Send Topic Print
Voltmeter (Read 87 times)
Yan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voltmeter
11/08/10 at 18:05:41

Anyone ever installed a voltmeter on a Savage? I am thinking of something like this. I am wondering what is the best place to connect it to? I mean where on the bike is it easier to find a place to find a positive wire that goes live when the ignition is on? Thanks!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Voltmeter
Reply #1 - 11/08/10 at 18:14:33

The headlite would be one place, but for greatest accuracy, it should be connected near the battery. But finding a switched wire near the battery could be a challenge. Hopefully there won't be much voltage drop at the headlite.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Yan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/08/10 at 18:27:42

Routy wrote on 11/08/10 at 18:14:33:
The headlite would be one place, but for greatest accuracy, it should be connected near the battery. But finding a switched wire near the battery could be a challenge. Hopefully there won't be much voltage drop at the headlite.

There won't be any noticable load on the voltmeter - it's LED so it would consume close to nothing, at least compare to the 55W headlight bulb. The headlight though doesn't look ideal to me - when running with high beam the low beam wire is not live, and vise versa. I was thinking of the front blinkers, they have these running lights there that are lit all the time, but how do I connect to this wire? Anyone knows a good place? Thanks!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/08/10 at 18:42:55

i mounted mine to the front brake reservoir
it is on a switched fused ckt from the battery that controls my stereo,front running lights, and all my led pimp lites...
used 3M industrial foam type double back sticky tape stuff for the mounting..4 years still stuck!!!

btw
its a good way to adjust your idle speed when FULLY warmed up Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/09/10 at 06:15:52

12vdc is very sensitive to voltage drop. Even tho the voltmeter draws hardly any current, anything downstream from the battery is going to show an inconsistent voltage reading, depending how that circuit is loaded. If you are on a circuit that is loaded all the time (w/ ign on) you could get a consistent reading, but it will still be lower than the true battery voltage, which may be ok for knowing whats normal and whats not.
An ideal place would be at the ign switch, because it usually has a very heavy wire feeding it, and is more apt to show true and consistent voltage.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 10:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voltmeter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.