Send Topic Print
pegs vs floorboards (Read 942 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pegs vs floorboards
10/13/10 at 19:28:47

has anybody ever changed out their pegs for floorboards?? if so does anyone have any pictures.  i'd really like to do it on my bike and just want to get an idea of what it would look like.  thanks

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: pegs vs floorboards
Reply #1 - 10/13/10 at 21:18:36

I need footboards before I do another trek.  After my 2007 ride L.A.-OK.C. the feet hurt more than my butt.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/14/10 at 05:36:02

Here is a set that a few people have used with success.  $39.99 Someone should have a pic with them mounted.  I keep considering them, but haven't decided if I'm ready for them yet.  Maybe try searching this forum for J&P Cycles, item # 5500000  

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5500000

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 10/14/10 at 07:17:11

Those look like the ones I put on my bike. Keep in mind you have to drill out the hole on the board that the bolt goes through to attach it to our clevis. At least on the ones I got our bolt was just "that much" too big to go through.

I also found that even with the alternate angle placement the boards still tilt down at the front a tich too much for me to be truly comfortable. That being said they are still WAY better than riding a 4,200 mile round trip with the stock pegs. I've done it both ways and will never go back.

The rubber pads on these floor boards are thin and the glue holding them is pretty weak. When (not if) the rubber comes off I hope you catch it. I then used a stronger adhesive I got at a big box hardware store and now they stay put. I also eventually made a thicker set of pads with a much better non-skid pattern on them from a welcome mat I picked up at the same store.

Don't know how well they show up, but you can get an idea of how they look on a non-stock Sav.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 10/14/10 at 10:28:31

Jack's bike pics...

Are you able to tilt them slightly more upward in the front?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/14/10 at 11:03:28

EJID wrote on 10/14/10 at 10:28:31:
Are you able to tilt them slightly more upward in the front?

Those things are such a booger!,... I've messed with them on Gerry's bike,... and no you can't...
They are stuck at that slight forward tilt,.. redrilling is not an option, we tried it... The only way would be to fashion a new mounting post for them...
I may try that, using a piece of plumbing pipe...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 10/14/10 at 11:54:30

To change the angle I have off-&-on at various times considered using a vise and a long pipe for leverage and just trying to twist the rod to get a better positioning. Don't want to mess things up worse than they are already though. And don't want to spend the money AGAIN.

Another idea I've been toying with is to make yet another set of pads, wedge shaped, with the fronts set higher then the backs. Just got to figure out how to do the cuts on that big flat surface smoothly enough so it doesn't look too trashy. Or do the Harley thang and rig up some kind of rubber springy thingies between the metal and the feet with it taller in the front.

Jack

IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #7 - 10/14/10 at 12:41:59

I put a set of Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs on my bike a while back. Get to stretch out the legs really nice on the longer rides. They can usually be found on ebay if interested.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/14/10 at 13:32:54

I have H-D floorboards & Ed L foward control plates, put together with brackets I fabricated. PITA to do, but I'm happy with the results. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 10/14/10 at 14:12:15

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/14/10 at 13:32:54:
I have H-D floorboards & Ed L foward control plates, put together with brackets I fabricated. PITA to do, but I'm happy with the results. Cool

Ridge, the angle on yours look much more comfortable. If I could pull that off without a PITA fabrication project that would be ideal. At only 5'8" adding Ed's forward controls probably would not be recommended.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 10/14/10 at 15:03:40

I've got the floor boards and they do tilt a little and also are not really tight, they wobble a little. I have 4k on them and will never go back.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 10/14/10 at 18:01:50

Jack_650 wrote on 10/14/10 at 11:54:30:
To change the angle I have off-&-on at various times considered using a vise and a long pipe for leverage and just trying to twist the rod to get a better positioning. Don't want to mess things up worse than they are already though. And don't want to spend the money AGAIN.

Another idea I've been toying with is to make yet another set of pads, wedge shaped, with the fronts set higher then the backs. Just got to figure out how to do the cuts on that big flat surface smoothly enough so it doesn't look too trashy. Or do the Harley thang and rig up some kind of rubber springy thingies between the metal and the feet with it taller in the front.

Jack

How about a thin wedge made of wood (or something), then topped with a layer of rubber?   Paint the wood black, or maybe some chrome trimming, and trim the rubber real nice and even with the wood?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 10/14/10 at 20:45:24

See, leave it to the Hog-Mistress to take the whole view of things. I saw my problem and then saw the end result. Just never would have thought of trying the wood wedge (or should I do cultural and say wedge-wood?) as a spacer. Much easier to whittle wood than trying to get a smooth bottom on a flexible rubber type material.

In fact, now that you've put me on that track, I would bet that the standard shaped shims from Menards or Home Depot would just about be the perfect angle for this job. And as a bonus they can be gotten in a synthetic material that won't absorb water or splinter. A little bed liner spray for texture and things could be lookin' cool.

In the words of "Hannibal" Smith" - I love it when a plan comes together. Even if somebody else had to come up with the plan.

Jack

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 10/15/10 at 05:36:24

Jack, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  (and how to secure the wedge to the floorboard?)  but I bet you will come up with something.  Bedliner texture is a great idea.

Does this mean I'm on the A-Team now??   Wink

~Hog-Mistress....  that's funny   Grin  

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 10/15/10 at 07:00:33

The metal on these particular floorboards is pretty smooth, not a great base for adhesives. First thought this time around would be to use the grinder and rough the surfaces up for a better glue grip. Another idea is to drill a few small holes for either the sticky stuff to "bleed through" for grip, or for small screws from underneath to be used. Or both. You can never have to much overkill as I often repeatedly say over and over again time after time.

It'll be a while before the Thunder Bee hits the streets again. I got the billowing cloud of electrical induced white smoke from under the tank problem solved. Now it's finding where the kickstand cut-off problem lies. Since our stands don't lock in the down position I may just go commando and bypass it altogether.

Thought "Hog-Mistress" might sound more provocative than the "Porcine-Princess." And "Pork-Chopper" for a biker name just seems wrong on several levels. That's just one bacon lovers opinion though.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:24:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pegs vs floorboards

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.