Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Retorque head bolts
Reply #15 - 12/11/10 at 21:09:17

Routy wrote on 12/07/10 at 05:34:56:
.....All I'm wondering is if retorquing the head bolts is recommended for this engine. Are they known for any head gasket failures ?  

The book calls for re-torquing the head nuts at 600, 4000, 7500, 11,000, and 15,000 miles (and, presumably, every 4000 miles beyond that).  Dunno why.

Although I've read of a few head gasket failures on this board, it does not seem to be an endemic problem to the Savage.

I'm just sayin'.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 12/11/10 at 21:13:53

spacepirates wrote on 12/08/10 at 14:15:07:
MotoBuddha wrote on 12/08/10 at 05:16:26:
I question that bolt's contribution to proper sealing, since it's outside the critical area of surface mating, sort of out on a little peninsula. Sure, once everything is installed, it might help a little, but only a little.

i questioned it too, so i let it just sit there, un torqued. a few days later i had a leak right around that bolt Sad

my fix was to just cut a short length of iron pipe and top that off with just a single washer and nut, which has worked well so far.

MotoBuddha wrote on 12/08/10 at 14:34:42:
The science side of me wonders though what other variables might have been involved. Was it just the bolt, or was it the way the sealant was applied? I don't know.

Dunno, but the last time I did this job, I let the sealant cure without torquing this bolt, then I torqued it after the chrome cover went on.

A few hundred miles later, I got an oil leak right at that spot.   Angry

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 12/11/10 at 21:16:03

BurnPgh wrote on 12/08/10 at 14:57:52:
I dont even have that bolt anymore. For a while I got a shorter one and put it in so the nut would be between the fins. Just kept it out all of this past season with no issue at all.

I could never be that lucky!    :'(

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/15/10 at 03:52:22

MotoBuddha wrote on 12/07/10 at 06:32:36:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/184ea0e1.jpg

Because 23 washers is a better solution than a shorter bolt?  Grin

Anyone have any problems installing a shorter bolt here? I believe this is the L65 bolt that needs to be installed upside down prior to replacing the head cover. I'm missing some of the chrome cover parts and bolts and don't plan on installing the covers. Does anyone know the bolt size I can use in place of this washer solution? thanks

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #19 - 12/15/10 at 04:06:24

I imagine you could put the stock bolt in place, put the head cover on without bolting it down, make a bark on the stock bolt to show the minimum length, take off the head cover, remove the stock bolt and use it to find another bolt that's long enough, adding enough for a nut and washer to thread onto. The new bolt doesn't need to be any thicker than the stock bolt and can't be any thicker than the diameter of the holes it needs to pass through.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retorque head bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.