Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Rider - clutch question (Read 304 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
New Rider - clutch question
10/12/10 at 19:53:24

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I got my motorcycle endorsement this summer, after taking the MSF safety course, and I just bought my first bike a week ago.  I got a used 2006 black Suzuki S-40, with 4000 miles on it.  I've been riding it everyday since then Smiley.  I'm trying to get more riding experience on it, build up my skills.

I do have a clutching question for everyone here.  In the city, I can only get about 25mpg around the particular route/area I take.  As such, I think I'm going to try to save a bit of gas by cruising down on clutch/neutral going towards stoplights.  Do you know if it's bad to hold down the clutch a lot on a bike?  I know for cars, it's not recommended, as it can wear out the clutch spring (so I hear).

Thanks all.  I'm so glad there's this forum here for Suzuki owners.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: New Rider - clutch question
Reply #1 - 10/12/10 at 20:10:26

Welcome, and safe riding to you. I wouldn't worry about the clutch springs, but nearly everyone on here will tell you to keep your bike in gear at intersections and watch your mirriors for rear enders and keep a lookout for an avenue of escape if someone tries to ride up your back. Get a Clymers Manual and check the air filter now. Change the oil and filter. Check the air in your tires. I really don't understand how you can get such bad mileage. Anybody else think this is way too low, even in the city?  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/12/10 at 20:11:22

S'not good on any manual clutch vehicle.
Why are you getting less than half the MPG that anyone else is?
Do you travel only up steep hills in lower gears and never come down?
Your machine should be getting in excess of 50 MPG.
Mine averaged 45MPG pulling a sidecar.  Some folks on this site regularly get above 60MPG.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/12/10 at 20:21:05

In cars you wear out the throw out bearing.

In this m/c, the springs might take a set by holding them fully compressed.  And maybe wearout your hand.   Grin

check for gas leaks,
check the vac line for gas (should be dry)
check the air filter, air in the tires, etc.

last time oil was changed?

welcome to the club, btw.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #4 - 10/12/10 at 21:18:48

Keep the skills the MSF people taught you. You aren't the reason for such poor mileage. The motorcycle you have is at fault. An LS should get better then 40 under the worst conditions and realistically around + or - 50 though 60 would be reachable. As the others have said, check and tune. If it's running good, don't take this wrong but is your math calculation correct. Miles divided by gallons. I only say it because I've caught myself going ..duh.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/13/10 at 03:04:55

I've got a Stage One cam, 155 main jet, Supertrapp exhaust & Im not riding to save gas & I Still get 49 MPG.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/13/10 at 10:00:25

Heck, I get worse mileage than Justin does, maybe new rider's just enjoying himself with his new bike and running the silly snot out of it

Huh   ...... ?

Clutch push rod may get shortened a bit by holding the clutch in all the time.  Kind of a silly thing to do, really.

Roll Eyes

Your bike is in rough shape if it is stockish ..... start with a tune up, then monitor gas mileage.

You bought it used -- did the PO change out the stock jets by any chance?

« Last Edit: 10/13/10 at 17:04:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 10/13/10 at 11:16:04

Old Feller, and Howitzer,

25 mpg or less on a Savage means there is something seriously wrong. Even riding the heck out of mine, I never got lower than 48 mpg. Over all the miles I rode mine, I averaged 52 mpg.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/13/10 at 18:33:54

There are all kinds of stupid things people can do to a bike to kill the gas mileage.

My favorite was to adjust the rear brake petal so it didn't take much motion to have it start to engage ..... (that's orginally what I thought you were supposed to do ....   Wink  I wuz stupid at one time too )

It took a couple of trips to the gas pump for me to realise the rear brake was dragging all the time (slightly, but always on)

Our new boy's got to start looking for things that are wrong -- he can start with "dragging brakes".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/13/10 at 18:35:59

I always did the opposite so you had to push harder on the brake.I use the rear brake more than the front,I know lots of people say thats not the way but its the way I like it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 10/14/10 at 11:12:23

Thanks for all the replies guys.  I'll check again for the gas mileage on the second fill-up.  I just fill-up until the gas pump stops, and see how many miles I put on since last time.  I'll also see if I can change the air filter/oil filter.  The oil looks a bit dirty...but there's only 4000 miles on this bike.  The previous owner didn't do much but ride it 1-2 miles to work and back every day.  I'm doing pretty much the same.

One thing to note.  I use the choke to start the engine, and pretty much leave it on for a mile or two.  That will basically take me all the way to school.  It's pretty cold in the morning (40-50's), and the engine seems to struggle a bit if I leave it off.  This ups the fuel consumption, so maybe that's part of why my mileage is so low?

@Boofer: Will check the air filter.

@Verslagen1: The PO said he brought it in for an oil change this spring.  He said he didn't do anything to the bike other than that, in the two years he owned it.

@Lupo:  I hope my math is wrong.  I'll check again at the next fillup.  Then I'll be having one of those ...duh moments.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #11 - 10/14/10 at 11:14:31

Oh I should add that I ran Sea Foam through it two days ago.  I still have it in my tank I believe, as I didn't use up the whole tank yet.  Didn't see much smoke, and inside the gas tank is shiny clean, as far as I can see.  I'll check again for smoke when I start it later today.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 10/14/10 at 12:29:57

To get an accurate reading on your mileage, you need to visually fill the tank to the (exact) same level each time, or check the mpg over a few thousand miles keeping a log of how many gallons are used. If you are not keeping track of mileage over the long term, make sure that you fill up at the same location (so the lean angle is the same) and visually fill the tank to the same level - be careful not to overfill, the bottom of the fill neck is where you want the level to end up, not above.

With the small tank on MCs (and the Savage has one of the smallest, a small difference between one fill up and the next can make a significant difference, I don't think you said how many miles you were basing your calculation on, but if you are going about 100 miles between fillups, which is pretty typical, you wouldn't be able to fit enough gas in the tank.

If I happened to leave the choke on my way to work when I rode the Savage, the engine would be completely warmed up and not running right once I pulled up to a stop sign (reminding me that I should push that thing off). I never noticed much of a difference in mileage, but I'm sure there was some.

Even with only 4000 miles, your Savage is close to 7 years old, with one oil change - I'd get it changed now Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/14/10 at 14:06:52

Leaving your choke on all the time will KILL your gas mileage.   Don't leave the choke on after you get the bike up and rolling, push it back in and the engine will warm up after the first minute of rolling down the road.

If the bike won't run apart from choke, you have something else wrong with it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/14/10 at 14:22:26

mornhm - FSO wrote on 10/14/10 at 12:29:57:
To get an accurate reading on your mileage, you need to visually fill the tank to the (exact) same level each time, or check the mpg over a few thousand miles keeping a log of how many gallons are used. If you are not keeping track of mileage over the long term, make sure that you fill up at the same location (so the lean angle is the same) and visually fill the tank to the same level - be careful not to overfill, the bottom of the fill neck is where you want the level to end up, not above.

With the small tank on MCs (and the Savage has one of the smallest, a small difference between one fill up and the next can make a significant difference, I don't think you said how many miles you were basing your calculation on, but if you are going about 100 miles between fillups, which is pretty typical, you wouldn't be able to fit enough gas in the tank.

If I happened to leave the choke on my way to work when I rode the Savage, the engine would be completely warmed up and not running right once I pulled up to a stop sign (reminding me that I should push that thing off). I never noticed much of a difference in mileage, but I'm sure there was some.

Even with only 4000 miles, your Savage is close to 7 years old, with one oil change - I'd get it changed now Shocked Shocked Shocked

How do you come up with close to 7 years old its a 2006.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rider - clutch question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.