Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leather vs Fabric riding jackets (Read 169 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Leather vs Fabric riding jackets
10/13/10 at 16:23:52

I was just wondering what everyones opinion of different styles of jackets are and maybe some of the pros and cons of them.  I am in the market for a good riding jacket and have the option of a leather one and an a fabric or synthetic one that has the Kevlar pads inside for protection.  I would love to hear everyones view on this because among my friends in the area they seem to be split evenly and pretty strong in their opinions.  Thanks everyone

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Leather vs Fabric riding jackets
Reply #1 - 10/13/10 at 17:22:29

have both and a mesh.
leather will be better in a fall
fabric is one of those and it's done
I assume the same for the mesh.
leather is warm but heavy.
so can be the fabric and it's light weight.
mesh is cool in the hottest weather, well at least it's vented.

WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/13/10 at 17:54:19

all have good points and bad

I have a leather jacket that weighs a ton, but it isn't very well vented so it is pretty much a cold weather only.  for when you want the real biker experience lol

I just got a denim cortech with armor, arm, chest, and back vents, works well except when it gets really warm.  doesnt give the "look" like the leather does

hot weather brings out a mesh jacket, in silver and black.  
This is may actually be the most versatile with a good insulated jacket underneath.  I actually wore it a lot in cool weather.

btw, all came off of ebay prolly $160 for all

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/13/10 at 18:28:34

bought a "cheap" water buffalo jacket on line $30 had the local seamstress install a ykk zipper$25..
you can have your siny gfabrics theres nuttin like real "leather"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 10/13/10 at 19:58:54

I have 2 different leather jackets. One is heavier weight than the other for different temps. The heavier one allows me to wear several layers under as well.
Then I have my lighter weight leather for spring and summer riding.
I also have a mesh that has the body armour and is great for those not too cold days.
Then I have a wool coat that I wear. Now your talking warm...I also wear crocheted scarfs that my Mom makes tucked into my shirts under my jackets.
O and then  their is the Balcalava that I wear at times too..
Here we have to be prepared for not only temps that can dip suddenly but rain as well.
O and then their is all my other insulated gear, coveralls and snow pants...
Sorry to get a lil off topic, just figured I would throw in some other ideas for the cooler weather.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 10/13/10 at 20:05:54

I have a fabric jacket with a zip in lining. Waterproof and warm. I use it for trips out of town. It is quite comfortable to wear. I have a mesh which is great in the hot weather. Once in a while on the rare hot days I wear boots, jeans and a tee shirt around town. Its great, but ....

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 10/13/10 at 21:21:24

I wear my leather most of the year, but keep a mesh Joe Rocket Ballistic for long trips in the summer. The pads include a kidney belt and camel hump that comes in handy on the Savage for highway comfort on windy days.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/13/10 at 21:40:21

thick leather. If it's just too freaking hot for leather I just wear a shirt. Leather isnt awesome for "falls". If you take a high side and get tossed you're leather is doing less than the pads in synthetic jackets but they're probably not doing a whole lot either. It's better for low side scraping and saving your skin. It'll take a few downs when your more expensive fabrics will only take one, maybe two.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/13/10 at 21:54:59

the higher the price you pay ,the more likely you are to have a crash. Grin

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 10/14/10 at 05:23:44

dv8, as you can see, there are many different choices and opinions.  Some here are "all the gear, all the time", and some will wear t-shirts and shorts.

Personally, when its cold, I wear my insulated leather jacket.  I highly recommend chaps if you live in a cold climate.  They make an amazing difference.  I wear mine if its below 50°, although I'm naturally cold.  I have a thin, long sleeve, form-fitting, breathable fabric jacket for cool temps.  T-shirt is my favorite, as I prefer to ride when its warm and sunny!  

The key is comfort!  Wear what you are comfortable wearing --looks-wise, fit-wise, temperature-wise, protection-wise... that's my philosophy.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 10/14/10 at 07:06:47

Leather, all the time !

He!!, I was BORN fully clad in leather !!!

Grin Grin Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/14/10 at 07:18:54

Here's a little "Stayin above freezing" tip. Since the chest gets blasted with the air, I use a fleece lined, big pistol carrier, unzipped all the way & opened up. It covers a large %age of the chest & really helps when its painfully cold.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 10/14/10 at 07:37:37

I have two jackets, one leather, one mesh, both have "armor" at the appropriate places. Both are MC specific jackets and would not be comfortable to wear much if you aren't riding - arms are shaped, waist is tight, etc.

I got the mesh jacket because I figured it would be cooler than the leather one in summer. I got the leather because I thought it would last longer.

I tried the mesh a couple of times in the summer, and decided it was actually hotter than the thick leather jacket - I speculate due to the heat transferring directly to me because the back of the jacket "sticks" to me even when I'm moving. The leather jacket has lots of vents in front and one across the back. The front has an perforated leather panel that has a zipper to open the front and expose the perforated leather . All of this allows air to enter the jacket and puff the jacket up (I probably look like the sta-puff marshmallow man (in black leather) when I'm going down the road. I think this is what makes me feel cooler if the sun is beating down from above - kind of a heat shield.

The leather has seen much more use than the mesh (my son uses the mesh now), but the leather has held up much better. I'm guessing that if I wore the mesh every day like I do the leather, it would have been replaced a couple of times by now.

In cooler weather, once I zip the leather jacket up it is much warmer than the mesh jacket. It also came with a quilted liner that zips in. For winter, I have an electric jacket I put under the leather jacket.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 10/14/10 at 10:05:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/14/10 at 07:18:54:
Here's a little "Stayin above freezing" tip. Since the chest gets blasted with the air, I use a fleece lined, big pistol carrier, unzipped all the way & opened up. It covers a large %age of the chest & really helps when its painfully cold.

GRRREAT TIP !

Come to think of it, my grand-dad way back in the '30s would fold up yesterday's newspaper, it seems paper is airtight and the many layers worked like an "onion effect" and kept the cold air out, warm air in, and no sweaty undershirts.

Waaay back in dem ol' days...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/15/10 at 13:17:18

mpescatori wrote on 10/14/10 at 07:06:47:
He!!, I was BORN fully clad in leather !!!

Grin Grin Grin

Technically, it ain't Leather until it's Tanned!
So you better be getting your Arse to a nude beach!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:57:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Leather vs Fabric riding jackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.