no sparky (Read 363 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
no sparky
11/09/10 at 12:35:26

I need some opinions about the project bike I'm working on. I have torn it down to pretty much the frame and engine. I never did get spark to the plug. Tested the coil for resistance, pulled the stator cover and looked for disconnected anything..., put a known good battery in and still nothing.
So I'm at the point now where I'm trying to decide if I should pull the engine out and work on the stripped head bolt I have and then fix the head cover plug to fix the oil leaks that the bike obviously has...
OR
I was thinking I would take some parts (one at a time) off my running bike to troubleshoot the no spark condition and fix that first. I'd probably try the coil first then the CDI then the soleniod.
The only thing is, I don't want to fry any of my good parts and is that even a possibility?
I'm leaning towards just yanking the engine since it needs it anyway and then when I'm ready to get it back together I can tackle the no sparky situation.  Undecided
Any thoughts would be welcome
thx

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: no sparky
Reply #1 - 11/09/10 at 14:52:16

I would suggest doing the engine work you described first. Who knows, while you are taking it out you might find a previously hidden reason why there is no spark. If you don't, then you know at least you have a good engine and then you can concentrate on chasing down the no spark problem.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/09/10 at 15:24:49

I would do the opposite...
Try, one at a time... the questionable parts,... on your running bike...  
...seems like that would be more definitive...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 11/09/10 at 16:55:39

thanks guys...so take the suspect part, put it on the good bike and then try it? I hadn't thought of that!!! Grin
Any chance I'd fry something in the process? I was thinking that Yonuh's method might be the way to go but I'd really like to see if I can find sparky before I tear the whole darn thing down...
thx

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/09/10 at 17:52:18

Being that you know your good running bike is wired correctly,... I think you're less likely to burn anything out testing parts on it, than putting good parts on the other bike...
... if all the parts show good,.. then you have to look in to a wiring misstep on your project bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 11/16/10 at 08:21:17

OK I took Serowbot's suggestions and started pulling some parts off the project to try in my running bike.
First I pulled the ignition coil, installed it on the good bike - Sparky! Then I pulled the CDI and tried that - Sparky!, Then I pulled the Soleniod (under the seat and man was it a pain to get to on the working bike w/o removing everything) and tried it - Sparky!

So now I've tried most of what I thought could be wrong and they all show a good spark on the running bike. I'm wondering what the heck could be wrong. All the lights work, the engine tries to turn over but I get no spark? If the starter were bad wouldn't it still spark? Could it possibly be a short? Does the alternator go bad? the Rectifier??? Could it be because timing is way off???
I'm at a loss when it comes to troubleshooting electrical stuff.
BTW, I'm suspecting I get no spark when I try to pop start it???
help... Sad

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 11/16/10 at 08:52:50

Check wire that go to voltage rectifier. Happened to me once, it would crank and all the lights would work but it wouldn't fire up. Found that my drive belt had been rubbing against the wires and damaged them. Repaired the wires and it fired right up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 11/16/10 at 08:58:13

Thanks Yonuh. I have a sickening feeling that I'm going to be following every wire down on this thing. I was actually hoping that one of the components I mentioned was bad so I could just replace it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/16/10 at 22:00:06

Troubleshooting technique.

The Half Split Method is what we were taught.

You know where the 12 V starts on a wire, put V ON the wire, if you use a battery charger to keep your battery from getting beat up, thats cool, but go look for the +12 V where its supposed to be. If not there, check the diagram & go look about 1/2 way from source. If there, go back toward the end, where you want the 12 V. if not, then move on toward the source.

Axcellent spot for a trouble light, You clip it onto a ground & poke the needle into a wire..cheap & easy to use.

Check your grounds before you ever go looking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 11/18/10 at 07:29:25

so last night (for the heck of it) I took the battery and clamped jumpers from the neg side to the frame and the pos side directly to the starter (with lots of sparks!)...nothing.
Is the starter dead? I know I read that it's supposed to spin the starter up but there was a whole lot of nothing there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/18/10 at 08:27:15

spark plug removed?

The issue may be that it came up on compression, that will stop the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 11/18/10 at 08:40:13

Spark plug was not removed. I had a spare plug clamped to the engine block and attached to the spark plug boot but still had the plug in the bike.
If I take the starter off the bike and perform the same test it should spin yes?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 11/18/10 at 08:42:45

The starter will spin as long as it gets 12v.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/18/10 at 08:45:28

Bubba wrote on 11/18/10 at 08:40:13:
If I take the starter off the bike and perform the same test it should spin yes?

Si

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 11/18/10 at 08:59:45

Thanks all...I'm gonna get this thing to work if it takes ALL winter... Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no sparky

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.