Send Topic Print
Hartman Mod questions (Read 368 times)
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hartman Mod questions
10/14/10 at 15:51:33

I'm wanting to do the Hartman mod (A La Mark K) on my 2006 Boulevard. I tried to reference the link for it, but since it's my first post, I'm not allowed. I'm sure somebody here knows what I'm talking about. Basically, you take out the internal baffle of the stock muffler, and leave the external one that surrounds it in. From the sound sample I've heard on You Tube, it give it a nice bassy thump. It looks fairly straight forward to do, but no where do I find whether or not this requires a rejetting of the carburetor? Let me know if any of you have done this, and if you have any sound samples of your own. I also need a left side cover for it. they seem to be hard to come buy, because of it being realitively new.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hartman Mod questions
Reply #1 - 10/14/10 at 19:15:41

all muff mod's carry the risk of needing a rejet.
get a set of jets from lancer and do it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/14/10 at 19:19:15

The Hartman? Im just NOw figgerin out what the Heimlich is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/14/10 at 19:24:30

http://jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Hartman_Muffler_Mod_Details/hartman...

I also have the pdf from mark k which is very descriptive how-to

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/14/10 at 20:05:56

Yea, thats cool & all, but the Zuki muffler weighs a ton. Im glad mines gone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/14/10 at 21:39:24

The link that Verslagen1 referenced was the one I was going to reference. It's pretty straight forward on how it's done. It looks like there ought to be someone here that's actually done it, to know if I can do it without getting into the carburetor. If I'm going to do that, I may as well spend the money, and get a different muffler. The thing with that, is there are very few sound samples out there, and I could end up with 5 million dollars worth of mufflers and jets heaped in a pile, and still not get the sound I was looking for. I want it to have a nice low rumble, and that one sounds pretty decent. What muffler did you use Justin, and what did it do for your sound/ performance?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/14/10 at 22:11:56

we both have a supertrapp if I remember right.

most people say they are done at 80/85, i do that uphill.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/15/10 at 07:05:13

Supertrapp w/ 14 disks. The sound is very nice, not harsh. It'll roll thru a hospital zone if the throttle is handled right & not bother anyone, or, wick it hard & let it roar.

Trust me, you Want to rejet. I have a stage one cam & IIRC, a 150 main, I get 49 MPG, the kid gets 51, I smile more.
The TRapp & rejet gave it a nice boost in performance, then the cam went in & almost gave me the same boost again. I think I need to finish tuning it with the jets & I think theres more "In there" without changing any more major parts.

Look into getting a fork brace. The handling will be much improved.

If ya cant swint a Trapp,, then theres some nice sounding, very attractive & Cheap HD Dyna mufflers out there that have a rumble in them, decreased restriction, etc,, performance booster for cheap,,

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 10/15/10 at 16:33:13

I did the Hartman mod on my '02's muffler. It was a lot of work and you need to weld the center of the muffler back in the gutted shell. Save yourself some time and effort and just go out and get a sporty muffler and drill out the baffle with a 3/8 or 1/2 bit. Either way you will need a main rejet for the carb and unless you are in love with the big can that comes with the bike a muffler swap is just easier and less work. Just my .02 cents on it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/17/10 at 01:01:21

Ed L. After you did the Hartman mod, did you like the sound of it? I'm thinking about doing it, just to play with. Did you need to rejet? On the other side of the coin, if over the winter I want to install a new muffler, such as the Super trap, is there a set jet size I need to use per muffler, and is there a how to on the forum for jet installation. Supposedly, it's not supposed to be that hard, and you just have to drop the bowl, but since I've never done it, I don't know. Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/17/10 at 01:54:13

If you have a stock muffler in good shape, leave it that way.

Some states are going with mandatory Db testing and soon we will be asking from some of these states "anybody got a stock muffler I can borrow?"

They may get shipped around from person to person so annual testing can be done and passed.

$20 will buy you a take off Harley Dyna Muffler, which is a pretty good muffler for our bikes (I run one on the fastest Savage on the East Coast).  

It is much less trouble than drilling out (and ruining) a good stock muffler which may be quite useful to the list as a whole in its present state.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/17/10 at 09:18:59

unless the requirement is for the epa marking, otherwise it's more likely we'll figure a baffle to slip in for the testing.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/17/10 at 09:42:37

Dunno -- most states that have gone completely anal on us want the OEM spec muffler on the bike and it has to also sniff good for CO2 and hydrocarbons to meet the pollution control year spec for the bike.

We'd best not be scrapping out all the stock mufflers ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 10/17/10 at 18:13:03

OTB, After doing the Hartman mod the bike sounded deeper but not very loud. I rejetted the carb to a 152.5 at the same time for more performance but the bike ran a little rich till I changed over to a K+N drop in replacement air filter. I picked up a '94 Sporty exhaust system and swapped out the muffler as the next mod. The bike sounded the same as with the gutted stock muffler and ran the same. I tried drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the baffle of the sporty muffler which gave a little more growl to the bike but wasn't very loud. Since the muffler was just about free I didn't worry to much about making it too loud and have ended up with a 1/2 hole in the baffle. I have tinkered around with the engine enought so it is not stock any more and the modified sporty muffler is working good. OF has a good point about keeping the exhaust system stock. If you live in a state with emmission and noise regs for bikes you might want to keep the bike stock. I've never had my bike checked for emmissions either here in Florida or up in Pennsylvania where I bought it so I can't be much help in that area.The Hartman Mod is a lot of work and you will need to pull the muffler to do it. It's just simpler to swap it out      

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/17/10 at 19:12:07

I went through a listened to the sound samples. I liked the sound of the Bad Dog over all the rest, but I would imagine it would be incredibly loud. The Jardine was decent, and I liked the Mac Slip on probably the best. Some of the others had a real nice sounding idle, but sounded awful revved up. Others sounded great revved up, and awful on idle. A couple of them sounded like you were listening to a 3 1/2 HP push mower with the muffler rotted off. I like the low thump idle with the low growl rev. I would love to have a bunch of the bikes side by side with the various configurations, and be able to say, "I'll take that one!" I read through the carburetor rejet scenarios, and that seems to be a nightmare. I need a so & so size on a leap year with a full moon, using a thatch Samoan made pot holder for an air filter, while sending it all through a 1" aluminum curtain rod half full of course brillo pads for a muffler! Good God! It looks like as long as these bikes have been out there, there would be something a little more comprehensive on the subject. Then, there's the subjectiveness of what sounds "good". The Dyna sample in the string of samples, I'd be embarrassed to have my 15 HP Wheel Horse sounding like, but the Screamin' Eagle, and the Dyna After Market Turnout samples at the bottom of the page, sounded pretty decent. So now, are we just talking recording quality? It would be nice to know how the bikes are set up that have the Bad dog, and Mac Slip on, to at least have a base line.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:21:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hartman Mod questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.