Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock broken?  No...just running out of fuel LOL (Read 99 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Petcock broken?  No...just running out of fuel LOL
10/31/10 at 00:09:00

So, because this is my first bike, and I still don't know all the mechanics of how parts work, I've been kind of paranoid of breakdowns.  I got an '06 S-40, so it's still pretty new, and <5k miles on it.  However today, I noticed that the throttle would just die on me, and my engine would turn off.  My immediate thought was, "oh no, the petcock is failing.  ahhhhhh!".  So I remembered from reading some threads here, try turning to prime, and see if it runs better.  I tried it, and well, my bike ran fine after that.  Crap, I figured.

Well...tonight, while coming home, I noticed that my bike wasn't making any sloshing noise if I tilted it from side to side.  TURNS OUT I WAS OUT OF GAS.  Turning my petcock to prime worked because I was then using the reserve tank.  Sigh.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Lupo

Re: Petcock broken?  No...just running out of fuel
Reply #1 - 10/31/10 at 00:25:03

My two cents. Welcome to a new way of life and remember the top four rules. Don't be paranoid. Bikes break like everything else. They aren't cheaper then cars and in fact may cost more. Now the most important rule...bikes are more fun then sex. Welcome friend.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/31/10 at 00:42:50

Arh, arh, arh!...   Grin...
Newbies!....  
Sometimes they actually believe we're serious!...

Kid,... these bikes never really break down...
So,... we have to make stuff up...
Wink...

Welcome to the ,........................ fray... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 10/31/10 at 05:24:31

I was once told that a Rolls Royce doesn't break down...they just have "a failure to proceed". The 650 is the same way.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/31/10 at 06:37:47

Interesting.  I have never run my main tank dry as I fill up about every 100 miles.  This of course means, I have no idea just how far the main tank will really take me.

I really need to run it out at least once, just to get a clue.

Once while riding a 150 cc Chinese scooter, I brushed the key with my knee.  All the gauges went dead and it took a second to realize the scooter was still running.  I had no idea what happened until I glanced down at the key and saw it was halfway to OFF ...lol.

These things always make you feel stupid AFTER you figure them out.

Take care,

Hal

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 10/31/10 at 06:57:09

Don't let these guy get you all paranoid over the petcock ! Just don't let them !! Shocked

Howitzer wrote on 10/31/10 at 00:09:00:
So, because this is my first bike, and I still don't know all the mechanics of how parts work, I've been kind of paranoid of breakdowns.  I got an '06 S-40, so it's still pretty new, and <5k miles on it.  However today, I noticed that the throttle would just die on me, and my engine would turn off.  My immediate thought was, "oh no, the petcock is failing.  ahhhhhh!".  So I remembered from reading some threads here, try turning to prime, and see if it runs better.  I tried it, and well, my bike ran fine after that.  Crap, I figured.

Well...tonight, while coming home, I noticed that my bike wasn't making any sloshing noise if I tilted it from side to side.  TURNS OUT I WAS OUT OF GAS.  Turning my petcock to prime worked because I was then using the reserve tank.  Sigh.  Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 10/31/10 at 07:10:09

kingart3 wrote on 10/31/10 at 06:37:47:
Interesting.  I have never run my main tank dry as I fill up about every 100 miles.  This of course means, I have no idea just how far the main tank will really take me.

I really need to run it out at least once, just to get a clue.

I need to fill up all the way too.  I always just fill a little past when the gas pump shuts off by itself.  But I think that way, the gasoline isn't all the way to the highest fill point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/31/10 at 07:39:04

I like the idea of swinging the valve to prime or reserve every now & then, NOT when I need it, just to make sure the thing works okay & everythings gonna keep rolling when I Need reserve.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 10/31/10 at 19:26:36

JOG2, if +1 means I agree, then + 1. The difference in old folks and the youngn's is basically experience. And some of it is other's bad experience that we learn from. We do little things that take almost no thought and little time to PREVENT later problems. Like they say'"Good Judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment".

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 10/31/10 at 20:39:41

@Justin:  I guess it's good that I run the gas tank until reserve every time.  I'm checking the petcock every week or two then.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:23:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock broken?  No...just running out of fuel LOL

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.