Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LS 650 S40 engine rebuild/blueprinting shop (Read 793 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
LS 650 S40 engine rebuild/blueprinting shop
11/06/10 at 07:46:17

I would like to find a shop that knows all about engine rebuilds/hop-up for this motor.  

I have found a couple of bikes I want to buy that are pretty complete and would be good starts on some Savage-based projects, but the motors are questionable.  

My plan is to buy the bikes, then send the motors off to an expert shop for a rebuild and mild hop-up that might include boring for a DR650 Wiseco piston.  I want the transmission/clutch areas gone through as well.

Anyway, please let me know of a shop of craftsmen that can take a couple of tired motors and make them new again, possibly with a little more "thrust" than stock.

Thanks for any info,..

Bob

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LS 650 S40 engine rebuild/blueprinting shop
Reply #1 - 11/06/10 at 07:55:49

Most of us that hot rod our bikes do our own work.
I've only heard of a couple that have had shop work.
I'd look for an ATV racing shop as that was one of the places that was mentioned and it makes sense.
There's a place down in Temecula, but I've never had any work there.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/06/10 at 09:48:04

Have you considered, or, do you care, about the cost of that hired out labor?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/06/10 at 09:54:21

You can do everything you need to on this bike yourself witht he possible exception of a grade A head porting job, and even that can be significantly improved with the careful use of a dremel. If you pay labor for all you want done you'll end up paying 3x more for the work than the bike.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 11/06/10 at 18:50:04

Syd's over by St. Peterburgs FL. has a reputation of being able to rebuild and hop up just about any motorcycle engine that has been built. I've heard that they work on anything from early Vincents to bevel head Ducati's from the 50s and 60's. They can be expensive depending on what you want done. Don't know if they would be willing to work on a savage. Most of the mods here are DIY just because of the low cost and simplicity of the bike.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/06/10 at 19:38:10

Man, just mess with it. If you have to send the jug off to get it bored & coated, so whata? Do the wrenching & its gonna be fun & cost LOADS less.. Youll spend more than the value of the bike on getting an engine built. Possibly, even if you stayed stock,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 11/09/10 at 05:44:18

Thanks for the comments, gents, but I was hoping to find a place that had Savage 650 expertise, and a real zeal for these motors.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I am not afraid to tear and engine down, tidy it up, and put it back together again.  One of the things I have learned over the years is that are many more ways to do things wrong than to do them right.  One must know one's limits.

One of the things I have discovered in dealing with aircraft, hot rods, motorcycles, etc., is that for most types of machinery, there are always a few folks who have a particular interest in a particular niche, and over time they learn the cool things to do and the common blunders to avoid.

For example, there are a few places that specialize in taking old Triumph 650 twins and not just overhauling them, but using trick new parts, new metallurgy, seam sealing secrets, etc.  I could overhaul a motor like that and bring it back to original shape, but when one of these specialty shops does it, you have a "vintage" twin that will actually start reliably, run for 10,000 miles, have a little more power, and not leak.

I am hoping to find a guy (or a few guys) in a shop where they have a particular passion for these large Suzuki thumpers, and through long experience, know how to do a much better than average rebuild,... maybe even breathing on the motor a little.

I know it is a simple motor, and it is quite easy to take it apart, clean up the bore, new rings, do a valve job, replace any worn parts, and put it back together again.  If I did that, I would probably have a nice stock 650 thumper motor that will last a while.  Possibly, though, I might have made a common mistake that first-timers with this motor make.  Maybe I would have overlooked some easy things to do while I had it apart that knowledgeable Savage-fans know about.

