no spark (Read 93 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
no spark
10/15/10 at 07:47:40

Still trying to get the 97 to (at the very least) turn over. I've read Arnold's "bike won't start" thread and it sounds similar to my situation. Because I'm totally lame at all things electrical I'm struggling.

Anyway, I pulled the tank off, unclipped all the straps holding the wiring on just so I could get to stuff, checked all the connections, checked to make sure the solenoid and decomp were working (they seemed to, the solenoid popped out and the decomp lever moved anyway), then I pulled the plug, grounded it against the engine fins, pulled the clutch in and had my 8 year old daughter hit the starter....no spark...
I've also tried to pop start it and nothing which makes sense because I can't even get a spark...Battery is good...
If I can get a spark I'm thinking it will run...maybe not well but then I can start on some other issues it has mainly that there is an oil leak in the head and one of the bolts holding the head cover on is stripped and will probably need to be helicoiled.
suggestions and pictures describing step-by-step would be welcome.
Thanks Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: no spark
Reply #1 - 10/15/10 at 08:49:42

I'd check all things to do with the spark, sparky, coil, cdi, TDC sensor and all wiring in between.

Replacing sparky is the easist, check all the wires, check all connections.  maybe the coil leads are backwards.  maybe your significant other has a savage voodoo doll...  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 10/15/10 at 11:42:46

She probably does...she has given me till April to sell it...running or not. I hope to get her riding it and then she'll want to keep it and then we'll both have little suzi's!
Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe the coil does have something to do with it. The PO's friend (one of the folks working on it) told me that he had removed the strator cover and done some "stuff" in there and maybe didn't connect something... Grin
Guess I'll just keep digging until I find something that's causing it. It's still nice riding weather here so I hesitate to pull stuff off the '06 to test it on the '97 bike...

BTW, where and what is the TDC sensor???

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/15/10 at 13:11:52

under the stator cover, you know, the one he did stuff to.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged