Send Topic Print
Strike 2! (Read 263 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Strike 2!
10/30/10 at 15:11:14

Dropped Doc this afternoon.  Low speed, maybe 15, more likely 10-12.  Left hand turn coming off a light.  Came over a couple sets of railroad tracks, shifted to second and leaned left.  Something felt wrong with the rear tire, like it slid/skidded, or hung somehow.  I tried to brake, and of course, the bike stood up and I looked forward, locked up the brakes, and went down on the left side.  Couple drivers came over and helped me pick it up, and pushed it over to the side of the road.  There was fuel coming out of it as it lay on the ground, but stopped when I picked it up.

Windshield is in several pieces, home built highway pegs are bent back pretty bad.  My left knee is sore, and I don't think it has stopped swelling yet.  And I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt as bad as it will tomorrow,  but nothing (on me) is broken.   Doc started right up and I rode him home, but you better believe I was careful on the corners!

Got home and my super wife helped me ice my knee down for a while.  Then I got up and went out and took off all the broken or bent parts.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Strike 2!
Reply #1 - 10/30/10 at 16:31:57

Get some DMSO and learn how to use it safely.

Phelonius Cool

Phelonius
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #2 - 10/30/10 at 17:02:00

Ice-ice-ice-Glad you did not suffer more severe damage to self or bike. If no one saw it happen, then it didn't Wink. Heal fast---Luke

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/30/10 at 18:41:52

Pulsed Ice with alternating easy heat.
Study first aid, you need to know how its done by the pros.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #4 - 10/30/10 at 18:50:13

ice

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/30/10 at 18:54:00

... and don't forget the booze....  It don't help the pain, but who cares?... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/30/10 at 19:24:15

I've had that funny feeling with the rear tire on several occasions. Maybe because it's near bald?

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/31/10 at 04:02:18

drums1 wrote on 10/30/10 at 19:24:15:
I've had that funny feeling with the rear tire on several occasions. Maybe because it's near bald?

When I can bend my knee a little better, that's one of the things I am going to check.  That and the pressure.  The tires only have about 7k on them, but I'm going to take a close look.

I'm curious about where the spilling fuel was coming from. It was not out of the cap, but somewhere near the back of the tank.  Nothing leaking after I got it vertical, so no torn or displaced fuel line.  Just pouring out of the carb?

Still trying to go through exactly what happened.  Got some rash on the top of my knee, with no corresponding hole in my jeans, and I don't remember the top of my knee hitting the ground. Just weird, I'll probably never know exactly how I went down.  But at least I was able to get back up. Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/31/10 at 05:48:32

So glad you dodged any majory injury !

If your bike has the OEM vacuum petcock, and the engine died, only a carb bowl full of gas would drain out, if all was working correctly.

When I went down on the left side, (walking speed while turning on gravel) some gas was running out too, but this was one time the vacuum petcock did not help me one bit, because the engine kept idling,......and the worst part....it was in gear, (I didn't notice the rear wheel spinning) so when I picked it up, it tried to take off w/ me hanging on for dear life, (don't laugh!) but thankfully the idling engine then chugged to a stop,.....I'd guess because of the load placed on it from picking it up and trying to hold it back. No one saw this, thank God !

Heres what I think I learned,
1- Don't even touch the front brake while making a u-turn going downhill on gravel !!
2- If the engine is still running, (I was an idiot) hit the red panic switch before anything else !!  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/31/10 at 06:32:25

I wonder if the back tire simply slipped out from under you crossing one of the metal rails?  I live in Florida and there seems to be an endless list of "slick stuff" to slide around on here.  The most common is sand on the road (think ball bearings), but we get oil, wet muddy spots, oh yeah and an a favorite of mine, the painted lines and arrows on the roadway.  Those are amazingly slick if wet.

I am glad to hear you are not too badly hurt.  

As far as I can tell everyone drops their bike from time to time, just try to ...put the next one off... for a while...LOL.

Thanks for letting us know.  I will add it to my list "railroad  tracks bad, bad, bad...".

-Hal

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/31/10 at 07:44:04

A painted stripe, some tar, like on a repaired crack, lots of things Could be the bad guy.
Id go have a look at where it was & rehash it mentally.

If its just after a dip or bump, then thats where oil is gonna land on the road, because its during dips & bumps where oil droplets get knocked off of cars.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 10/31/10 at 20:14:25

Glad to hear your knee is feeling better. Take it easy for a couple days. Keep the ice on it as well as elevated.
Eat some chocolate.. Yes it helps.. Ok well pretend it does.
Get back in the saddle as soon as you can.. Smiley  kim Kiss

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/01/10 at 03:35:31

Well, I rode to work this morning.  Knee is still a little sore, and the road rash on the top is a pain when the denim moves on it.  I found myself driving a little timidly, particularly in the turns.  I'll give it some more time and see if the knee starts to feel a little less stiff.

BTW, checked the rear tire, air pressure was right on and there is plenty of tread, so I still don't know what the he11 went wrong.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 11/01/10 at 05:43:41

Now that's what I call getting back in the saddle!  Good for you!!  Glad you are ok.

As far as the scrape on your knee, if you put a band-aid on it, it might help keep your jeans from irritating it.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/01/10 at 06:46:15

Ive had some skin removed before. I get mew tee shirts, wash them, some Americaine (20% benzocaine spray) & treat the area, then cut sections of shirt & protect the raw areas from clothing that shifts about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strike 2!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.