Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chain vs. Belt (Read 438 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Chain vs. Belt
Reply #15 - 10/22/10 at 19:31:54

Shaft drives are usually thought to be less efficient, because of the two 90-degree direction changes required. One at the front, from the transverse engine and transmission to the drive shaft, and one at the back from the longitudinal drive shaft to the rear wheel. Bikes with longitudinal crankshafts and transmissions, such as BMW, Moto Guzzi, Gold Wings, and others have only one directional change so lose less efficiency.

Shaft drive bikes have another quirk called "shaft jacking." When power is applied the rear of the bike tends to rise, or "jack." When power is cut, the rear tends to squat. With chain or belt drive, power application tends to make the rear squat. The problem is more noticeable with higher power. Either system can be so engineered as to eliminate the effects, but the suspension becomes more intricate and costly. It seems a minor point, but consider the case when one is leaned over in a corner and parts start to drag. Reducing the power by closing the throttle is one of the natural reactions. With a chain the rear tends to rise, and the dragging is reduced. With a shaft reducing the power makes the rear drop and actually makes the dragging worse.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #16 - 10/22/10 at 21:24:09

I've found the shaft drive on the c50 works well. Quiet, smooth and  low maint. I was aware of the torque issues with a shaft drive when I got the the bike. Fortunately i haven't noticed any issues on accel or decel or cornering. I'm sure the the issue is there but I guess I don't romp on it hard enough to make it an issue.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #17 - 10/22/10 at 23:08:41

« Last Edit: 11/23/10 at 06:51:54 by Lupo »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 10/22/10 at 23:17:08

Lupo wrote on 10/22/10 at 23:08:41:
Maintenance? Same as a car dummies, think about it! Grease the U-joints and keep the splines greased. Rear drive is like ( is ) a cars rear drive. Change the gear oil every few years.

You supposed to change that?...
My cars 16 years old!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #19 - 10/23/10 at 02:17:09

www.scootworks.com manufactures and markets belt drive conversion kits for many chain driven Cruisers and Standards such as the VZ800 Marauder, EN500 & VN800 Vulcans, VLX600 Shadow, VT750 Shadow Ace & Spirit and Triumph Bonneville.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/23/10 at 06:49:59

Skid Mark wrote on 10/22/10 at 21:24:09:
I've found the shaft drive on the c50 works well. Quiet, smooth and  low maint. I was aware of the torque issues with a shaft drive when I got the the bike. Fortunately i haven't noticed any issues on accel or decel or cornering. I'm sure the the issue is there but I guess I don't romp on it hard enough to make it an issue.

You will not have the torque issues on your C-50.
Torque issues are from engines with the crankshaft running lengthwise to the frame, such as BMW and Motoguzzi.  Your machine with its' crankshaft oriented crosswise to the frame delivers power through a bevel drive to the shaft then through a second bevel drive to the wheel.
This effectively cancels out the torque on acceleration or deceleration that can impart a side force to the rear wheel.  I have owned 4 BMWs and Two Guzzis and three Jap bikes with bevel drives so I speak from experience with both systems.
The downside of the double bevel drive is that it wastes more power than any other system. This is particularly noticeable on bikes of less than 1000cc. Since it takes about the same power wastage to go through a bevel drive, the larger engines are not as noticeable except when racing.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #21 - 11/22/10 at 21:27:01

I just hate the looks of big ass rear pulleys. They look like they came from an industrial HVAC system or something. They look bulky -- I like my bikes to look lean. I customize by removing stuff.

And, to me, a chain says I'm a real motorcyclist, not some poser dilettante who doesn't know how to fix his bike, who just got into because it's the current cool thing. Woo-hoo, look at me! I'm like "American Chopper!" Sure, many real motorcyclists like belt drive. Fine, but I don't.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #22 - 11/23/10 at 02:48:54

i had a chain drive on my gn400  it was a chain strecher in the twenty years i rode it did probably 7 chains.  good ones, cheep ones, all the same   to much torque.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 11/23/10 at 05:30:44

My wifes GN400 had 25000 miles when traded in with original chain but I had it geared 2 teeth on front gear higher.My Suzuki 1500 only shows the drive shaft reaction in low gear,lifts rear of bike  on hard acceleration.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #24 - 11/23/10 at 10:21:00

I think "real motorcyclists" don't sit around worrying about what their chain or belt "says about them". Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #25 - 11/23/10 at 12:12:05

Ah, but if you only knew what your belt or chain was saying about you when you're not around. They're real blabbermouths and liars.  Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #26 - 11/23/10 at 15:15:11

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/23/10 at 12:12:05:
Ah, but if you only knew what your belt or chain was saying about you when you're not around. They're real blabbermouths and liars.  Grin

i caught my old gn talking $hit to a honda one day, just kinda snuck up on them.  he sure had a potty mouth. Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 21:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain vs. Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.