ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Battery?
Reply #15 - 10/23/10 at 09:08:25

Quote:
To me riding to work on the same road every day is not really enjoyable riding.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/23/10 at 08:42:15:
IMO, riding to work is just a way to try to make going to work more fun.Or less painful, maybe?

Barring accidents... the worst day riding is better then the best day driving.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 10/23/10 at 20:39:25

Routy wrote on 10/23/10 at 05:20:28:
Agreed,......if you have only 1 pc of test equipment, it should probably be a 12v test lite. But if you have 2, the 2nd should be the cheaper 50 amp load tester, because it will test the batteries in bikes, all your cars and trucks, and even those little jump starters,.......even my 12v lawn mower.....

Hi Rout,

I looked at those 50 amp load testers, but questioned their utility.

The load test procedures I've seen say you should apply a load equal to 1/2 the battery's spec CCA figure for 15 sec, while continuously measuring the battery's voltage.

As the battery I currently have in my Savage (a mx-free Interstate) is rated at 190 CCA, you'd need to load test it at 95 amps.....something the 50 amp tester is unable to do.

Or, at least I thought.  How would you go about doing a load test on a 190 CCA battery using a 50 amp load tester?

Curious.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 10/23/10 at 20:45:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/23/10 at 05:39:50:

Or, you can charge it or jump it to get it started then volt/ohm test the charging voltage on the bike with the old battery in place just to see if your regulator/rectifier is actually working correctly, and if it tests good on charging voltage then simply pop the bucks for a replacement battery as it is SAME COST OR CHEAPER than that big arsed load tester.

(if you pick the new battery up at Wal Mart that is)......

Old,

One reason I like load testing my batteries is because I've found that a properly run load test will implicate a bad battery BEFORE I can detect that it is going bad.  I guess this is because all of my bikes start quickly enough so as not to stress their batteries.

I like to load test a battery before I go on a long trip.  Then, I'm reasonably certain that the battery won't crap out on me 2000 miles from home.

BTDT!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 10/24/10 at 06:23:19

Digger Quote:
How would you go about doing a load test on a 190 CCA battery using a 50 amp load tester?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
About the same way as using a 100 amp, except hold it for 30 seconds instead of 15, and use a 10.5 min voltage instead of 9.5. This has never failed to find a bad battery. If it passes a 50 amp test at double time, you can bet it will pass 100 amp at 1/2 the time. If not, I have never found the time.

The advantage of a 50 amp (price?) is that "one fits all".... it can also be more safely used on smaller batteries that don't have.....and are not designed to put out  hi CC amps, such as smaller bikes, and like my 12/24 volt mower, and my battery powered P/A music amplifiers.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 10/24/10 at 20:58:17

Routy wrote on 10/24/10 at 06:23:19:
Digger Quote:
How would you go about doing a load test on a 190 CCA battery using a 50 amp load tester?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
About the same way as using a 100 amp, except hold it for 30 seconds instead of 15, and use a 10.5 min voltage instead of 9.5. This has never failed to find a bad battery. If it passes a 50 amp test at double time, you can bet it will pass 100 amp at 1/2 the time. If not, I have never found the time.

The advantage of a 50 amp (price?) is that "one fits all".... it can also be more safely used on smaller batteries that don't have.....and are not designed to put out  hi CC amps, such as smaller bikes, and like my 12/24 volt mower, and my battery powered P/A music amplifiers.

Rout,

Good stuff.  Is the 10.5 volts good for all temps?  The reason I ask is that I've sometimes had to do load tests when the battery case temps were pretty low, like in the low 30's F.

Also, is there a reference for the modified load testing technique so's I could bone up on it a little?  Sounds as if it might be a little easier on the battery than the standard load test.

TIA!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #20 - 10/25/10 at 00:49:13

Battery Guide
Motorcycle Battery Maintenace Tips to keep your motorcycle at peak condition.
Motorcycle maintenance is more than doing maintenance on your motorcycle because you have to do it now or it is time to do it right away. On going general maintenance will keep your motorcycle in great condition with little or no unpleasant surprises on the road.

Typical Motorcycle Battery
Typical Motorcycle Battery

Motorcycle Battery Maintenance

Tip: There are dozens of parts on a motorcycle that could be checked on a regular basis and there is nothing wrong with check all those parts. But try to slim the list down to the most important items so you still have time to ride.

The Battery

THE BASICS

First things first. A 12-volt battery is not a 12-volt battery. Twelve volts is just a nominal, convenient term used to distinguish one battery from another. A fully-charged 12-volt battery, allowed to "rest" for a few hours (or days) with no load being drawn from it (or charge going to it), will balance out its charge and measure about 12.6 volts between terminals.

When a battery reads only 12 volts under the above conditions, it's almost fully depleted. Actually, if a battery's resting voltage is only 12.0 to 12.1 it means only 20 to 25% of its useful energy remains. It's either a goner or it has been deep cycled, and a battery can only be deep-cycled a limited number of times before it is indeed dead.

12-volt batteries supply useful energy only through a limited range -- from over 14 volts (when fully charged and unrested) down to 10.5 volts in use/under load (when lights dim, your motorcycle is hard to start). No 12-volt battery will remain at over 14 volts for more than seconds unless it's being charged. The lowest limit is 10.5 volts (used in testing) and obviously unsatisfactory in practical use.

This is the full page. Very good info.http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery.htm

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 10/25/10 at 05:14:04

Dig,
I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what a batt test would show at 32 degrees, because I be huggin a heater somewhere or in the coffee shop telling bike/fish lies ! Grin
We all know cold temps  make a difference,....but I never get that tech-ie about stuff. Most all the general info I give here comes from my many years in automotive shops, and a few years in a commercial mower shop, where we tested and sold lots of batteries.
Being as you mentioned it, I never did like heavy-load testing a battery, or loading it much more than the starter draws, it just don't seem necessary,.....or good for a battery. But over the years we probably all develope our own ideas from our own experience, and that doesn't always agree w/ the "websites supposedly Gospel"
My main battery motto,........
Keep it as fully charged as possible at all times, and it will last an unbelieable long length of time. And that means when its not being used often, its on a float voltage of 13.4 max in warm weather, and 13.8-14.0 in cold weather.
Digger wrote on 10/24/10 at 20:58:17:
Routy wrote on 10/24/10 at 06:23:19:
Digger Quote:
--

Rout,

Good stuff.  Is the 10.5 volts good for all temps?  The reason I ask is that I've sometimes had to do load tests when the battery case temps were pretty low, like in the low 30's F.

Also, is there a reference for the modified load testing technique so's I could bone up on it a little?  Sounds as if it might be a little easier on the battery than the standard load test.

TIA!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #22 - 10/25/10 at 21:04:40

[quote author=48656B6B697E0C0 link=1287167340/15#19 date=1287979097]Routy wrote on 10/24/10 at 06:23:19:
Digger Quote:
--
Rout,

TIA!

Cold Cranking Amps is the measure of a new battery fully charged producing no less than 7.2 volts at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds under load.
Cranking amps are tested the same way at 32 degrees F. A battery less than 40 degrees F loses about 30% of its power, but it usually has enough energy to crank engines in good tune with a working choke or fuel injection. Those of us who remember 50s era vehicles with 6 volt systems probably remember the "ritual" for cranking their vehicles in cold weather. I remember taking batteries inside on cold nights. We got it good nowadays.  Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 10/26/10 at 03:00:47

The trick in cold weather is to turn on the ignition for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds then start it,that first turn on for 30 seconds warms up the battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:17:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.