, seeking maximum power and acceleration. This reason is obvious because it is clearly written in the first post. Therefore it is an obvious reason. Therefore, I am, indeed, modding my carb with an obvious reason to do so.

Groupus, THANK YOU! I will seriously consider that.

To everyone else, thank you for your contributions from experience. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is always great to have a good source of information about these issues. I'll get the 155 and 55 jets and half spacer. I'm about 100 feet above sea level, so this should be more appropriate. I'll also do the carb tuning as Lancer suggested in the Tech section. The one where you unscrew the pilot screw until the bike runs better. (start at 1.5 turns, turn in and out as needed etc.).

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #8 - 11/25/10 at 19:56:43

LANCER wrote on 11/24/10 at 12:57:09:
If your engine is stock and the only change is the muffler then keep the baffles in the HARD KROME  and don't go any larger than 55/155, with half a white spacer; you may even only need 52.5/152.5 with half spacer.

The HARD KROME is a very free flowing muffler even with the baffles IN

Well, my only changes to my stock engine will be the HARD KROME and removing the airbox for a huge K&N tapered filter. Still think 55/155 sounds right? With 1/2 spacer? I live 5 miles from the coast, 100 feet above sea level. Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/26/10 at 09:48:00

Quote:
Statement 2: Unless you're illiterate, I can safely assume that if you modded or will mod your bike, you probably modded your bike because of something you read as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
You assumed wrong. That make me an illiterate ? I suggest you learn the meaning of words before you start slammin somebody.

If I have a problem, then I look and read for a solution to solve the problem.
I had a severe lean fuel condition in the low to midrange throttle.
I "read" that the white spacer takes the place of the clips in slots that used to be the adjustment for raising or lowering the metering rod that controls the fuel flow in that range,.... and which is what fixed that problem almost perfectly.
If you had really read/researched, you will know that several others did the spacer mod, and had to go back and undo it, only because, like you, they "read" that that was the thing to do.

Don't go slam bang'n people that give advice,.....only to try to help those like you that want to go shootin in the dark w/ carb mods, and then come back here cryin later because it runs bad.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #10 - 11/26/10 at 11:22:47

That's why I asked before I did anything. For the record, your last post proves that you mod your bike because of something you read. Everyone does. That's how it's done. You are not illiterate.

And please stop the false, illogical accusations. They are unnecessary.

Many thanks to everyone else. I'll probably try the 55/155 combo and see how it runs.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 11/26/10 at 12:37:14

don't know if you have found this Progressive Jetting Guide:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244217127/0#0

btw, you might find jetting/tuning to be easier since you have a PVC connector between the filter and carb. you need some form of tubing at least the length of the stock airbox hose to act as a velocity stack. strapping the filter directly to the carb like i did creates turbulence and inconsistent air flow... or at least that's what i've read  Grin

also, pictures would be nice Roll Eyes

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/26/10 at 12:42:10

I'm not so sure eliminating the airbox is the best approach to having an engine breathe well. I've read that if an airbox has a volume = to or greater than the volume of the cylinder, then the engine doesnt have to suck so much air thru a filter to get a gulp of fresh air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #13 - 11/26/10 at 13:45:15

groupus wrote on 11/26/10 at 12:37:14:
don't know if you have found this Progressive Jetting Guide:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244217127/0#0

btw, you might find jetting/tuning to be easier since you have a PVC connector between the filter and carb. you need some form of tubing at least the length of the stock airbox hose to act as a velocity stack. strapping the filter directly to the carb like i did creates turbulence and inconsistent air flow... or at least that's what i've read  Grin

also, pictures would be nice Roll Eyes

YES! that's where I got the "no spacer" from. I ordered the 55/155 jets today. I have no idea where I got 57.5/157.5......

I will be modding the filter along these lines:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1118719528/14#14

basically, trashing everything after the carb, making a short pvc pipe and ankle, then mounting the biggest filter that can fit, in the space where the stock aitbox is, with the tapered filter facing down.

Justin, my air filter will probably come darn close to the stock airbox volume, if not even bigger than the airbox volume. I can tell you for sure, but I'm not sure what the stock airbox volume is.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 11/26/10 at 13:50:29

With and open filter and going down the road you have the air going by, sucking the air away from the filter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb modding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.