Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ticking in top end...anyone.  progressive valve? (Read 273 times)
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ticking in top end...anyone.  progressive valve?
10/27/10 at 17:12:46

So I took the bride of frankenstein out tonight.  there is a large amount of ticking in the top end...?  when we rebuilt the heads I didn't realize that the valve springs were progressive.  So we put it together and then read the manual only to find out that hey, what do ya know.  So I have adjusted the valves twice.  and it sounds like its coming from the exhaust side.  but, dont know.  anyone know what a motor sounds like if you install the valve springs backwards?  other than that the jetting is great.  I'll take it to work tommarrow and see what the ega says.  foreman said I could teach one of the techs how to use the dyno using my bike.  Stupid Harley Technicians.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: ticking in top end...anyone.  progressive valv
Reply #1 - 10/27/10 at 17:25:16

Personally, I think its kinda naturally ticky.  Hopefully you get a better answer from someone else.....  Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/27/10 at 17:29:18

ebonysresearch wrote on 10/27/10 at 17:12:46:
So I took the bride of frankenstein out tonight.  there is a large amount of ticking in the top end...?  when we rebuilt the heads I didn't realize that the valve springs were progressive.  So we put it together and then read the manual only to find out that hey, what do ya know.  So I have adjusted the valves twice.  and it sounds like its coming from the exhaust side.  but, dont know.  anyone know what a motor sounds like if you install the valve springs backwards?  other than that the jetting is great.  I'll take it to work tommarrow and see what the ega says.  foreman said I could teach one of the techs how to use the dyno using my bike.  Stupid Harley Technicians.  

Yeah, instead of sounding putt putt putt, it goes ttup ttup ttup.
You did of course put the same springs back on the same valves, right?

Phelonius

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #3 - 10/27/10 at 20:39:48

Me and my buddy mike have the same tick. i dont mind it, i adds character to it lol

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #4 - 10/27/10 at 20:46:27

When adjusting the fork ( Y )  type rocker you should use two feeler (gap) gauges to allow for the sideways rocking of the rocker on the shaft. One under each adjuster ( did that make sense? ). I don't know if that's your specific problem but it is the correct way to adjust the LS type rocker.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #5 - 10/27/10 at 20:47:10

ncron1103 wrote on 10/27/10 at 20:39:48:
Me and my buddy mike have the same tick. i dont mind it, i adds character to it lol

Loud valves save lives Smiley

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #6 - 10/27/10 at 21:10:56

yes they do. lol everyone of my buddies are like when are you going to adjust those valve. i just tell them when it blows up. i just adjusted them 2 weeks ago and they still think its the valves. i was thinking it could be the decompression piece over the valves touching it when they come back up but didnt see any scaring from it hitting.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/27/10 at 21:17:31

Those blasted progressives anyway..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #8 - 10/27/10 at 21:48:31

ncron, adjust your valves only with a stone cold engine, like first thing in the morning (evening if your a vampire). Two feelers so the tension is the same on both adjusters. .005" intake  .008" exhaust. This is a shorter lift and shortens the duration.Seems weird but the warm engine will be quieter and rev higher. I go for a tight drag on the feeler pull. My engines ( Guzzi, Honda and Suzi) run strong and the valve noise is moderate. Just my two cents, cha ching. Wink

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #9 - 10/28/10 at 00:29:39

I did .005 and .008 on them it revs high and wants to pull harder than my friends 87 vag. its running good for me

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 10/28/10 at 03:59:39

Hmmmmm  I sort of recall it's .003 to .005.....   Huh

Old timer taught me this.   Pick the feeler gauge in the middle of the spec.  Finger tight the adjuster.  Then hold it in place while tightening the lock nut.  You'll get the lower spec number.  Reason, as you torque the lock nut it changes the adjuster just a tiny bit.  After a little practice, it makes valve adjustment very quick.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/28/10 at 04:53:25

hmmm..they are sitting at about .003.  fit it to .oo5 and then tightened.  ended up at where a .oo3 fits and feels good when pulling out the .oo3.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 10/28/10 at 05:35:47

Wow, sounds like we're tuning a piano !
Makes me glad mine never seem to need adjusting.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/28/10 at 17:25:24

Adjusted the compression release back a bit and it took some of the ticking away...though it is still there.  we'll see after I get an ega reading.  didn't have time at work to put it on the dyno.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/28/10 at 19:45:49

Mine ticks alot too. Although it seems louder on the left side. Not sure why.....seems to run ok.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:30:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ticking in top end...anyone.  progressive valve?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.