Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
no sparky (Read 363 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: no sparky
Reply #15 - 11/18/10 at 10:54:30

I thought is was turning over?? motor spinning, whatever.
If that does NOT happen then you don't get a spark, no matter WHAT.
Motor has to spin for magneto to send a signal to the CDI to create a spark.

So, your problem isn't "no sparky".  It is "no spinny".  right?

So confused..  Undecided

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 11/18/10 at 11:52:54

Well that's what I'm guessing. I know the engine turns because I've turned the flywheel over and can feel the piston pumping in there. I would think that I should have been able to pop start it because of that but was never able to.
The PO had stated that they took the stator cover off and maybe did something "in there". That's the only clue I have that the magneto may be at fault here...
I pulled that cover off a couple weeks ago and all the connections looked good so I put it back together.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/18/10 at 12:48:12

There you go, found the problem of 'no spinney'
There's a couple of washers on the starter idle gears.
People usually put them in the wrong spots when they put it back together.  I think they go on the spur gear.  check the manual.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 11/18/10 at 12:53:13

I'll give that a shot...
I still plan to pull the starter out and try to get it spinning just to be sure. If it spins then I'll have to wait until after t-day when we visit my folks in Springfield, MO to try an crack it open and check the starter gears.
Thanks for the suggestions!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 11/18/10 at 19:58:23

Just finished pulling the starter out...battery neg ground to frame, pos directly to the starter...nada, nothing zilch not even any sparks shooting off or anything.
Does anyone have a spare lying around they want to sell?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - 11/19/10 at 15:28:56

my bad...starter works fine (didn't have it grounded properly  Tongue), after Thanksgiving I'll pull the stator cover and see if the starter gears are screwy

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #21 - 12/28/10 at 16:12:42

any progress?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 12/29/10 at 07:07:02

It depends on what you call progress... Wink
Anyway, as far as the spark goes I'm hoping things pan out when I have the engine back in. Two of the head cover bolts were stripped when I bought it. I thought I'd try to get something working without removing the head but it just was becoming a pain so I took the head off and purchased a 6mm helicoil set. I still need to install the helicoils....maybe tonight.

Once it's buttoned back up and installed back in the frame I'll work on sparky again. As stated above, the washers on the spur gear are most likely why it wasn't spinning up.
The outer washer for the spur gear looks as if it was put on the outside of the starter gear.
The spur gear has a kind of lip with teeth on the outside edge. I'm suspecting that that may have been binding against the side cover but that is just a guess... Huh

BTW, I've been thinking that I might get a gasket kit for this thing since I now have it all apart. I'd like some opinions as to whether it would be necessary. I really just want to get it running and sell it but don't want it leaking oil again.
The existing gaskets seem fine.
ALSO, I have permatex red sealer...would that work on the head cover???
thx

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 12/29/10 at 09:02:07

http://www.permatex.com/documents/GasketMakerSelector.pdf

That's what I'm going with this time.  But key is to follow instructions. apply a bead, put the cover in place, install the bolts to finger tight only, let it take a set, then torque down.  This makes sure you don't squeeze it all out before you torque it down.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 12/29/10 at 09:55:42

Thanks Vers! what about reusing the existing gaskets on the side covers and head?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 12/29/10 at 17:45:45

Reusing gaskets is possible, but ask yourself do you want to tear it down to replace it.

Side covers, no problem, reuse, I do all the time.
Cylinder base, no way!

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 12/30/10 at 06:29:26

Thanks again. The head is already off but the gasket looks fine. The cylinder base hasn't been touched. I figure after it gets torqued down the head gasket will be plenty tight...am I wrong?
I know clymers says to discard it but it's not cheap!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 12/30/10 at 08:03:07

Ditch it. New head gaskets, only. I cant think of an engine that will allow reusing a head gasket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 12/30/10 at 08:34:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/30/10 at 08:03:07:
Ditch it. New head gaskets, only. I cant think of an engine that will allow reusing a head gasket.

+1
Absolutely, didn't even think to mention it.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #29 - 12/30/10 at 08:44:55

Okay guys, I'll replace it. I googled it and it pretty much sounds as if replacing is a must!
Thx

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no sparky

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.