That is all I am after here.  I just want to find someone who knows all about rebuilding and tweaking this motor.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 11/09/10 at 06:01:48

Sounds like the Clymer manual.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 11/09/10 at 06:13:06

The trouble with the "specialty shop" approach is the labor charge. Consensus seems to be that average labor charges run $80 - $85 per hour. I would expect a specialty shop to charge more than that. If for the sake of discussion we say $100 per hour, then twenty hours of labor will buy a late-model low-mileage bike, complete and running. Fifty hours of labor will buy a brand-new bike. I have no idea how many hours the flat-rate manual assigns to a teardown and rebuild, but learning that might be a good place to start.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/09/10 at 09:33:15

I dont think this bike/engine has created the mystique required for the formation of a cult following , performance seeking bunch of people. My guess is, you can find more distilled knowledge here than any shop you might find. Sounds like you have all the ability needed to do the work. Its a pretty brutal piece of machinery, not "fine" in its design, but, its fun. Partly as a result OF its lack of being so Fine in its design. Between the knowledge & experience & parts available thru these people & resources for getting things done to the engine( Bored jug & lined & availability of piston), you can do to it what is practical to do. I would expect it to not be affordable or wise to do more than what these guys know how to do.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/10/10 at 09:45:26

+1

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 11/10/10 at 11:20:03

WE ARE the cult following...  Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 11/10/10 at 13:13:55

My guess that since the Savage is still available new off the factory floor, and is considered a "beginner's" MC, there won't be any niche shops around. Any shop is either going to want to drop in a replacement engine on a major repair, or scrap the MC based on value and sell you something else. Most shops are not going to be "into" trying to tweak a beginner's MC that fully tweaked is probably going to be worth less than a new stock model. Right now a 86 Savage is mainly an old Savage, not that much different than a 2010 Savage. Maybe twenty years from now if they stop making them, but based on what they compare to in today's market, I really doubt it. I could be wrong, but without a time machine we won't know for quite a few years.

As I was told by a specialty shop - unfortunately out of business now -when I looked into seriously modifying my Savage into what I really wanted/needed: "you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Nothing wrong with a Savage, but let it be what it is."

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #13 - 11/10/10 at 16:30:58

mornhm - FSO wrote on 11/10/10 at 13:13:55:
My guess that since the Savage is still available new off the factory floor, and is considered a "beginner's" MC, there won't be any niche shops around. Any shop is either going to want to drop in a replacement engine on a major repair, or scrap the MC based on value and sell you something else. Most shops are not going to be "into" trying to tweak a beginner's MC that fully tweaked is probably going to be worth less than a new stock model. Right now a 86 Savage is mainly an old Savage, not that much different than a 2010 Savage. Maybe twenty years from now if they stop making them, but based on what they compare to in today's market, I really doubt it. I could be wrong, but without a time machine we won't know for quite a few years.

As I was told by a specialty shop - unfortunately out of business now -when I looked into seriously modifying my Savage into what I really wanted/needed: "you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Nothing wrong with a Savage, but let it be what it is."

Nicely put.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 11/13/10 at 05:46:36

BarneyBWilde wrote on 11/10/10 at 16:30:58:
mornhm - FSO wrote on 11/10/10 at 13:13:55:

Nicely put.

Yes, well put, but we don't ride a sows ear.
They are misinformed or without knowledge.
Most mod shops are use to playing with 100 + hp motors  looking to make 150 hp or something like that.
Their perception is totally wrong.
We are not after that much power, just a really nice running single for FUN RIDING.
Going from 25 rear wheel hp  on a stock LS650 to 40-50 hp is a nice jump, especially with the torque curve we get.  As noted on other threads the Savage, when perked up with a little work, is a great bike for those mountain roads.  It is light weight, has torque everywhere, and is great handling ...assuming of coure that tires, brakes, suspension, etc is in good order.  It is tough to beat on those roads and the FUN FACTOR is off the freaking charts.
Do a chain conversion and alter the ratio for easy road cruise, carving the mountains, or embarrassing the bigger bikes between stoplights.
It is easy to work with and cheap by comparison.

You want to have fun riding ? ? ?  
Just mod a Savage and clean the bugs out your teeth later !

YEEHA ! ! !  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS 650 S40 engine rebuild/blueprinting shop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.