Iridium (Read 179 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Iridium
10/17/10 at 10:08:45

I've just read on the SR500 forum that a guy fitted a pair of iridium plugs to a XS650 and gained 2 hp on the dyno, this is the first time I've seen anyone put numbers on it.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Iridium
Reply #1 - 10/17/10 at 10:29:12

... did he have bad plugs to start with?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 10/17/10 at 10:37:07

New std plugs on the dyno then put the guy's old iridiums in and gained 2hp.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/17/10 at 10:38:12

It's a known fact that it takes less voltage to fire the iridum's.
could be that his compression was high enough to cause the standard plugs to miss.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 10/17/10 at 16:32:49

I had one in my Savage, and I put 4 in my Miata,I could actualy feel the diference with the bike,not so much with the car,maybe I didn't have the car long enough to notice any difference. I just knew I liked them so I put them in as soon as I got it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/18/10 at 01:00:53

I also think I feel a difference in performance on my savage with a iridium plug. Not much but it feels like it runs a bit stronger.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - 10/18/10 at 04:58:03

Mick -

Did you get rid of the Miata?  I saw one in a parking lot yesterday, and looked it over very carefully - kinda interesting.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 10/18/10 at 15:16:16

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 10/18/10 at 04:58:03:
Mick -

Did you get rid of the Miata?  I saw one in a parking lot yesterday, and looked it over very carefully - kinda interesting.

in what way was it interesting ? and it was not mine,you will know mine by the spotlesness,you will not see a speck of dirt on it.
Before you gaze upon it be sure to wear your sunglasses.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 10/19/10 at 06:35:28

Mick -

As I think I've said before, I've always been in love with the Brit sports cars of the 1050s and 60s.  I've owned an AH Sprite, Jag 150, TR-3, Sunbeam Alpine, and an MGA.

Recently I was thinking about getting either another TR-3, maybe an MGB, or maybe an Alfa Spider.

Then I came to my senses and realized that I don't have all week to work on a 50 year old car just to drive it on Sat. or Sun.

While I'm basically not a fan of many Japanese cars, since most of them are so commonly boring, the Miata looks interesting because it appears to have a lot of the flair of the old Brit cars, coupled with modern reliability and some creature comforts like a top that doesn't leak in droves, roll up windows that actually do roll up, and air conditioning.

Do they have cruise control?

What do you know about the various years, the differences, any things to avoid - those sorts of questions?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 10/19/10 at 07:28:46

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 10/19/10 at 06:35:28:
Mick -

As I think I've said before, I've always been in love with the Brit sports cars of the 1050s and 60s.  I've owned an AH Sprite, Jag 150, TR-3, Sunbeam Alpine, and an MGA.

Recently I was thinking about getting either another TR-3, maybe an MGB, or maybe an Alfa Spider.

Then I came to my senses and realized that I don't have all week to work on a 50 year old car just to drive it on Sat. or Sun.

While I'm basically not a fan of many Japanese cars, since most of them are so commonly boring, the Miata looks interesting because it appears to have a lot of the flair of the old Brit cars, coupled with modern reliability and some creature comforts like a top that doesn't leak in droves, roll up windows that actually do roll up, and air conditioning.

Do they have cruise control?

What do you know about the various years, the differences, any things to avoid - those sorts of questions?

In a way Jerry they are very much like the old brit sports car except much more reliable, mine is a 93 I think in 98 they put a slightly bigger engine mine is 1.6 later ones have 1.8,they do have timing belts that must me taken care of at 50.000 miles, but unlike other cars if the timing belt snaps it's not the end of the world,Every time I go out for a drive I love that car more and more, and how many times do people just go out for a drive ?, I have to invent places I need to go.
And it handles like a dream,like sh1t to a blanket,I can honestly say it's the best car I have ever owned,I would get a new one if I had the money,meanwhile the one I have is perfect.If you can swing a new one that would be great, might be better off getting a late model used
even so if I had the money ,a new one it would be.
BTW there are all kinds of Miata clubs if you are into that kind of thing ,rally's and so forth,not my cup of tea but they are out there.
Hope that helps, Mick

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 10/19/10 at 08:14:17

Mick -

Do Miatas have cruise control as standard?  I'm addicted to it - I can't imagine driving any distance nowadays with my foot on the throttle pedal.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/19/10 at 08:58:57

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 10/19/10 at 08:14:17:
Mick -

Do Miatas have cruise control as standard?  I'm addicted to it - I can't imagine driving any distance nowadays with my foot on the throttle pedal.

I don't know if it's standard ,mine has it. and 5 speed manual is the norm,if you want automatic it's extra, If I remember you like stick shift right ?

mickrowe37   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 10/19/10 at 09:13:18

A pal of mine replaced the standard plugs in his H.D. Road King with iridium plugs and was favorably impressed with the increase in fuel milage.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #13 - 10/19/10 at 10:09:28

Mick -

Yes, in fact, I won't drive an automatic; I hate them.  I prefer to control the engine rpm where I want it to be.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/19/10 at 10:27:55

I have iridium plugs in my Suzuki S 50, put them in cause it was a pain to start originally, now I'm no sure it was worth it, I think being hard to start is just a part of this bike, especially when it's cold (below 70 degrees  Tongue )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:20:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Iridium

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.