Send Topic Print
Castenets (Read 488 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Castenets
Reply #15 - 11/04/10 at 16:53:59

When you jump from car to car you have to let it run a couple minutes, usually before you try to start the one that want start

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/06/10 at 10:42:46

Yup. Or just let the car idle. 14V is 14V.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 11/14/10 at 21:25:52

dasch wrote on 11/06/10 at 10:42:46:
Yup. Or just let the car idle. 14V is 14V.

FWIW....

I don't think that is good practice.  Too much could go wrong, potentially frying your bike's electrical system.

I'm just sayin'.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/14/10 at 21:57:23

In general, not a good practice, even car to car.  I've seen it happen several times where weeks later the donor needed a new battery too.

But, we all need a jump from time to time.  leave your key off so most of your electrics are isolated.  Don't fiddle with the cables, sparking bad mmmk.  Don't leave it connected more than 5 minutes to prevent overheating the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/15/10 at 05:16:14

?? If there was anything to fry in the receiving vehicle's system - you would've fried it with the original battery. Or you will fry it with donor shut off. Makes no difference to the receiver whether donor is idling or not. If anybody can scientifically prove me wrong...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 11/17/10 at 20:27:30

dasch wrote on 11/15/10 at 05:16:14:
?? If there was anything to fry in the receiving vehicle's system - you would've fried it with the original battery. Or you will fry it with donor shut off. Makes no difference to the receiver whether donor is idling or not. If anybody can scientifically prove me wrong...

No science, but it seems obvious that, by having the cage idling during a jump, you are exposing your bike's vulnerable electrics to the whims of the cage's voltage regulator (possible voltage spikes and such).  How lucky do you feel?

This is not a problem, however, if the cage is not running.  Ain't no way a quiescent 12 volt battery is going to harm your bike during a jump, even if that battery is as big as a house.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/18/10 at 05:23:19

Vulnerable?  Shocked

Cars have even more computers and controllers than our LS. Much more. The question is - what kind of selective spikes and surges would hurt my bike's CDI and leave entire car's electronics intact??

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 11/19/10 at 19:07:51

After a week, got back to Suzi only to note I never had reconnected the fuel lines...perhaps I should try again with them doing thier thing. Embarrassed Embarrassed  Put the jumpers on, with the car running i hit the starter and after cranking a bit with the pc on Prime, the bike started.   Yeah, let it idle a bit, then pushed in the  choke (enrichener).  Well, got a fair amount of smoke from around the header and then a drop of fresh oil fell on the left hand engine case.  Hmmm, turned off the car, disconnected the jumpers.  Next warmish day I'll try again and see if more oil is forthcomming.  Bikes' electroncis don't seem any worse the weare for the several jumpings.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/20/10 at 09:06:43

We happy if you happy.  Wink So you simply forgot to hook up the fuel, huh?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 11/21/10 at 16:44:17

Thank heavens there was no one to see my face.  we don't have any stop lights in town and it might have confused a passing driver. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 12/06/10 at 21:29:00

Digger wrote on 11/17/10 at 20:27:30:
dasch wrote on 11/15/10 at 05:16:14:

No science, but it seems obvious that, by having the cage idling during a jump, you are exposing your bike's vulnerable electrics to the whims of the cage's voltage regulator (possible voltage spikes and such).  How lucky do you feel?

This is not a problem, however, if the cage is not running.  Ain't no way a quiescent 12 volt battery is going to harm your bike during a jump, even if that battery is as big as a house.

dasch wrote on 11/18/10 at 05:23:19:
Vulnerable?  Shocked

Cars have even more computers and controllers than our LS. Much more. The question is - what kind of selective spikes and surges would hurt my bike's CDI and leave entire car's electronics intact??

Well.....case in point:

A few years ago, I was rat-racing through the Gulf area on my ST1100.  The battery was old, so I was not surprised that the bike would not start one hot day after a fill-up.

The only cage at the station was an old, beat up Ford pickup.....70's vintage.  I asked the old gentleman in the cab if he could give me a jump (I always carry a small set of jumper cables when I'm traveling on one of my bikes).

When he popped the hood, it was not a pretty sight.  I kindly asked the owner if he'd mind shutting off the engine while I jumped my bike.  The ST started right up, and I was not worried about the possibility of the Ford's voltage regulator being dodgy.

So, I see it this way:  If I take a jump from a running cage, there is perhaps a 1 in 10,000 possibility I'll have a problem.  If I take a jump from a non-running cage, there is a lesser chance that I'll have a problem.  The hassle factor of jumping from a non-running cage?  Zero.

Therefore, prudent risk analysis dictates that I jump my bikes from non-running cages.  There's just no reason NOT to, and there IS a reason (however small) to do it this way.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/07/10 at 06:02:42

I see your point... that old, old car was your only option. However, running car provides slightly more juice (amps). That's my only argument. And the way cars are built now, with computers and all - if there was ANY spikes - it wouldn't be running anyways  Cool

Anyhow, it worked.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 12/07/10 at 21:18:04

Therefore, prudent risk analysis dictates that I jump my bikes from non-running cages.  There's just no reason NOT to, and there IS a reason (however small) to do it this way.

I'd Love to see someone argue with that..

Anyone?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/07/10 at 23:56:11

Smiley You rascal...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home