Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is criteria for changing the spark plug? (Read 142 times)
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What is criteria for changing the spark plug?
10/22/10 at 09:26:29

Hey - i like to ride but am mechanically challenged.  09 s40 running well with 8200 miles on it.  Here's the question - bike mechanic pulled original plug at 6,200 miles and didn't replace it - said it was still good to go.  How do I know if and when I need to replace the original plug?

(the related issue here is i'm getting poorer by the day, so can no longer really afford said mechanic's service...did replace the oil and filter last week for a total cost of about $10 which is a fraction of what the shop charges so I probably need to learn to do basic maintenance on this bike if I'm going to keep riding it...)

thanks for the great input this forum provides...ciao...csr

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: What is criteria for changing the spark plug?
Reply #1 - 10/22/10 at 09:30:47

As long as its running good I wouldn't worry about changing the plug,Plugs last a long time in cars should last long in motorcycle as long as your not to rich or lean.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 10/22/10 at 10:07:25

Agree, if there's not a carb problem they will last a long time. These bikes are not very difficult to work on, but if you have to take it to the shop for even the small items it will become a very expensive bike.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 10/22/10 at 10:31:11

This should give you an idea what to look for.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/22/10 at 10:47:10

At a buck n' half a pop,... I change plugs every 10k whether it needs it or not...
Big spender, heh?.. Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 10/22/10 at 11:31:04

Serowbot wrote on 10/22/10 at 10:47:10:
At a buck n' half a pop,... I change plugs every 10k whether it needs it or not...
Big spender, heh?.. Huh...

Dammit man, where were you when I was single?   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 10/22/10 at 14:44:33

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/22/10 at 10:31:11:
This should give you an idea what to look for.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

that be a good post for the tech section  Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #7 - 10/22/10 at 16:50:34

I agree with Bill these plugs should last a long time.  But I also agree with Serowbot for 2 bucks or less a piece I change the plug every time I pull the tank to adjust the valves. You'll save a ton of money working on this bike yourself,It's easier than any other bike I've had. Use some of that money to buy good oil and a few sparkplugs.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/22/10 at 17:37:38

That 3rd one from the bottom on the left looks like dirt injestion to me,.....kinda like when running a K&N window screen type filter. Shocked

And that how they looked when the Kohler Engine field Rep would void the warranty on an in warranty walker mower.... because of dirt injestion. And the underside of the valves would look the same way. And we would usually find a defective aircleaner, or most times installed incorrectly.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 10/23/10 at 12:46:10

I think carlos' deeper question is "How much trouble is it to change?" This bunch has been griping about changing the plug for so long the Nubies are scared to death. Carlos, get out the digital camera and take pics of where the hoses go on the carb. The rest is fairly simple, if not really easy. I take the tank off with fuel in it, but you probably want to drain it first. Set a gas can on a block or sumpthin' and run the fuel hose in there and put it on prime. And take the cap off the tank. And get a Clymers manual. Be patient and write it down and read it back as you put stuff on. Any way you want to depending on your confidence. And do this on a cool engine to keep from stripping the threads. Put the new plug in just snug. I'm sure others have other ideas how to do this, too. I think we should gripe about the bad design instead of the difficulty. But we don't gripe about the things we love. Oh, I forgot...all together class...begin by removing the seat. All Savage work begins by removing the seat.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:26:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is criteria for changing the spark plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.