Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Help Wanted signs
11/08/10 at 12:15:12

While doing a couple of errands at lunch today, I drove by two places that had Help Wanted signs near the entrances to the businesses.

1.  First was a large commercial lumber yard that also manufactures trusses.  Their sign was "CDL drivers needed now".  That sure bodes well, since the drivers who are needed would drive the large trucks delivering lumber and pre-made trusses to construction sites.  If sites need lumber, something must be getting built.  Plus, since it will soon be winter here in Ohio, construction naturally tapers off this time of year - maybe not this year?

2.  At a large semi trucker dealership I saw a sign "Mechanics wanted".  If a truck dealership needs mechanics to service trucks, trucks must be traveling the highways delivering goods - another good sign.

Interesting to me to see help needed in skilled areas that generally pay reasonably well.  We've all heard so much lately about the only jobs open being minimum wage "burger flipping" type jobs.

Of course, both of these types of jobs require people with training beyond high school - just another case for some useful education in some type of useful work.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help Wanted signs
Reply #1 - 11/08/10 at 12:35:04

Picking fly sh1t out of pepper with boxing gloves is paid by the ton.
Another good self employment is recycling belly button lint

Phelonius Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/08/10 at 12:41:44

And that kind of ridiculous comment adds to the discussion how?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #3 - 11/08/10 at 12:47:12

Of course, one doesn't know if the people hired for these positions will be additions to the employers' workforce, or replacements for workers who left for whatever reason.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 11/08/10 at 12:54:20

I work in a retail lumber yard here in N.H. and there isn't much building going on here. We had a little spike in business in Sept. but it didn't last long. Just hoping we can make it through the winter.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 11/08/10 at 12:55:21

Spiff -

Good point.  At least if a worker left for whatever reason, the business is replacing him rather than just downsizing through attrition.

It just seems to me that slowly, far too slowly, things are coming back a little, and the mood I see among my friends, clients, etc. is a bit more upbeat.

At least investors are starting to think so.  The stock market as of the end of last week is about where it was before the Lehman Bros. collapse in late 2008, the event that seemed to accelerate the recession.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - 11/08/10 at 12:58:15

Al -

There in N.H., isn't it really winter already?  I presume you guys are in winter slowdown mode already.  Right or wrong?

The lumber yard I saw isn't a retail operation - more of a contractors' supply place, and truss manufacturer.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/08/10 at 12:59:48

I recently let my CDL lapse, I see no reason to keep it.
Anyway just about anyone can go to truck driving school (like I did) I recall it cost about $3500 for the course,probably a bit more now,
But you can get a very reasonable student loan,and they help you out looking for work.
If you are young and fit you can drive anything ,if you a tad over the hill go for flatbed driving, the load is usually on a pallet easy on east off. And if you know someone try ang get on tankers,best pay least work,most dangerous.       Toward the end of my short career It seemed to me I was getting nothing but hand unloads,with a 53 foot trailer it seems to take forever. It was a good paying job,even back then it paid about $4000 a month + benifits.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/08/10 at 13:09:04

I just had another thought Jerry, some drivers in winter just quit until spring, Sorry lady's  but alot of women drivers quit and re aply in spring, and if you have ever put chains on a big rig in the freezing cold ,you would quit to.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/08/10 at 13:09:40

Mick -

You make some excellent points, my Friend, as usual.

Getting the training a person needs to get a good job at decent pay doesn't have to take years and break the bank.

What is does take is for someone to have the initiative to do it, rather than sit around and whine about why he seems doomed to third rate jobs without the training or skills to do the better paying jobs.

The manager at the airport used to have a trucking operation.  He always said the toughest were the big flat beds with large rolls of steel on board.  He had one come loose one day that almost killed him as it came forward into the rear of the cab as he stopped.  He knew what had happened and stopped very slowly.  He said if he either didn't know, or had to stop in a panic stop, he would likely be a goner.

He says there are more ways to get killed driving the big trucks than most people would ever dream of.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/08/10 at 16:24:15

Dang it I started my beard to late, next year I will start in June to get it long enough to be a department store Santa Clause. It is already the right colour. I wonder what that pays ?
It would just my luck to get a little brat on my lap that had just did a number in his or her pants.
I would give the parent a piece of coal and tell them to stick it up the kids bum.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/08/10 at 20:42:23

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/08/10 at 12:41:44:
And that kind of ridiculous comment adds to the discussion how?

It reinforces my opinion that work is the scourge of the riding class.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 11/10/10 at 15:31:07

mick wrote on 11/08/10 at 16:24:15:
Dang it I started my beard to late, next year I will start in June to get it long enough to be a department store Santa Clause. It is already the right colour. I wonder what that pays ?
It would just my luck to get a little brat on my lap that had just did a number in his or her pants.
I would give the parent a piece of coal and tell them to stick it up the kids bum.

Mick they could have used you as a model for Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa. That was one funny movie, I laughed my a$$ off  Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/10/10 at 18:00:25

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 11/16/10 at 19:49:39

"It just seems to me that slowly, far too slowly, things are coming back a little, and the mood I see among my friends, clients, etc. is a bit more upbeat.

At least investors are starting to think so.  The stock market as of the end of last week is about where it was before the Lehman Bros. collapse in late 2008, the event that seemed to accelerate the recession."

Hmm, so things are looking up a bit now. Yet people are mad as hell. So mad in fact that they elected Republicans again. The very people who's policies ruined the country and made them "mad as hell" in the first place.

Too bad stupid isn't painfull.  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:35:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Help Wanted signs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.