toast-n-drip (Read 143 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
toast-n-drip
11/09/10 at 10:19:56

this is aimed at Serowbot mostly,remember I said we had a nice prime rib dinner on Sunday ,well this week I will reep the benifits,Jerry will have a heart attack just reading this, I buy this real crunchy bread I let it age a day or two then toast a couple of thick slices,and then spread the fat drippings from the roast on the toast with a dash of salt , talk about toast to die for !  in this case though it could well be true. It used to be very popular back in the old country,you could even buy it in a cafe, (not a restaurant) a kaff to Londoners.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: toast-n-drip
Reply #1 - 11/09/10 at 10:36:36

Hey, Mick, we have two very similar kinds of toast here in Italy, very similar to what you describe.

One is called "focaccia" (I mean the original focaccia from Genova)

It is fresh bread dough, with extra olive oil and salt, kneaded with your knuckles and baked.
The combination of the wheat, oil and salt are an easy,cheap and very efficient way of getting your carbohydrates !!!
Tasty, too !

The other kind is a dry salted biscuit called "galletta" (if you're a seafarer) or "fresa" (if you're a farmer)
GALLETTA
FRESA or FRESELLA

They are either baked with no yeast, and cmoe out of the oven rock hard, or are baked, sliced in half (like you would with a bagel) and rebaked until biscuit-brown.
They will keep for... years...
Then, you simply sprinkle water (or just dunk them) until they're soft, and apply dressing as per your tastes.
GALLETTA
FRESA or FRESELLA

Roll Eyes Now, where did I puit that white wine...

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/09/10 at 15:38:25

... used to save bacon grease and have it on toast...  (back when animal fat was good for you)...

But now,... if you do a ham or roast, or a turkey,... pour all the juices into a jar, and refrigerate... the fat will harden at the top, leaving delicious fat free juices for stews and gravies at the bottom...  (Yum!)... still not as good as drippings though...

I also remember buying  "Scratchings" from the Fisn'n'chip shop for a penny a bag...  that was the bits of fried batter that fall off the fish in the vat...  (wonder if they still sell them?)...

...and now I'm hungry again... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #3 - 11/09/10 at 16:08:43

Mick, next time I'm up in Oregon visitin kin we'll have to get togeather. Sounds like you and I both like "real" food. Also, you got a neat looking dog(my wife will only let me have 3). Enjoy the toast---Luke

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 11/09/10 at 16:40:34

Mick,

We always called those "door stoppers", but is wasn't fat that we squeezed onto the toast, it was the bloody juices out of the roast.  Of course, I loved to do the same thing with day old Yorkshire pudding too.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 11/09/10 at 18:54:47

Serowbot wrote on 11/09/10 at 15:38:25:
... used to save bacon grease and have it on toast...  (back when animal fat was good for you)...

But now,... if you do a ham or roast, or a turkey,... pour all the juices into a jar, and refrigerate... the fat will harden at the top, leaving delicious fat free juices for stews and gravies at the bottom...  (Yum!)... still not as good as drippings though...

I also remember buying  "Scratchings" from the Fisn'n'chip shop for a penny a bag...  that was the bits of fried batter that fall off the fish in the vat...  (wonder if they still sell them?)...

...and now I'm hungry again... Huh...

I guess most people who ate the fried batter are all dead now, but I often did buy it ,best penny I ever spent.You are right on the meat jelly
at the bottom of the dripping,that's the best part, I have just enough for breakfast..

mickrowe37   IP Logged
windingroads
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/09/10 at 19:48:46

I feel a little better about the breakfast I had today now ... couple eggs, toast, coffee and two pizza burgers. Swore to myself when I was a kid I'd have them any time I wanted, and by golly, I do Smiley

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/09/10 at 22:05:37

be sure to keep a drill handy to ream out the clogged arteries. almost sounds worth it tho. ah, who cares, we have lots of arteries anyway!

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #8 - 11/10/10 at 00:34:00

It doesn't clog the arteries, it insulates them.  All the better for living in colder or damp climates.  Toast and drippings - one of the finer things in life.

Where would one find a day old yorkshire pudding to use in lieu of toast?  Never saw anything but an empty plate leave the table at Mum's or at my house.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 11/10/10 at 10:32:14

My grandmother use to churn homemade butter. I use to cut slabs of the homemade butter and put it between 2 pieces of bread, butter sandwich.  Those truly were the "good ol days"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/10/10 at 11:47:06

Midnightrider wrote on 11/10/10 at 10:32:14:
My grandmother use to churn homemade butter. I use to cut slabs of the homemade butter and put it between 2 pieces of bread, butter sandwich.  Those truly were the "good ol days"

I bet you could see your teeth marks in the butter,it was so thick,MMMMm

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › toast-n-drip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!