Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tachometer (Read 111 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Tachometer
11/07/10 at 10:06:48

I installed a $35.00 tach 2 years ago that picks up the signal from the spark plug. You just ground the thing and wrap the hot wire around the plug wire. It's all right, but... I am sure I saw someone on this web site with a real tach. The chrome job with a dial face. I saw some online, but the guy wrote back that the spark plug wire installation will not work, that the tach needs a signal. ?? Undecided Anyone have instructions? I didn't find anything in the tech section.  Sad

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tachometer
Reply #1 - 11/07/10 at 10:08:40

If it needs a signal, maybe hes talking about the connection at the coil?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 11/07/10 at 15:20:35

tach's are easy to put on.    Orange wire under the tank is switched power (for the tach and for the light blub).  The black wire (with a stripe) on the coil is the lead to run the tach.   You just need to find a nice spot to use as a ground.  I used the coil mount screw.

I have a thread in the tech/ref section which lists tach's that are known to work on LS650's.     I think it's now about 3 or 4 pages back.    ..... Now that no one is policing the Tech Ref section to move the questions people keep asking there (sorry the old Sarg in me made me say that)

I loved my tach.  Analog tach (tach with a moving needle) is the way to go.   I had it mounted up on the bars between the risers.   After a while I was using it as a speedo.   A certain RPM is a certain speed.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/07/10 at 15:45:38

A certain RPM is a certain speed.

in any given gear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/07/10 at 17:05:05

JOG if your in 4 gear your doing 4/5 of the speed of high gear and so on. Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print