Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Rider - clutch question (Read 304 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: New Rider - clutch question
Reply #15 - 10/14/10 at 14:42:02

bill67 wrote on 10/14/10 at 14:22:26:
mornhm - FSO wrote on 10/14/10 at 12:29:57:
To get an accurate reading on your mileage, you need to visually fill the tank to the (exact) same level each time, or check the mpg over a few thousand miles keeping a log of how many gallons are used. If you are not keeping track of mileage over the long term, make sure that you fill up at the same location (so the lean angle is the same) and visually fill the tank to the same level - be careful not to overfill, the bottom of the fill neck is where you want the level to end up, not above.

With the small tank on MCs (and the Savage has one of the smallest, a small difference between one fill up and the next can make a significant difference, I don't think you said how many miles you were basing your calculation on, but if you are going about 100 miles between fillups, which is pretty typical, you wouldn't be able to fit enough gas in the tank.

If I happened to leave the choke on my way to work when I rode the Savage, the engine would be completely warmed up and not running right once I pulled up to a stop sign (reminding me that I should push that thing off). I never noticed much of a difference in mileage, but I'm sure there was some.

Even with only 4000 miles, your Savage is close to 7 years old, with one oil change - I'd get it changed now Shocked Shocked Shocked

How do you come up with close to 7 years old its a 2006.

Model year
1...2006 (likely production started in 2005)
2...2007 (likely production started in 2006)
3...2008 (likely production started in 2007)
4...2009 (likely production started in 2008)
5...2010 (likely production started in 2009)
6...2011 (likely production started in 2010)

So technically a 2006 bike was produced in 2005 making it 7 years old in 2011 (almost there!!!)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #16 - 10/14/10 at 15:03:38

Haha, it would still be 5 years old if it was made in 2005.

2005-2006 = 1 year
2006-2007
2007-2008
2008-2009
2009-2010 = 5 years.  It was made sometime in 2005, as it is now sometime in 2010.

Thanks for the tips on filling the gas tank though.  I read in the manual to fill up to the neck level, but it was hard to see down the tank when I filled it, so I just stuck the spout in, and added until it stopped.  How do you guys look into the can to check fillup level?  I figured the spout was long enough that I wouldn't overfill, but maybe I am underfilling the tank now.

I drove it about 50 miles, and added 2 gallons from the last time I filled up.  But may I really just didn't fill up the tank correctly.  You guys are making me feel like I simply calculated the mileage wrong, or didn't fill up correctly!

There was an oil change earlier this year, and I'll guess there was maybe a thousand miles put on it after?

@Oldfeller: I'll try to turn off the choke sooner.  Still getting used to this bike, and it just seemed to run stronger with the choke on  Roll Eyes.  It does run with the choke off, in the cold mornings, but there is less power output than warmed up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 10/14/10 at 15:47:08

The reason not to run with choke on is that extra gas goes into the cylinder washing the oil off the walls causing extra oil consumption.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 10/14/10 at 19:13:46

He was sayin its 7 y/o in Rotella years. In klotz years, its still new, on the showroom floor! With Suzuki oil, its exactly as old as it is on the callender.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 10/15/10 at 05:08:45

Now folks, that was an excellent example of Billogic  (for those that could follow it along through the various rotations).

Remember, Bill thinks that way and he speaks a slightly different language of his very own that we have termed "Billish" to differentiate it from English.  

The main syntax of Billish is the one liner, where he takes a situation and rotates it 20 degrees from normal reality in at least two axis (which generally is worth a chuckle to be sure and is often times great comic relief from our daily grind, which is why we all love Bill).

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 10/15/10 at 05:15:53

OK, so your rear brake is got enough slop in it that you think it may be "too loose" and you are turning your choke off as soon as the bike gets rolling good.

What is your gas mileage this week?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 10/15/10 at 06:21:30

I've put 40 miles on it so far, but I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I'll have to post back when I use up my current tank.  I did start turning off the choke after running.  I don't think there's a problem with the rear brake though.  I think that was someone else's suggestion.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 10/15/10 at 06:30:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/14/10 at 19:13:46:
He was sayin its 7 y/o in Rotella years. In klotz years, its still new, on the showroom floor! With Suzuki oil, its exactly as old as it is on the callender.

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #23 - 10/15/10 at 21:35:29

Could it be possible that you have a leak somewhere? I have a 10 horse Snapper Briggs&Stratton engine with a sticky float. I caught it leaking fuel from the top of the carb where the breather sits. It did not get into the oil, but I don't know why. In line cut-off fixed it. When the regular stuff fails to work out, look for something kooky. I would empty the tank completely, put in one gallon of gas from a marked container that verifies the pump reading. Then I would drive it at 55 mph on a road trip and check how many miles it takes to run dry in prime or reserve. Take a quart of gas with you to get to a gas station. Not scientific, but close. If it leaks overnight and goes back to its old tricks after that, you'll know it. Good luck. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rider - clutch question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.