Chain vs. Belt (Read 437 times)
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Chain vs. Belt
10/22/10 at 07:21:57

I was reading a post about squeaking from the belt and saw someone say it was because the bike wants to be chain driven. Later someone said to get used it, it still beats chain driven anyway. I didn't want to hi-jack that post but can anyone tell me the pros and cons of chain driven and belt driven bikes? Thanks!

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Chain vs. Belt
Reply #1 - 10/22/10 at 08:20:46

you can change gear ratios with chains...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/22/10 at 08:58:14

And that is the only advantage,........
oops,.....and maybe it won't squeak either.

I used to think a chain was more effecient,....but come to find out, that is not necessarily true either. But just thinking about the maintainence of a chain drive, after having the belt,.......perish the thought !

Actually what I meant is, get used to it squeaking once in a while. Mine doesn't squeak much, except for a 1/2 mile in cold weather. But now that I know what it is, I don't hear it till someone talks about it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 10/22/10 at 09:18:40

I should also add that my belt used to squeak but I aligned the rear wheel and it stopped...I once put some parafin wax on it...that also stopped it.
I'll take the belt over a chain just because there is no need for me to change out my gear ratios and there is basically zero maintenance involved.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 10/22/10 at 09:28:27

What about shaft drive?  The bigger Suzuki cruisers are shaft driven.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 10/22/10 at 10:05:27

When I replaced my rear tire I had it slightly out of alignment and it squeaked like crazy on my first test run. Propped it back up and realigned it a little more and haven't heard from it since. Just yesterday I started hearing my front brake squeak though. Will have to jump on that one and swap out the pads with the new ones I have sitting on the shelf.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/22/10 at 10:57:46

Chain...
- easy final ratio changes
- less prone to damage from foreign objects
- more weight
- dirty
- shorter life

Belt...
- longevity
- light weight
- clean
- low maintenance
- prone to rock damage
- fixed final gear ratio

Shaft
- low maintenance
- clean
- heavey
- fixed final drive ratio
- expensive (a friend just got a $700.00 repair estimate on his V-Star 650 shaft drive)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #7 - 10/22/10 at 11:09:51

I've got almost 30,000 miles on the original chain and sprockets on my Bandit. With care chains can last a long time. I installed a Loobman manual chain oiler (http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/) after the first 500 miles when it became obvious to me that lubing was a core. Cost about $30.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/22/10 at 11:17:12

Serrowbot, above you say that a chain drive is heavier than a belt drive.
The chain may out weigh the belt but compare the weight of both sprockets to the weight of both belt pullys.
The chain system is lighter over all.
I found myself adjusting the chain less often than adjusting tha belt trying to eliminate squeek.  I could eliminate it but it always came back in a day or so.
I believe one of the problems with the belt drive is the single bearing that the rear pulley rides on.  It allows the pully to change angle without the wheel changing angle.  This is the primary source of belt squeek.
With a chain this slight change of angle makes no problem.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #9 - 10/22/10 at 12:30:44

Forgive me because I'm fairly new to riding, but with the easy to change gears of the chain driven you can adjust your power band the way you want right? For more low end excel or top end speed?  I don't have any squeek on my bike except when it rains but it goes away after a couple minutes. I like how low maintanence the belt is too. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the only good reason to switch to a belt would be if your going to put some major performance mods like a new cam and carb right?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/22/10 at 12:38:58

I think most people do it, to get a lower rpm cruise at 70+ mph...

I like to plonk along at under 60, so it's of no use to me...

... but, everything has a price... gearing for lower rpm at cruise, gives a taller 1st and 2nd too... this will eat into acceleration times, and can make 2-up take-offs require expert clutch work...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/22/10 at 12:57:48

I believe a shaft drive is by far the least efficient of any drive.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #12 - 10/22/10 at 17:03:16

My 2 cents for what it's worth I can't think of a single reason to change this bike from belt to chain. In fact I  don't want a chain on anything but a dirt bike. My current "big" bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT which I picked over the otherwise great C50T or C90T because the Kawasaki has a belt.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 10/22/10 at 18:09:15

The belts can squeak, but chains tend to be noisy, too. In theory, a broken chain can be repaired alongside the road, if you have the parts and tools to do the job. But I have seen a broken engine case caused by a broken chain, and stories exist about rear wheels locking up caused by a broken or derailed chain.

Changing ratios is easier with chain drive because sprockets with different numbers of teeth are easier to get than different pulleys. But if you make much of a change the chain ends up too long or too short and has to be modified. Front sprocket changes are often limited by either swing arm clearance(chain drags on the swingarm) or engine case clearance, so you can't really go much bigger or smaller.

Shaft drives require maintenance, too. Usually there is a spline joint at the rear wheel, and it requires moly grease whenever the rear wheel is removed and replaced. I seem to remember reading about some bikes that failed in the Iron Butt Rally because those splines wore to the point that the drive spun in the wheel. I can't be sure, but the ST1100 comes to mind. And of course, the lube in the final drive needs to be changed every so often.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #14 - 10/22/10 at 18:51:10

Interesting thread, especially since I just got my C50.  I always thought shaft drive was more efficient, but I may be wrong.  

Jive

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 15:44:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain vs. Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.